Why compressor fridges - Adria? (2 Viewers)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just had a catalogue sent to me from Adria. On all the PVC’s they are only using compressor fridges why? On all previous vans we have had 3 way fridges with automatic change over, which we like as they are no trouble you stop for a few minutes and they change from electric to gas , no hassle!

With compressor fridges I understand you have to keep them on electric 12v or mains all the time. Is this not a drain on the battery, especially in the winter When you have heating and tv on etc etc. We spend a lot of time off grid 5 to 6 days I can’t see that would be of use to us as do like the Look of Adria pvc.

Colyboy

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Perfect if you have no gas on board! we have a thetford compressor fridge,100w solar and two 110a batteries but it does depend on your usage, we can manage 4/5 days depending on the amount of sunshine and have been thinking of adding another solar panel to help out on those not so sunny days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
No holes in the side of the van for vents & the van doesn't have to be level for it to work well. We like ours & chills & freezes much better than the 3 way fridge we had in our previous motorhome but have 2 batteries & 200W solar to make sure enough power - been fine for Spring through to Autumn camping but not tested in winter in UK yet so EHU may be needed then if running tv etc.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it reflects how the majority of MHs are used, either on sites with EHU or touring using aires - which means the batteries get charged by the daily driving. Compressor fridges are also much better in high temperatures which again reflects where most of them are used - sunny southern Europe.

If you want to go off grid outside summer for several days at a time I suspect they are not for you. Our compressor cool box drains our batteries after a few days of cloud.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Wouldn't want anything else than a compressor fridge, simple, quiet and reliable, no servicing required - plus not having to mess around with gas

What's not to like?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Wouldn't want anything else than a compressor fridge, simple, quiet and reliable, no servicing required - plus not having to mess around with gas

What's not to like?
No good for me, only have one 100ah battery and one 100w solar panel, can't remember the last time we used EHU.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just had a catalogue sent to me from Adria. On all the PVC’s they are only using compressor fridges why? On all previous vans we have had 3 way fridges with automatic change over, which we like as they are no trouble you stop for a few minutes and they change from electric to gas , no hassle!

With compressor fridges I understand you have to keep them on electric 12v or mains all the time. Is this not a drain on the battery, especially in the winter When you have heating and tv on etc etc. We spend a lot of time off grid 5 to 6 days I can’t see that would be of use to us as do like the Look of Adria pvc.

Colyboy

I'm converting a PVC and would only use a compressor fridge. They have distinct advantages, even for wilding. They allow a greater flexibility of layout (no need for vents), have more storage space for the same appliance volume, are way more efficient (can actually be used on 12V without the engine running), work in hot temperatures and don't require constant servicing by qualified engineers.

However, they won't run off an 85Ah leisure battery and a split charge relay. You need a B2B charger and/or solar. If you have both of these, you're fine until you want to sit still in a field in winter for 2 weeks. A decent B2B charger will keep up with the load if you're driving about at all. The solar will keep up if there is enough light.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just had a catalogue sent to me from Adria...........

........We spend a lot of time off grid 5 to 6 days I can’t see that would be of use to us as do like the Look of Adria pvc.

Paul,

Have a read of this thread started by Danny dodfloss

It covers everything you need to consider.

Cheers,

Andrew

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Our swift PVC bought a couple of months ago has one, not a fan, it does work very well and even though small has a surprising amount of space but its the power drain that's a problem. We arrived at the New Forest show on Friday eve with two new fully charged 100ah batteries, by Sunday morning without anything but led lights we were down to 50%, if we had the telly on as well they would have been flat.
I have now fitted a BtoB and want to fit at least 200watts solar.
As DBK said modern vans aren't designed for wilding.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I was familiar with these on boats, Max draw was 6amps however if turned down to mid setting on thermostat control draw went down to 3 amps

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I was familiar with these on boats, Max draw was 6amps however if turned down to mid setting on thermostat control draw went down to 3 amps

It depends on size and installation quality. If done right it will draw an average of around 1A. It hot weather or with poor venting, it will average more. Hot weather is rarely a problem, as this means your solar will be booming.

Obviously, you have to measure current draw over a long period, as the thermostat is pretty much fully on or fully off, so it is either drawing 5A or nothing at any particular point in time, which tells you nothing.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our swift PVC bought a couple of months ago has one, not a fan, it does work very well and even though small has a surprising amount of space but its the power drain that's a problem. We arrived at the New Forest show on Friday eve with two new fully charged 100ah batteries, by Sunday morning without anything but led lights we were down to 50%, if we had the telly on as well they would have been flat.

I thought it had been established Olley that your Sergeant charger and 40W solar set-up was not capable of supporting your AGM batteries so in reality you only ever started out with a maximum 80% SOC, possibly lower. Most of us with compressor fridges would have issues if our batteries could only ever achieve 80% SOC.

If Paul gets his charger, battery and solar set-up correct then there's no reason why he can't manage a compressor fridge.

It may be best to report your findings once you have sorted out your charging issues.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When our compressor coolbox runs it's 2.5 to 3 amps depending on the temperature in the box. I think a lot of manufacturer quoted amperage are absolute maximums. 🤔 I'll look ours up...

It's 4 amps 👍

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I thought it had been established Olley that your Sergeant charger and 40W solar set-up was not capable of supporting your AGM batteries so in reality you only ever started out with a maximum 80% SOC, possibly lower. Most of us with compressor fridges would have issues if our batteries could only ever achieve 80% SOC.

If Paul gets his charger, battery and solar set-up correct then there's no reason why he can't manage a compressor fridge.

It may be best to report your findings once you have sorted out your charging issues.

Where do you get this 80% figure from Blue Knight? Hankook recommend 14.6 the installed Sargent does 14.4 so your 80% makes no sense to me.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
It depends on size and installation quality. If done right it will draw an average of around 1A. It hot weather or with poor venting, it will average more. Hot weather is rarely a problem, as this means your solar will be booming.

Obviously, you have to measure current draw over a long period, as the thermostat is pretty much fully on or fully off, so it is either drawing 5A or nothing at any particular point in time, which tells you nothing.
these were med size built in with ventilation lots of them make Engel. domestic distribution panel shows amperage being drawn. Understand what you are saying though.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
We have a PVC with a compressor fridge, 180 Ah batteries, 200W solar with Votronic MPP regulator and B2B. Currently in week 5 of a Scottish trip, have only spent 5 nights on campsites, only 3 of those with EHU. The lowest our batteries have been is 82% SOC and the lowest daily charged state was 94%. Currently parked up near Bridge of Orchy with fully charged batteries.

Not as much solar input this time of year, but conversely the fridge isn't as power hungry either.

I wouldn't want a gas or 3-way fridge, but I did have to modify the van to make it compatible with our preferred usage (originally 100W solar, non MPP regulator and no B2B, just a split charge relay).

I took a few items out of the van to make room for a small Genny as an emergency backup before this trip. I haven't taken it out so far and don't anticipate having to do so now. Wish I'd left it at home :(

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Where do you get this 80% figure from Blue Knight? Hankook recommend 14.6 the installed Sargent does 14.4 so your 80% makes no sense to me.

This is a very good read for anyone wanting to buy a Sergeant-equipped van with the associated thinner wiring set-ups to AGM batteries.

I would say that the use of a Sergeant mains charger on 2 x 100Ah AGMs is as much use as a chocolate fire guard but still the likes of Swift insist they be fitted.

Grab a coffee:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Perfect if you have no gas on board! we have a thetford compressor fridge,100w solar and two 110a batteries but it does depend on your usage, we can manage 4/5 days depending on the amount of sunshine and have been thinking of adding another solar panel to help out on those not so sunny days.
Why do you need a fridge when you cant do any cooking, or is it just for the beer.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ours states 5amps I think on average its 2amp or more.
Ours is rated at 6 amps, but that's a maximum with the compressor running. Even is summer, it only runs for about 20 minutes per hour at most, so at maximum 2 amps per hour.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Why do you need a fridge when you cant do any cooking, or is it just for the beer.
Those that choose not to carry gas usually have diesel heating and cooking or a full electric set up. Personally I have a Gaslow refillable gas system with gas cooking and gas heating/hot water as well as electrical alternatives including a microwave, my 90lt Thetford fridge freezer works really well and stores all the food I need along with the beers and wine.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting read Blue Knight but mainly talks of battery life not charge state and I noticed one error as below.

The latest 'new for 2017' Sargent EC600 still requires manual switching between Starter and Habitation area battery.

From Sargents instructions:
SMART – This turns on the smart charging feature. The energy from the intelligent
charger is automatically directed to the vehicle or leisure battery according charge
state of each battery. SMART is the default setting.
NORMAL – This setting will cause the energy from the intelligent battery charger to
be directed to the battery selected manually on the control panel by the battery
select menu item.

He's got a bee in his bonnet over chargers and Sargent in particular, I accept what he's saying but not sure about how accurate his figures are, he seems to almost have a pathological hatred of AGM maybe because he's decided not to sell them?
Makes no difference to me as new mains charger and solar are in my 10 year plan. ::bigsmile:

Looking at one of these?
Victron Blue Smart IP22 Bluetooth Battery Charger - 12V 15A, 1 output, I also like the Sterling but at twice the money ruled it out.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
As a test I turned my mains charger off at 14.00, just checked the battery voltage of the AGM's and its 12.8-12.9 which some sites say is right others state 13 or slightly more, who to believe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back