Why can’t I have same set up in a caravan (1 Viewer)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Can someone tell me the difference electrically in caravan to a Mh other than the alternator? I’d like to have lithium and inverter in a caravan, installing solar as source, other than when on eh. Why is this not recommended?

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Perhaps because Lithium can take really big charge currents (with appropriate alternator and electrickery). Can't see why you can't use Lithium from just solar?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is the charger in the caravan not suitable for lithium, just a guess not an expert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
In all honesty I don’t know. I just don’t quite understand why caravans don’t have same stuff as MH. They’re not too far apart- or are they?

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I understand running the engine, the alternator puts energy into battery but, dead thick here, whilst onsite, no running of engine, do I not have an issue? That could be for 2-3 wks Without running the engine.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I would imagine they don't have the same set-up as standard as most caravans were used on sites so have hookup as standard. However there is no reason to stop you installing what you want. You may not be able to charge via the alternator when driving due to cable sizes but no reason why solar wouldn't work, at least in the summertime.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In all honesty I don’t know. I just don’t quite understand why caravans don’t have same stuff as MH. They’re not too far apart- or are they?
Caravans are invariably on hookup so don't really need a battery other than to smooth the fluctuating charger/power supply rate.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Caravans are invariably on hookup so don't really need a battery other than to smooth the fluctuating charger/power supply rate.
C'mon pappajohn... how many festivals... rallys.... THS... And yes Motorhome shows have you been too???? There are always plenty of tuggers there..

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Payload is very little, I bought my lads a caravan and he carries most of his gear in the back of the car. His is just over 200kgs if I remember correctly.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I have taken all the caravan electric bits out of our eriba and put in 115ah leisure battery, 100w solar panel..new blade fuse box and intelligent charger.
All works great ..only goes on hook up at home before we go away for cooling the fridge and a bit of extra charge in the battery .
Will also charge off the alternator when attached to the van

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought you had another connecter on the back of your car, similar to the normal trailer plug, but for charging when traveling, I have seen many cars with two plugs.
Yep.... The (usually) black socket (7N) is for legal road lighting.
The (usually) grey socket (7S) is for accessories... Charging, fridge, reverse and fog lights etc.
They CANNOT be reversed as the pin layout is different.
The whole lot is included in a 13 pin socket.

OP
OP
Caggsie1

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
That’s as maybe spriddler, but, I want to use like my MH, off grid etc. I just don’t get why caravans dont Seem to have the capacity. The one we intend getting does have internal water tank albeit tiny in comparison to the one in Mh

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That’s as maybe spriddler, but, I want to use like my MH, off grid etc. I just don’t get why caravans dont Seem to have the capacity. The one we intend getting does have internal water tank albeit tiny in comparison to the one in Mh
Be careful traveling with a full water tank, if at the front it’s a lot more weight on the tow hitch, also they can be not as watertight as as a motorhome tank. Also if your toilet has a separate water tank if traveling with it full the water can splash up and wreck the electric flush.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Charging is the big issue.

If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need Lithium
If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need an inverter
If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need solar panels

If you are mainly on sites not using hook up how would you charge your lithium batteries?

On a Fifth wheel set up we can install a Battery to Battery charger and use the appropriate cables and use Anderson plugs to allow for inter connection, this simply isn't feasible in a car/caravan set up and a normal 12s set up would simply melt

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Near me is a company that sells American Caravans. They are not as wide as RVs and come in all sizes. These have solar, and small onboard gennies as well as large onboard water and waste tanks. If I was ever going down the caravan route I would definitley look at them.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Charging is the big issue.

If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need Lithium
If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need an inverter
If you are mainly on sites using hook up, you don't need solar panels

If you are mainly on sites not using hook up how would you charge your lithium batteries?

On a Fifth wheel set up we can install a Battery to Battery charger and use the appropriate cables and use Anderson plugs to allow for inter connection, this simply isn't feasible in a car/caravan set up and a normal 12s set up would simply melt
If an Anderson connection is used on a normal car , if a big cable was run from the battery to the connector separately would that be ok. Just being nosy, haha.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If an Anderson connection is used on a normal car , if a big cable was run from the battery to the connector separately would that be ok. Just being nosy, haha.
As long as it was followed by a big cable from the plug to the van 😊. Over the whole length you're looking at two cables of the same sheath diameter as a 12N cable. Mind you could probably do away with the hitch altogether 🤣.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Exactly as we used our 'van.
Admittedly no inverter and did not charge from car..
Solar and lithium
Incidently the weight of panel is off setted by lighter weight of lithium so not much extra weight overall.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As long as it was followed by a big cable from the plug to the van 😊. Over the whole length you're looking at two cables of the same sheath diameter as a 12N cable. Mind you could probably do away with the hitch altogether 🤣.
Would the earth one not just be bolted to the tow bar ? I admit that the only time I see these connections is when unloading with a tail lift

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you were content to have Lithiums installed that we charged from solar, why not.

But on road charging would have to be addressed and in a car / caravan combination its not really feasible

If you had a 220 VAC charger with a Lithium profile you "could" charge the Lithium batteries whilst at home prior to the trip, start off with fully charged Lithium(s) and rely on solar to extend the amount of time you could stay off grid

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Would the earth one not just be bolted to the tow bar ? I admit that the only time I see these connections is when unloading with a tail lift
It could be but in trying to reduce any volt drop or unwanted earth current loops it would be better direct to battery.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The simplest way to cover for the missing alternator is a small inverter generator, put in a insulated box. To fit Li and solar on a caravan is no different than a MH. Only thing as you said no alternator. Get a small 700-1000w inverter genny, and a multiplus inverter. That covers your charging better than alternator.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I guess it's down to keeping initial cost down to remain competitive for the maybe 90% of caravan buyers who wouldn't need the off-grid power.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Why would you leave the gear with the caravan? It has better re sale value on its own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back