Whose responsibilty to repair ? (1 Viewer)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We acquired our X290 last June with a new M.O.T., the vehicle was 2 years & 7 months old at the time with 8,283 miles recorded, since then we have covered just 896 miles in 3 trips.

Very recently some electrical gremlins have appeared, including the well known cluster warning lights issue, but also the airbag light is permanently illuminated ( currently an M.O.T. failure ) & some weird anomaly where, whenever the drivers seat belt buckle is inserted, some dash lights glow faintly.

The vehicle is barely 2 months out of Peugeot warranty, so our question is : who is responsible for the repair of these issues - Us, or the dealer or the third party warranty company ?

The dealer insists that we claim via the warranty company - although the warranty doesn't cover ''airbag & systems'' & '' known manufacturer faults '' - this could mean the instrument cluster.

We find ourselves in a position where not only do we have an unserviceable vehicle due to the airbag issue, but worse still, possibly being uninsured as the airbags will not deploy in the event of an accident.

All opinions offered gratefully received.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear of your problems. Legally, the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 gives you a 6 month warranty with the dealer who sold it to you. After six months the burden is on you to prove the fault was present when you bought the vehicle.
The instrument cluster might be worth talking to Peugeot about as they may be prepared to make a contribution at the very least as it is a known fault.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would have thought the maker would assist with the cost if it has a full makers service history.

Its probably out of the dealers warranty but I would ask.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you end up paying then perhaps consider sending instrument cluster to cartronix. Others have had theirs repaired there. Try searching on the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't state what warranty the dealer gave you was it 1 year or 3 month with an insurance backed warranty for 9 months etc.?
The instrument cluster is a well known fault so Peugeot may well help.

If it comes to paying for it shouldn't be too painful, Cartronix will repair the instrument cluster for £150 with a lifetime warranty, the air bag and seat belt warning probable tprobably under the seat caught in the swivel may be just unplgged.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Sorry to hear of your problems. Legally, the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 gives you a 6 month warranty with the dealer who sold it to you. After six months the burden is on you to prove the fault was present when you bought the vehicle.
The instrument cluster might be worth talking to Peugeot about as they may be prepared to make a contribution at the very least as it is a known fault.

Thank you for your insight, due to the issues arising after the 6 month Consumer rights protection period we understand there's probably no recourse there & as the vehicle came with a new M.O.T. last June ( although not legally required until last November ) the dealer can confidently state the vehicle was free of defects at time of purchase & of course none of these defects were apparent at that time.

We have a diagnostic report from our trusted local indy which detects :

AIRBAG - FAULT CODE : B0100, Error inside the control unit / connectivity.

B.S.I. - FAULT CODE : B10AA, Proxy configuration control

B.S.I. - FAULT CODE : B1005, Battery voltage

Maybe, as you state, taking into account both to the extremely low mileage & vehicle age, Peugeot may assist, that's something we hadn't considered & now will. (y)

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
You don't state what warranty the dealer gave you was it 1 year or 3 month with an insurance backed warranty for 9 months etc.?
The instrument cluster is a well known fault so Peugeot may well help.

If it comes to paying for it shouldn't be too painful, Cartronix will repair the instrument cluster for £150 with a lifetime warranty, the air bag and seat belt warning probable tprobably under the seat caught in the swivel may be just unplgged.

Thanks for your advice Lenny, we'll look under the seats, the vehicle had 5 months of Peugeot warranty left as at last June, this expired on the 28/11/17.

The dealer included a 1 year insurance backed warranty which is valid until 10/06/18

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Good luck with Peugeot because I never had any when my ECU went, and it seems to be a common fault, strange that on my invoice I was charged for a extra earth cable could this be part of the problem.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Good luck with Peugeot because I never had any when my ECU went, and it seems to be a common fault, strange that on my invoice I was charged for a extra earth cable could this be part of the problem.

Thank you, do you know where on your vehicle the extra earth cable was installed ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As said cartronix £150 problem sorted, get it done on warranty and it will be replaced with the same faulty unit so you will get the same problem later in the year ...

And it’s less headache back and forth fighting over warranty ....

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
I have saved the faulty one incase I have any problems and would definitely get it repaired.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just looked on the cartronics site, the exchange audio with cameras front , side and rear looked a nice bit of kit to fit the ducato.

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As said cartronix £150 problem sorted, get it done on warranty and it will be replaced with the same faulty unit so you will get the same problem later in the year ...

And it’s less headache back and forth fighting over warranty ....

Thank you, & we agree, much as what @pappajohn states, these warranties rarely seem useful, thankfully we didn't pay any extra for it.
Cartronix does seem the best course of action as far as the cluster issue is concerned as we do require a permanent solution.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thank you, & we agree, much as what @pappajohn states, these warranties rarely seem useful, thankfully we didn't pay any extra for it.
Cartronix does seem the best course of action as far as the cluster issue is concerned as we do require a permanent solution.

I happened to be passing them and I took it out and they did it in about 1.5hrs...
Easy to take out and they put new fuel motor on the fuel gauge too which mine was misbehaving....(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Had all the same issues as you with the clusters on the dash, lucky it was still under warranty, but was told it would have cost £800 around that region to replace out of warranty - best thing i did was off load that van. its pretty bad when manufacturers know that there is a problem but choose to ignore it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I happened to be passing them and I took it out and they did it in about 1.5hrs...
Easy to take out and they put new fuel motor on the fuel gauge too which mine was misbehaving....(y)
Same here with the last van,we were staying on a friends farm a couple of miles from them I took it out borrowed a car and dropped it in, ready in about 1½ hours never went wrong again.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Try a jump lead from the negative post on your battery to the negative bolt under the bonnet and see if anything improves if so fit new earth strap.
John.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thank you, we'll try Peugeot first just in case they'll assist us, did you need to disconnect the vehicle battery before removing the airbag e.c.u. ?

Oh yeah!!! I'm not sure if you need to, but I really didn't want them fireing of in mi ear.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
good luck been there out of warranty normally they dont want to know ( all manufacturers )

OP
OP
MC 55 FUN

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Small update :

We took the Moho to our local Peugeot dealer who stated that Peugeot may look at the issues sympathetically (y), better still if the vehicle has a full service history, which it does (y),however there was some teeth sucking when it was discovered that the 1st & only service, performed on time & prior to our ownership, was not carried out by a Peugeot dealer (n)

Nevertheless it's a well known fact that as long as the service was performed to manufacturer's spec using Peugeot parts, warranties, at least in theory, are unaffected.
Whether this applies to just out of warranty goodwill claims remains to be seen.

It was noted during the diagnostic test, mentioned in an earlier post by ourselves in this thread that the battery voltage had been flagged with fault code B1005 & it transpires that said low voltage can trigger the airbag light:eek:

Although both our batteries are regularly charged, this could mean a failing vehicle battery & our advice would be to ensure the battery on X290's are regularly charged especially if the vehicle is not used frequently. This of course is good practice & applies to any vehicle.

More to follow as & when we learn more.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had the problem with the airbag light on with out previous MoHo which was on a Ducato 250 base.
Simpsons at Great Yarmouth diagnosed the airbag controller as faulty and as it was a few months out of Fiat warranty we paid. Simpsons took the case up with Fiat who covered most of the cost of the replacement controller. We paid the labour plus a small amount.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back