LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would not like to say, but there is a transport company in Bacton who seem to go out of their way to employ drivers who are possibly the worst in the UK !!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Log truckers

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMyFUGdRjUY"]Delivery truck turns it around on a dirt road on the side of a mountain - YouTube[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I'm a product of "The Army School of Driving"..I passed my basic test on the 12th July 1971..in a half ton FFR land Rover (FFR means Fitted for radio) reg no 17DM20..at Catterick Camp...I transferred regiments a while later...and started my time with 1DWR (The 1st Battalion The Duke of Wellingtons Regiment The West Riding)..I did a series of jobs there basic Grunt (ya know a Soldier running about digging holes..a Trench Pig) Then I joined The Recce Platoon Oh yes vehicle mounted I did driver op for 2 years with them then back to the rifle companies as OCs cabby driver op again..

Then I went to the Mechanical Transport Platoon where over the course of 2 years I went from basic driver in 1978 to HGV Class 1 driver doing class III then Class II then Class I all as upgrading..In 1983 I took my Driving Instructors Course ( I taught for 15 years in all)..to teach all classes of vehicles which I passed as one of the top 5 students I was the highest placed non RCT badged driver..then in 83 I did my Motorcycle Instructors course..passed top 5 again then I did my PSV drivers test in 87 then I qualified as a Bus Instructor..So I was able to teach from Motorcycles right up to HGV1/PSV1..before I left my regiment I was senior instructor (wheeled vehicles) so the Forces system does work and I too would say certainly the guys I taught were given the best instruction ever..so to answer your question of who's best I would say (Mostly) Forces trained drivers...

Last edited:

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Driver...

Answer....Rory McIlroy, if only he could putt!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Dustmen

I want to be a dustman, they drive big trucks and only work on Thursdsys ::bigsmile::thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I want to be a dustman, they drive big trucks and only work on Thursdsys ::bigsmile::thumb:

No such thing as dust men anymore.

I think they are now called waste disposal technicians.

Or something equally ludicrous.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I must admit - I did end up putting off bus drivers from a company around here when I was hiring motor homes. They are well known for driving pretty poorly - only that company really.

Army drivers are well trained, and there is no coincidence in HGV Operators preferring them when recruiting. If it has something to do with higher standards, more experience in extreme situations or maybe the training leaves the drivers more relaxed ad able to learn at their own speed as it isn't costing them anything I don't know.

I do think it should be law that all drivers start on a motorbike first though - you understand the road better, understand grip and surface contamination, and you do notice bikes!

Like anything - there are good and bad drivers everywhere.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The best driver is the one that understands his vehicle
How the brakes work

What is in the engine

Why he has a gearbox

Why he has a cooling system

Why the get hot going down hill.

And then anticipates the movements of other drivers

And knows that there is no sucth thing as an accident .

British Police school class one drivers are probaly the best.

And all Motorhome drivers must be true look at the claims records

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I'm a product of "The Army School of Driving"..I passed my basic test on the 12th July 1971..in a half ton FFR land Rover (FFR means Fitted for radio) reg no 17DM20..at Catterick Camp...I transferred regiments a while later...and started my time with 1DWR (The 1st Battalion The Duke of Wellingtons Regiment The West Riding)..I did a series of jobs there basic Grunt (ya know a Soldier running about digging holes..a Trench Pig) Then I joined The Recce Platoon Oh yes vehicle mounted I did driver op for 2 years with them then back to the rifle companies as OCs cabby driver op again..

Then I went to the Mechanical Transport Platoon where over the course of 2 years I went from basic driver in 1978 to HGV Class 1 driver doing class III then Class II then Class I all as upgrading..In 1983 I took my Driving Instructors Course ( I taught for 15 years in all)..to teach all classes of vehicles which I passed as one of the top 5 students I was the highest placed non RCT badged driver..then in 83 I did my Motorcycle Instructors course..passed top 5 again then I did my PSV drivers test in 87 then I qualified as a Bus Instructor..So I was able to teach from Motorcycles right up to HGV1/PSV1..before I left my regiment I was senior instructor (wheeled vehicles) so the Forces system does work and I too would say certainly the guys I taught were given the best instruction ever..so to answer your question of who's best I would say (Mostly) Forces trained drivers...

Almost forgot I did the Police course too at Hendon..also the staff car course anti Hi-jack course only thing I haven't done and would dearly love to is Get on that skid pan with a Double Decker routemaster bus...:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Just a Question

Why a Routemaster?

But I think anyone interesed in improving there driving, isnormaly a beter driver.

Too many people think once the test is passed training is over.

By the way you never mentioned I.A.M test

But you should have that via the police school.

Mel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
i must admit - i did end up putting off bus drivers from a company around here when i was hiring motor homes. They are well known for driving pretty poorly - only that company really.

Army drivers are well trained, and there is no coincidence in hgv operators preferring them when recruiting. If it has something to do with higher standards, more experience in extreme situations or maybe the training leaves the drivers more relaxed ad able to learn at their own speed as it isn't costing them anything i don't know.

I do think it should be law that all drivers start on a motorbike first though - you understand the road better, understand grip and surface contamination, and you do notice bikes!

Like anything - there are good and bad drivers everywhere.

and you wont live long.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I thought everyone thought they were the best driver in the world. I now know at 68 i am not as good as i was twenty years ago when i was driving 500 to 600 miles a day. I therefore drive much slower.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011

I have very similiar background except RAF joined as a driver in 1964,wont go into all the details take too long but left 32 years later as WO,if it had wheels then I drove it it and taught at some point taught it.
So would agree theoretically a Military driver is probably the most skilled.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
what did i tell you we are all the best!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back