Why? Because we can! (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
My life ( probably like many others) has been purely 2nd hand ( at best),,,and used,,

Cars,, houses,, women,, Motorhome,, to name but a few!!

If I had the money, I would love to have new!!

As I think so would everybody!! No pockets in shrouds!!

What could be better than for a while, at least, driving, travelling, holidaying, getting admiring glances, compliments, about the new thing that you have worked and planned so hard for!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My life ( probably like many others) has been purely 2nd hand ( at best),,,and used,,

Cars,, houses,, women,, Motorhome,, to name but a few!!

If I had the money, I would love to have new!!

As I think so would everybody!! No pockets in shrouds!!

What could be better than for a while, at least, driving, travelling, holidaying, getting admiring glances, compliments, about the new thing that you have worked and planned so hard for!!
Itt doesn't matter how much money one has (or has not) everyone has a budget. So you decide how much you have to spend then look at what's available. I look at both new and second-hand then go for most bang for bucks. Within any budget buying used means you can get more van with more goodies.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Itt doesn't matter how much money one has (or has not) everyone has a budget. So you decide how much you have to spend then look at what's available. I look at both new and second-hand then go for most bang for bucks. Within any budget buying used means you can get more van with more goodies.

I thought for a moment that this was another post about wives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Well we did it! Picked up our Adria Matrix Supreme 670 DC from Signature. Both pleased with it and off to Vanbitz for alarm and tracking tomorrow. First new vehicle we've ever owned and also first automatic.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Congratulations!

Hope you have many years of happy travelling :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have just bought new because we could

What puts me off a second hand one is when you see people smoking in them as I don't smoke

Also when people turn up with 3 large dogs take them a walk then they all get back in the motor home wet and smelly

Don't get me wrong it's your motor home and you do what you want in it smoke, pets etc etc just don't ask me to buy it

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
For those of us who have not had the experience please explain what the 'something' is.

Also maybe you can relate your answer to this thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autotrail-fittings.196120/

[It is not only about Autotrails]

Especially the wardrobe door which fell off 15 mins. after driving away from the handover.

Geoff

I think it’might be the feeling and smell of success, smiling to yourself as you drive away, knowing that you’ve worked hard to achieve something special!! And maybe it’s the reward, or one of them, for years of effort!!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Good luck with your new motorhome, hope you have lots of adventures in it, give it time and you will make it yours with little personal touches.

Over the years we have bought two new motorhomes, if I was just starting out now but with the knowledge we currently have I would buy this example without a a moment hesitation.

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/le-voyageur-lvx8

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Well we did it! Picked up our Adria Matrix Supreme 670 DC from Signature. Both pleased with it and off to Vanbitz for alarm and tracking tomorrow. First new vehicle we've ever owned and also first automatic.
Guy round the corner just got the Coral version of the same van. Very nice, Enjoy (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
ED7C378D-469C-47C0-860E-CAA5E54DAFA4.jpeg
We bought a brand new van to our spec and had lots of extras added .
Then Ralph cut big holes into the side of it and converted it in to Pug !
D29D4C30-CC2E-49BB-8695-C9B256D13378.jpeg

He said it was a very bum squeaky moment !

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
For those of us who have not had the experience please explain what the 'something' is.

Also maybe you can relate your answer to this thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/autotrail-fittings.196120/

[It is not only about Autotrails]

Especially the wardrobe door which fell off 15 mins. after driving away from the handover.

Geoff

Personally I have always enjoyed driving off from a dealers in a new car. I think it is nice feeling knowing you are the first person to use it (I know it it will have been driving a bit already). That new look, smell and feel don’t last long but I have always found it a pleasure. Are all new vehicles perfect, no. Are all second hand vehicles better, no.
I am on me second van which I bought new as I couldn’t find a used van of the model I wanted. I again enjoyed the whole experience.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I could not justify a new van knowing my luck someone would dink or scratch it within a couple of weeks and i would be well annoyed - old van gets a scratch or dink i can live with that doesn't bother me i can accept it with an older van and wont really effect the residual value - Also been down narrow lanes where bushes brush the side of van not a problem with old van - with a new van would not want to risk it incase i damaged it

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We bought our first motorhome when we still had 3 kids coming away with us. We went for an over cab king size Luton bed, bunks down one side, opposite the kitchen area, a rear bathroom ( which had a separate large shower ) front L shape lounge ( which converted into a double) with a little sofa opposite and swivel front seats.
With having several caravans in the past, we knew what layout suited us.
The 3 year old model we were going for ( Being tactful here, I know very unusual!) had lots of extras in it and on it.
Very solidly built with proper wooden units proper hinges etc. Quality fixtures and fittings throughout.
For an extra £3k we could have got a brand new model. From the same dealer by the same make with the same name.
We were very tempted to stretch the budget that bit more. The brand new model had lovely modern upholstery. But was totally different colour/shape wise outside , more modern looking. Same brand and name. But everything inside was lightweight, cheap, tinny .
It had the “look” but had totally lost the excellent build quality. It looked like a caravan and an entry level one at that.
The 3 year old Solid, quality built version, had old fashioned coloured velvety upholstery that we didn’t like.
We decided to buy the 3 year old and spent nearly the difference between the 3 year old price and brand new price on getting it totally reupholstered throughout.
That first van, stayed the perfect van, till we decided to downsize (several years later) from a 6 birth to a 2 birth.
We sold it to another family with young children , who loved its still solid quality and now, modern upholstery !
They were very happy to give us only £6k less than what we originally payed for it.
I’ve had several new cars over the years so I’m not adverse to buying new, at all. If I’m happy .
in fact if anything the new models in cars I have bought, have usually been improved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back