Why did you buy a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I brought our first Motorhome in 1971 a CI Landliner at the tender age of 21:) The reason being we both loved waterskiing and love getting away to lakes/lochs/sea for days at a time, the obvious solution was a Motorhome, it would tow the boat and give us accommodation all in one package ,
we had a week beside Ullswater waterskiing and paragliding but upset a local who drained my gearbox oil when we were out on the lake,
didn't find out until heading for Keswick the gearbox seized, luckily enough we managed to get her off the road into a field but couldn't stay over because the Motorhome was at a 30% angle,
we walked in to Keswick and spent a night in a hotel:p
9 months later my Daughter was born(y) so my Motorhome days had come to a end:cry: well for about 10 years:)
haven't looked back since!

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Wifey and Me have always loved the great outdoors and what it offers.
We tented and trailer tented when our children were growing up in the 70's.
Moved on to an old Sprite caravan in the 80's then had a beautiful 1971 VW Devon Moonraker Bay Window camper for 16 years, towed an Eriba Puck Caravan for the last 8 years with it.
We then fancied a bit more luxury and are now on our 3rd motorhome, a new Hymer Exsis i 688 and we love it! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just before my other half retired, she asked me how did we want to spend the rest of our lives. After giving it some thought we came up with the idea of travelling the canals & rivers. After selling our old house & the company I owned, we bought a narrowboat. After spending 8yrs living on it & touring the UK we eventually bought an apartment in Nantwich as the boat was getting to much for me due to failing health. Not sure what to do next as we love touring, eileen came up with the idea of a motorhome. So before making a definette decision we hired one to tour Scotland. Within 3days we just knew that this is what we needed to give us the freedom we were looking for. Without a doubt. It is the best thing we did. We have met some fantastic people, made some great freinds. Joined a brilliant club with experts in their own right, ready to assist (funsters). On the whole, wished we had done it sooner. (y)(y)(y)
That perfectly mirrors my reasons ..the only difference was that I sold our narrow boat as my wife had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and unfortunately passed away before we had the chance to use our motorhome together..however its been the best thing we could have done as I use it most of the spring,summer and autumn months,yep I am a fair weather motorhomer.and I love it ..couldn't imagine any other acquisition that would give so much pleasure.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We bought our first van as an alternative to a USA holiday that got cancelled due to me having a silent heart attack in 1992, there was an old Bedford CF campervan traded in at the garage where I worked at the time, I overhauled it mechanically, resprayed it , and set off for Scotland, the rest is history.!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we have tried tents, no good in the wind. on to a static got fed up with it . we are now into our third motorhome. which we have had for 25 years now. we still love it. and as a PS. well done to @GeebeeJaybee . we only foster kids. so we wish you all the best.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Frame tent, trailer tent and 2 caravans preceded our motorhome for about 30 years. I got fed up with making up the caravan bed and fighting to get the fitted sheet over all the various cushions. The palava with hitching up, unhitching, corner steadies, aqua rolls, waste water hogs, putting up and taking down huge metal frame Isabella awning with extra bedrooms etc. and the van was getting old at over 20 years but the Bessacarr Cameo 4.7-2 was bought by a couple to live in while they do up their villa in Portugal so she's not dead yet and never ever leaked or had damp!

We had decided on a new caravan but at the last moment fund out that the Volvo estate was not heavy enough and didn't want to buy a big 4 WD car to tow her so we moved to a motorhome and have not looked back.

The funny thing is we now wonder why we ever bothered with a fitted sheet! Nowadays we just put down a cotton bedspread over the top of the MoHo cushions in the lounge and it works a treat.

We love the touring aspect of the MoHo spending a day or two here and there rather than travelling miles and miles and then pitching up for a fortnight and then going home. We did 3900 miles this summer following the Rhine and then the Danube to Vienna and then southern Austria, Italian lakes, French Riviera and then home after a month.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thank you for that. we think that it is a challenge . but for you it is for life. just like motorhomes. they are for life. we hope to see you at a meet sometime.(y):devil::giggler:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is turning out to be more interesting than I had anticipated A35s and Anglia van conversions fantastic. I thought that I was one of the longest users but I am just a beginner compared to some.
I must come back and re visit tomorrow as I'm getting some looks for not communicating;)

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Always wanted to just drive to the beach, park up, put the kettle on and enjoy the view. Many years ago, mid 70s, there used to be a little van called the fiat 850t, always took my fancy, as did the VWs, but they were out of my price range. As career and income developed, i ended up buying the vauxhall zafira, had additional power point put in the back of it. Then about 5 years camping at commercial sites, 3 way fridge etc. Then basically the next 10 years going on cruises, from the artic to the antartic and almost everything in between. Retired at 61, had my lump sum and used some of it to buy my first motorhome, took me 3 goes to get it right and finally bought a pre owned citroen relay astec. Have stuck with that van now, and will fi ish my days in it. I also like course fishing and part of the idea was to find a site, park up and go fishing. Tryed that at Corfe castle last year, but wind tore through us. Hoping still to achieve the fishing bit, but in for a hip replacement in 3 weeks time, then recovery. So it looks like Pershaw in August will be my first outing. Im also local to Calshot near Southampton water, so hopefully a couple of trips there. No regrets at all, achieved what i always wanted to do, in comfort, health will determine the future.

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Bought tent second hand. First pitch was near Norwich. Middle of the night I nudged the missus and asked why she had brought the yard brush that was brushing against my leg. She hadn't. Torch on. And there was a hedgehog eating our lettuce. Sold the tent in a couple of weeks having fumigated it. Never camped again.
Got a company car and missus insisted on a caravan. Had five great years. Then the company car rules changed.
Saw a motorhome at a show and realised it would do everything the caravan could and provide a base for days out which were increasing as our growing boys wanted to go to airshows, truck shows, etc. Twenty five years on, we still use the van for days out with clean toilet and tea and cake on hand, and for short covid isolation! Might get back to touring again soon!

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
So- Mid May 2017 sat on a hotel balcony in Greece celebrating SWMBO's 65th and we got talking to the couple next door as we did each evening over a glass or two.He said he couldn't wait to get home to get to Scotland for a month in their MH. I was a little taken aback as I didn't think the hotel was that bad. Bloody hell, I'd splashed out on the big birthday and pulled in many contacts as an ex hotel manager to make it as special as possible:LOL:We chatted about costs, about where they'd been, about how it all worked and it got me thinking.

We'd swapped sunbeds around the world for a few years and were a bit fed up of the flying, moving on when you might like to stay longer, getting to somewhere that wasn't as good as expected so the seed was well and truly sown so I put the case to the boss and tentative agreement was reached.
We returned to the UK and started looking with no real idea what we were doing ( that still applies BTW!) and, to cut a long story short, by June 11th we were on the ferry to France in our new -to us- MH having exceeded our initial budget by a good 20k. We surprised tugger friends a couple of weeks later by truning up at the wine festival in Haro.
Inevitably we changed layouts after that 1st year - adding yet more 1000's to the budget- but love the freedom, the ability to go where you like when you like and the friends made along the way.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Having done the tent and caravan rite of passage we'd promised ourselves a motorhome as our retirement present. Then whilst buying my paper on the way into work there was a sign on the counter RIP to our friend and colleague Len. I had only been chatting to him about his forthcoming retirement and his plans a week or so beforehand.
We bought our first van soon afterwards

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We used to jet off all over, Jamaica, Canary Islands, Thailand, Egypt and India. I always hated flying but after 9/11 I said I would never fly again. So we toured France and Corsica in the car. The only thing I hated about it was the hotels. We spotted a MH in Corsica and that's when we first got the idea. Anyway, a couple of years later we took the plunge and bought a Rollerteam. I remember the salesman roaring with laughter when Steve asked him where do you put your suitcases in this thing. When Stanley our puppy came along he was the reason we went out in it for the first time as I had made friends with other puppy owners online and we arranged a meet in Wales (y) Since then we have had MH,MH two caravans then back to MH. I think we are on our 5th now in 15 years. This latest is the longest we have kept one. We have travelled all over England, Wales, Spain, France and Germany and we love it, as have our dogs.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Never been tenting , various static caravan holidays as a kid , 2008 i was just browsing EBay when i saw a T2 Danbury for sale that didn’t meet its reserve price , contacted the seller and a deal was struck , kept it for 5 years and had a ball ,great holidays but very much glorified camping .
2013 went to the NEC and saw the van we currently still own ( chopped the VW in ) , so I guess we just drifted into the MH lifestyle , I’m currently waiting on a phone call from Nichola at IH to negotiate the purchase of a N 680RL , another chapter of this glorious pastime is about to begin .

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
We caravanned for many years as we have always had a dog and loved to take them with us. We love France but found we were restricted onto sites, limited to a few weeks holiday during the working years so when we retired and had the time and illness and marriage restricted the putting up of awnings the motorhome was the answer.
What a result, the French villages and Towns we could not enter can now be entered and we can park on the fantastic aires at a pensioner rate :love: and no bloody awnings or divorces.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Having sailed the Med from France to Greece/Turkey, mostly in the latter two, for 25 years and having flown many times looking down on Europe from the 'two front seats' I decided it was time to explore more of the inside of Europe.

Bought the N&B Arto(2003) in 2009.

For first 5 years kept boat and MH, but did not have enough time to maintain and use both so the boat went.

I feel the boat life and MH life are similar, but one can cover more ground in the MH also the weather is not such a big consideration. Cost is about the same, both capital and running, but I did not pay much to keep the boat in Greece.

In summary I came ashore to my 'land yacht', but which I can get up the Alps and Pyrenees.

Geoff

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Whilst I have done tents & still have several, mine was bought to allow me to go to the places like others describe & then get the backpack out, put the tent in, disappear for a couple of days before returning to clean pants & a cuppa as I like it.
To also enable me to take my kayak to places, have a paddle & when I’ve capsized as invariably I shall, have a nice shower & another cuppa as I like it.

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Bought our first one while living in Spain 22 years ago to go back and forth to blighty for family visits.
we love the freedom to just up and go.
Had a mad spell during lockdown (obviously not in our right minds)where we thought having a caravan would enable us to park the van up and drive around seeing the sights without having to pack everything up!
Not for us the caravan life! Say no more, sold the caravan and car, and have just bought another MH couldn’t wait to go back to motorhoming and are off in a couple of weeks.

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
We bought our first MH 22 years ago while living in Spain to go back and forth to blighty for family visits, have been hooked ever since, we love the freedom to just up and go without all the faff.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
In my youth hitch hiked all over Britain with a tent on my back ,camped with mates for weeks most summers ,then family life so cheap package holidays until the kids left and we decided to go back to music festivals,tent on back again along with the kitchen sink😃then five years ago my wife was critically injured in a RTA (19 broken bones ,8 operations !)and we decided IF she made a recovery we would live our lives to the full ,stop work (she had no choice.)keep going to festivals but carrying stuff was out as well as sleeping on the floor so motorhoming here we come (six festivals booked this year) and off to France for the rugby World Cup next year😄

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We sold the boat but still wanted to get away, so decided on a MH. We’ve seen more places in the last eight years than you ever would with a boat. The adventures continue.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We sold the boat but still wanted to get away, so decided on a MH. We’ve seen more places in the last eight years than you ever would with a boat. The adventures continue.

I agree and we have done the same, but there are some experiences on a boat - like swimming through an underwater cave from one side of a Greek island to the other (70m?) and straight from bed diving into crystal clear blue water.

Just two different experiences attached to MHs and boats.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I agree and we have done the same, but there are some experiences on a boat - like swimming through an underwater cave from one side of a Greek island to the other (70m?) and straight from bed diving into crystal clear blue water.

Just two different experiences attached to MHs and boats.
We sailed a lot in Turkey and here on the East Coast. I loved every single minute, especially swimming from the boat, catching the afternoon winds in Turkey and anchoring with a line ashore for a peaceful night. Oh the memories!

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We hired a caravan in what is now Harare, Zimbabwe to take to Beira in Mozambique as our first venture using a VW Variant upping a Sprite 400 with two very small children. Then we waited until 1976 and bought a used Sprite Alpine, and so on to our last caravan, a Burstner which was sold in 2017 on us buying our motorhome, see the picture. Why go for that? The freedom to move on when we feel like and stop when we feel like it. Starting with a caravan meant we knew more or less what we wanted, double floored to stow away the "clutter", sleeps and carries four people legally. We have been into Portugal, Germany, Poland and back in the motorhome but been init Hungary, both parts of former Czechoslovakia, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, France, Spain, and Italy. with the caravans. Much of the "clutter" with a caravan is the water and waste containers and not as much storage as in this motorhome. At 6 metres it fits most places for parking but the narrow West Country roads are a nightmare! But we love it!. Our plans for the summer have been scuppered a bit by the Russian business as we wanted to go around the Baltic from Denmark up to Finand through Russia and down to Baltic States back into Poland. Russia is off of course but we might skip out that bit by ferry across to Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, etc. Anyone wh has done this i would like to hear how you got on.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Mum and dad brought one and I want allowed to borrow it so I brought one aswell

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We’ve come up the usual tent/caravan route. Happy with tugging until with our second caravan we had to stop in Spain due to exceptionally heavy rain storm. We and two kids got literally soaked to the skin going from car to caravan, which didn’t do the inside of the caravan much good. An inheritance shortly after led to our first motorhome, a 30’ RV complete with toad.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I think I'd skip the Baltic if I were you. I don't think Mad Vlad is going to stop at Ukraine. "Liberating" Kaliningrad from the 'western oppressors' will see him stirring it in Lithuania I wouldn't mind betting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back