Why a Garage? (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Garages in a motorhome are like garages in our homes full of too much junk, after saying that my van or home doesn't have a garage and I want one. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Haha, my garage at home is full of half empty paint tins and other junk. My car sits outside in the elements.
Do you mean that you are supposed to put the car in the garage? Ours is full of kayaks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Wow, we are only at the 'What crockery will we buy, melamine or china ?' :think::think:
Gotta be real no plastic crap ;)
CA_05111414034735-X2.jpg

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Haha, my garage at home is full of half empty paint tins and other junk. My car sits outside in the elements.

But you no longer have that rusty old ride on mower blocking the entrance to it... :whistle:

JJ :cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
way too many people are totally oblivious to the excess weight they carry in their vans. garages are just too tempting to fill with crap and way over load. expensive and distressing when you get stopped by the DVSA and police. just what are you going to throw away to be allowed to continue the journey?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What concerns me about some of the 'images' on here is that some funsters seem to not actually secure the contents of their garages, or even cupboards ... if something like the levelling ramps hits a garage door there is a high likelihood that the door would open causing at one extreme inconvenience and some damage to the camper, and at the worst extreme an accident for others!
Could I therefore ask funsters to please ensure that they secure the items in some way.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
No space for crap in mine:
slide and hooks.jpg

The slide takes two bikes and the rest of the space is full of crates - with just enough space to fit the wine / beer allowance in on the way home.

Here is a shot of it in the "design" phase when I was working out what would go where on our shakedown tour of the Mossel.
A Crate Problem.jpg

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Am now on my second motorhome with a garage and would never consider another motorhome without one. I have it completely fitted with extra fuel tank, 3 way beer fridge, gas oven and hob, BBQ, overhead rails to hold chairs and outside table, large hooks to hold various hookup leads, water hoses, macerator hoses and a four drawer cupboard to hold odds and sods. I use the garage as an outside kitchen as I have it wired for electric and plumbed in with its own gas bottle. Would never dream of putting a bike in there. This is a photo of the previous garage, the one I have now is much bigger.View attachment 48264
Can I ask please - how did you fix the rails and hooks, are they screwed into the side of the van?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What concerns me about some of the 'images' on here is that some funsters seem to not actually secure the contents of their garages, or even cupboards ... if something like the levelling ramps hits a garage door there is a high likelihood that the door would open causing at one extreme inconvenience and some damage to the camper, and at the worst extreme an accident for others!
Could I therefore ask funsters to please ensure that they secure the items in some way.

Note
RMB 018.JPG
, proper motorhomes have double Yale locks on garage doors. I think it would take a little more than levelling blocks falling against them to open mine.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can I ask please - how did you fix the rails and hooks, are they screwed into the side of the van?

The garage internals are lined with alloy checkerplate. A pilot hole and shelf brackets screwed with self tappers. If your van is not lined with checkerplate then use wooden battens stuck with Sikaflex should do the trick.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The garage internals are lined with alloy checkerplate. A pilot hole and shelf brackets screwed with self tappers. If your van is not lined with checkerplate then use wooden battens stuck with Sikaflex should do the trick.
Cheers, thanks for the info.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
NoteView attachment 48284 , proper motorhomes have double Yale locks on garage doors. I think it would take a little more than levelling blocks falling against them to open mine.
They tend to try to travel in the direction you were going too not sideways :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They tend to try to travel in the direction you were going too not sideways :ROFLMAO:

Well before they hit me at the back of the head, they would first have to penetrate an alloy checkerplate sheet then marine ply wall then a full wall fresh water tank then another marine ply wall the the bed base then travel 7 metres through thin air. I think I will take my chances and not tie them down :).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
way too many people are totally oblivious to the excess weight they carry in their vans. garages are just too tempting to fill with crap and way over load. expensive and distressing when you get stopped by the DVSA and police. just what are you going to throw away to be allowed to continue the journey?
I second that.

Spend the few £s it costs and get a weighbridge ticket after fully loading motorhome and you before you set off.

It is worth unloading EVERYTHING from time to time and checking that you do need every item you are carrying. It's surprising how the junk mounts up and how much it weighs.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Even a heavyweight, carrying junk means lower fuel economy.

My fuel consumption is better than Buttons at the moment. Have not used a drop since September, and not likely to use any before next May :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My fuel consumption is better than Buttons at the moment. Have not used a drop since September, and not likely to use any before next May :D
So you aren't carrying junk round with you - just leaving it to get used to a nice home before you decide to move on.

We found we had been carting around a few magazines and books that had been read and put away until we found a charity shop - then forgotten about. Books and magazines are heavy!!! Thank goodness for Kindle and Tablets.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I try and have a good clear out at least 3 or 4 times a year.. In fact one is due right now and if it was not for the flappy step thing I would have sorted it out already
Lots of hooks and bungys used to at least try and keep some semblance of order in there !

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Must admit during local trips it's a bit of a jungle, but when we go to Spain in January it's orderly and packed to the gunnells with all the stuff we use on an extended trip. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back