LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
New van? Aaagh! What about the 20% you lose immediately you drive it off the forecourt? (y)
Don’t think he is immediately thinking of parting with it. :)

Worth it to have something new - life is not a rehearsal to be spent worrying and depreciation slows right off between 3 and 7 years anyway

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
We bought a new PVC after a very brief ownership of an 18 year old Autosleeper Symbol.
We wanted something newer, bit more power, more safety features etc.
We quite fancied another AS but could get a brand new Benivan with a 5 year warranty (extended) for the same price as a four year old AS Warwick. With no warranty.
The Benivan is not as 'fussy' as the Warwick - but we preferred the simplicity. And the Benivan had a higher standard specification.
So for us, new made sense.
I did think about doing my own conversion, but with a new Ducato base, the cost to convert would have been about the same, if not higher.
We've had a few build issues - all the fault of Autotrail - but Marquis Preston have been excellent, hopefully now all sorted!!!!! ;)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New. Clean. Shiny. Unmolested.......
That's what we did with NO regrets.
If you can afford it and are happy....why the hell not....

Besides.... it means we prop up the tight arses :D

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are looking at a brand new Wildax Elara and might well buy one come August if they sort out a few of the teething problems and we decide the payload is OK.
Why, because we have the money, no-one else builds a PVC like it (yet) and you're a long time dead as my lovely Mum always said and she was dead ay 55.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Always new, because I like to help the poor enter this wonderful hobby/lifestyle of ours when I cast it aside for another one. Just say thank you (y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I guess its only people who have never had a new van or maybe cannot afford one that would say that. Also a misnomer, of course you do lose out as the van is no longer new but not 20%, its a bit like buying a pre-registered car its still new with just delivery mileage but you are just the 2nd owner, bu you do not get a 20% discount!

Keep up at the back! :reel:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
New. Clean. Shiny. Unmolested.......
That's what we did with NO regrets.
If you can afford it and are happy....why the hell not....

Besides.... it means we prop up the tight arses :D

And.....think how much fun you will be able have cleaning a used van......my loo will be fab practice for the next owner:D

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Always new, because I like to help the poor enter this wonderful hobby/lifestyle of ours when I cast it aside for another one. Just say thank you (y)

I seem to have hit a nerve

The only major differnces between my 28 year and 18 year old motorhomes and new is the changes to the donor chassis cab.

I could buy new but choose to own 2 even though I travel alone.

Doing this I can afford to go where I want, when I want......and not worry too much where I park them.......

(y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We couldn’t find the van we wanted or the layout second hand anywhere.
Buying new was the best option for us after 3 second hand ones. No teething problems apart from the electric step, which was changed. Great build quality.
Glad we did because it ticks all our boxes.
Phil

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I seem to have hit a nerve

The only major differnces between my 28 year and 18 year old motorhomes and new is the changes to the donor chassis cab.

I could buy new but choose to own 2 even though I travel alone.

Doing this I can afford to go where I want, when I want......and not worry too much where I park them.......

(y)
not at all, I always respond to this question the same way i.e. it is FUN ;):D(y)

Steve+Maggie

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
SOUTHPORT
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years off and on
We bought new because it was almost the same price as a used one 18 months old?? When a deal is so good take advantage!! We don’t want to chop and change so this a long term investment If you can why not do it!!!

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
After the thoughts on "new" or "2nd Hand" comes the question of size. I sat this weekend watching a 9m MH lift its tailgate and unload a car. New or 2nd, there is no chance that I will ever own such a vehicle. Do not worry about damaging a newbie, as I did, but did not lose any sleep over it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
With my budget I could've bought bigger, better brand appeal, more gadgets, maybe even better built, by buying used - my judgement & choice was to buy smaller, perhaps less popular but new & tweaked to my particular specifications.
A couple of years down the line, did I make the right choice... I think so... and in a few more, the financial 'penalty' will be negligible.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We bought a 5 year old Hymer B544 as the layout for us is pretty much spot on. The price (to us) of £51,000 was a lot, but as we intend keeping it for next 10 years till I get to 70, we'll get plenty of good times out of it. Some people think we are rich having a Hymer and we often get people who want a look inside our travelling home.

I can fix most things, with some help from the more knowledgeable on here, and living way up in the Highlands the nearest Hymer dealer is about 200 miles away.

Chap across the road, paid as much as us for his brand new Autotrail as we did on our 'old' van but in the first 2 years, half his mileage was travelling to the dealer to get things fixed that I could have done myself.

What ever you have, use it and enjoy the good times you'll have in it. And remember they don't put pockets in shrouds.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
As far as I am concerned, it is horses for courses. Some like and want second hand, some like and want new. Whether one can afford it or not i for one reckon go for what you want, either way as long as you are happy with your choice that is great.

Okay I bought new, but we looked at second hand ones that was in our lowly budget at the time (under 20K). We found that increasing our budget was fine but we did not see what her indoors wanted. Then we came across a layout that was just perfect for our needs, singe beds, so we don't disturb each other going to the loo at night, and takes less than two minutes to make up. The loo and shower room is across the back with a twin wardrobe (nice one).

It may not be to every ones taste, but it was at the far end of our budget, but we stretched ourselves financially and it is definitely worth it.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
There is a lot of concern about the environment at the moment (rightly so IMO) and there can be little doubt that large, "uneconomical", diesel-burning vehicles are likely to feel slightly more unwelcome in the coming years. My 16y old MH can't enter any umwelt zones in Germany, has a moderate CritAir sticker for France and will probably have problems getting into London and other UK cities shortly.

IF I bought a brand new van, it would do a couple of more miles to the litre and would comply with many city-based restrictions (y).

BUT for how long :(?

Personally, I would rather have to scrap a £15k vehicle in 2y time than a £45k van in 5y time [obviously, all figures are wild guesses :rolleyes: ].

Gordon (hedging my bets and saving my money :) )

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Rapido925m, I do not want to get into a debate about the environment BUT. As a singular country if we all went green, that would not change anything at all. The rest of the world (each and every country) would have to change as well, only then would the environment would change.

I agree we have to make a start, like I said it would take each and every country in the world to change, and somehow I cannot see that happening soon.

Sorry rant over

Flook

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I think private motoring will be a thing of the past for anything running on petrol or diesel - taxation will be used to make this happen.

The heaviest private vehicles (our MH's) will be penalised most. Together with parking restrictions for large vehicles I fear that motorhoming will become a thing of the past.

- enjoy it while you can(y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Rapido925m, I do not want to get into a debate about the environment BUT. As a singular country if we all went green, that would not change anything at all. The rest of the world (each and every country) would have to change as well, only then would the environment would change.

I agree we have to make a start, like I said it would take each and every country in the world to change, and somehow I cannot see that happening soon.

Sorry rant over

Flook

YES, I remember when California brought in their first environmental rules: everyone said it was a waste of time and effort but look at us now :whistle:.

I totally agree that this is a world-wide problem but you and I will have very little say in what the politicians decide to do to us. My ONLY point was that the time may come when MHs as we know them are virtually unusable and I'd rather that my old van was scrapped, losing me £15k than a "new" van losing £45k.

Gordon

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
YES, I remember when California brought in their first environmental rules: everyone said it was a waste of time and effort but look at us now :whistle:.

I totally agree that this is a world-wide problem but you and I will have very little say in what the politicians decide to do to us. My ONLY point was that the time may come when MHs as we know them are virtually unusable and I'd rather that my old van was scrapped, losing me £15k than a "new" van losing £45k.

Gordon
Very sympathetic and supportive of environmental issues but it comes down to the fact that I am buying a new diesel motorhome "because I can". Would I buy an electric motorhome Yes, but I can't!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Very sympathetic and supportive of environmental issues but it comes down to the fact that I am buying a new diesel motorhome "because I can". Would I buy an electric motorhome Yes, but I can't!

I would not buy electric now because we could not do the 900 miles Katowice-Dunkirk in 3 days which we need to for time constraint reasons.

Geoff

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We bought new after failing to find any second hand vans of the model we wanted. A week after we took delivery of ours one came on the market:cry:.
We also bought it because we could afford it and it was what we wanted.
It’s a bit like anything if you can afford and enjoy it good luck to you. You have worked hard to get it and earnt the money enjoy spending it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Problem with new vehicles is they soon become old vehicles, two years and the warrantee is out of date, three years and the MOT is due with the number plate having moved on six digits. Having said this I normally get new vehicles.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've lost count on the number of used vans on dealers forecourts which overwhelm you with a stinky cheesy poo-poo musty smell as soon as you enter.:sick::notworthy::censored:

Nope, not for me.

OP
OP
Parrot Face
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Last year I decided to change my car. I have never bought from a dealer, always private sales. I went on Autotrader and put the price range in for the vehicles I preferred (loads of different makes). I got a choice of 6 vehicles! I personally believe this may be due to the growth of companies like We Buy Any Car. Com and the massive growth in large dealerships. I had no option but to buy from a dealer and hated every part of the process. When we decided to change our motorhome we also found fewer private sales but noticed that The Motorhome Depot company seemed to have acquired a lot of the potential private sales. That's when I realised that I may be better using a dealer. However looking at the second hand prices I realised that I might be better buying new and take advantage of the warranties. We got what I believe is a really good deal from Signature. We're not rich but we have money in the bank so why not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back