Why, after all this time am I still disapointed when I find the truth about MPG ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As with all vehicles, quoted MPG figures are achieved on a rolling road where there is no wind resistance present. When out on the open road a motorhome has all the aerodynamic qualities of a very large barn door. Our Frankia does about 23MPG solo and 18 with the trailer. I drive according to the time available not the petrol consumption.

Any sleeping pooleecemen or pothooles ?? :Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
:Smile:My mpg os nothing special but today I filled up at £1.192 in Luxembourg. Exchange rate is 1.23 to £ so around 97p a litre.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I really must be some sort of idiot..
Time and again I am told one thing by a dealer only to find the truth is not even close..

And WHY do dealers tell such lies ( latest one from the people I bought this new van from.. Oh yes, its a great van. We actually used it a couple of weeks ago to take the family to Cornwall ...... Well mate, you did it without any water on board, a duff electrical system and two VERY bald front tyres ! )

Why oh why do I never get such buyers like you that seem to fix all the faults that should not have been there in the first place

Peter

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
My toad is a Renault Diesel Modus and that does over 60mpg on a run, genuine and before any clever dick says it, under its own power:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I bought my Compass Castaway (Peugeot Boxer, 2.8HDI) new in July 2006. Since then I've kept a spreadsheet of mileage and costs so I've done 35160 miles and spent £7964.26 on fuel at an average of 23.42 MPG. Some of this has been done towing a Mazda MX5 on either an A frame or a trailer. The best mileage, tankful to tankful was 32.15 mpg, the worst 18.26 mpg.

So a genuine, real world summary of motorhome fuel consumption. (And far better than the average 17 mpg I used to get towing a caravan with a 4x4 which I used to do before I got the motorhome! :Smile: )

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Towing

EX caravaner too, so agree low mpg when towing the tin shed, with o old 2.5 Series 3
Motor home now it is what it is.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just refilled my Autotrail , Merc 316cdi sprintshift, towing Fiat 500 after 348 miles, 67 litres=23.2 mpg. Quite reasonable , I think. I use cruise quite a bit, will try without see if there is much difference.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Have checked my mpg since I got my 2 years ago (sad I know) and it has averaged 25.2 mpg
But this week I had to get south in a big hurry so foot to floor and a steady 75/80 mph on the motorway after 175 miles on A class roads t about 50/55 and over the total 500 miles I averaged 20.2 mpg the worst I have had but I got where I needed to be in time so just have to put up with the extra cost for this journey

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why oh why do I never get such buyers like you that seem to fix all the faults that should not have been there in the first place

Peter

I am a realist Peter.
The van is 7 years old and I buy with the expectations of faults..
I know dealers have enough on their plates without selling a 2nd hand van to someone who is always on the fone about stuff.
As mentioned before, they did try hard to fix the problems but simply ran out of time.. I have no doubt if I asked them they would have covered my costs but that is not my way :Smile:

The only real issues left outstanding are:
During their 'try to fix it' time they have swapped the Sargent control panel for a later model which is not QUITE compatible with the sargent unit.. It throws up an error which in all honesty is minor ( it says there is no hook up when there is ) which I am happy to live with

The other issue is gonna cost me several shillings as the van was not drained down during a frost at some time in its like and the thermostatic shower mixer has been damaged as well as the Bullfinch external shower point.. In both cases it has damaged the hot water delivery valves.. Gonna set me back around £90 to sort out the problems ( and possibly have to pay for a team of double jointed Japanese midgets to change the shower mixer ! )

But back to the thread..

On the run from Halifax I had dialled in 60mph on the cruise control ( 60mph on the GPS, not the speedo ).. I had been told ( by someone else who has the same vehicle ) that 60mph is the most economic speed to run at

On our run to Kent last week end I re-evaluated and set the speed to 55 mph..
Good result !

On the on board computer I averaged 25 mpg, and when I filled it up after the run the true figure came out to 24.9 mpg !

So bless them, they did not tell fibs about the economy.
Extremely pleased with the result as it is actually better than our old Miller even after it was chipped for economy :thumb:

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
"nice one" Ted

:Cool:
I noted Udo's fuel consumption when we drove him back from Germany last year as 19mpg.

I've taken a few readings since then and it wasn't much different.

My driving style has relaxed a bit since, though. I've realised that pushing these old Mercedes diesel engines isn't really good form, so I've slowed and relaxed far more.

Having a regularly used Webasto eats a little into the fuel usage and disturbs the economy figures somewhat, but I just don't care now.

It is what it is. I know he's in good health and I've stopped driving him too hard. By virtue of his age and low power, I don't have much choice than to try to keep up with the modern truck. I don't always manage, though. Udo slows down a lot on hills and that's just the way it is. I could press harder, but often I don't feel like it. Good old Udo. He's a plodder.

I've made diesel engines go fast before and have no inclination to do the same with Udo. He's big and heavy. Fact. He won't go quickly or sip fuel. Fact. But his trump card is momentum. Get some of that and he rolls along nicely. Rather satisfying.

But I bought him for a good price and he's not depreciating, so that's OK. Nothing (hopefully) lost there.

My regular everyday car has nearly 500bhp. That satisfies my power / speed / acceleration / waft fixations admirably.

Udo's the antithesis of that and a rather welcome one, too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back