Who's going abroad this year ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How has the fuel costs affected your travel plans for this year, have you cancelled a trip abroad in favour of a trip closer to home... or have you said hang it, Im going come hell or high water ?

We have had an expensive year, moving into and setting up a new home, so we have no van at present and this year we will probably just have a couple of weeks camping. Hopefully by next season we will have a 'hoose wi wheels' :Smile:

Our son Paul, who accompanied us while full time, is getting married on Sunday .. so that has been more expense.. but well worth it to see him settle down with a lovely girl.. although I must say, I miss him a lot, we were more like buddies than father and son.. but he has to make a life of his own.. I dread the day Chaz says she's leaving .. :cry:

Anyway.. what are your plans, stay in the UK, go abroad, or something even more exciting ?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The UK is the winner this year, more trips but with more venues per outing. Still trying to sort out the Summer Trip :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just returned from what was supposed to be a 3 week tour of France and turned out to be a 4 week tour of France and southern Spain.
Must admit fuel prices do seem to have hit the pocket harder than normal.
It did help by filling the two tanks with bio before leaving,but prices in France and Spain are not much cheaper than the UK now.Of course the state of the £ against the Euro makes it seem worse.
As regards stopping me from traveling...NO am planning a trip to Bulgaria at the end of June,hoping to return via Greece Italy.
We got em so we gotta run em.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Jim

We are still going to France this year. Looking at campsites just now been shocked at some of the prices some up to 80 euro a night. Cant make up our mind between the Veedee, south brittany or Sarlat been to Sarlat for a day and thought it was really nice.

We will be using our Tesco tokens for euro tunnel so that saving should make up for the extra fuel cost.

Gerry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Jim,

Multiple trips around UK throughout the year, though plenty shorter trips, visiting places closer to home that we have not been before.

For the summer, off to France for a month, see where the roads lead us.:thumb:

Next weekend Misterton for our first MHF meet..

Now, off to Thirsk, going to take in the races tomorrow to try something different, and we will stay on the CC club site which is part of the racecourse. Only £6 per night for a family of four.

Now if I get lucky on the horses who knows where next....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Congratulations to Wee Scotpaullad :thumb:

We are going to France in July, a straightforward 10 days, drive to an aire we know on the southern atlantic coast, and then back.

No frills,

We have also knocked on the head many dstance trips this year, opting to stay more local at weekends. We have even found a CL just 5 mins away, gorgeous and we could be anywhere in the world when there.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
France - 11th June for 15 nights. No destination fixed. Think we may head for the sun as we no longer have our much-missed dog Bryn. Hope the fuel cost will not inhibit us, we will make our mind up. In any case will be paying for fuel and peage with our Saga Platinum Credit Card so we get a month's grace to pay for it.

Steve

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
we are going to france soon ,as my mum said to me there are no pockets in shrouds you cannot take it with you.that's if you have still got any cash left after bailing out your kids lol.
tesco points for tunnel, acsi book, aires book , all help .

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Now bruno has gone although he had a passport didn't like travelling I will cross the channel, i have an outstanding ferry booking that seafrance has let me stagger a year already on.

So sometime soon here I come:Smile:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Well we only started motorhoming a year, so can't stop already! got a couple of UK trips sorted, and will be going down to Italy at end of June.

What do the kids want with an inheritance anyway? I never had one ::bigsmile:

David

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
whole of school holidays July and August. France leisurely plod down to Spain spend some time with family in Madrid, then onto Portugal Lisbon spend some time with friends then take a week or so heading home. Aires all the way. Roll on JULY!!!!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jim, now I'm clear we are spending July touring Scotland and September in France , can't wait to really get on the road ::bigsmile:

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Going to france in July for two weeks, only second time, used ACSI last year
peak season this time, only time we could go,bit concerned about 76&80 Euro prices.
we have just received France Aires book so are hoping we can spread the cost.
Going via Dieppe so we can look around Normandy beaches,after that we think
south Brittany, allowing about £260 for fuel in our budget(here's hoping).
Anyway looking foreward to it.:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
How has the fuel costs affected your travel plans for this year, have you cancelled a trip abroad in favour of a trip closer to home... or have you said hang it, Im going come hell or high water ?

We have had an expensive year, moving into and setting up a new home, so we have no van at present and this year we will probably just have a couple of weeks camping. Hopefully by next season we will have a 'hoose wi wheels' :Smile:

Our son Paul, who accompanied us while full time, is getting married on Sunday .. so that has been more expense.. but well worth it to see him settle down with a lovely girl.. although I must say, I miss him a lot, we were more like buddies than father and son.. but he has to make a life of his own.. I dread the day Chaz says she's leaving .. :cry:

Anyway.. what are your plans, stay in the UK, go abroad, or something even more exciting ?

Jim.... I am putting diesel in my tanks at 1.23 euro per ltr and 1.24 per ltr around La Rochelle and 1.25 euros per ltr around Noirmoutier........so what is it costing you in the UK ?:Eeek: maybe worth the trip

Mel

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are off to France 26th May for just over 2 weeks, taking our dog Toby for the first time, so using Tesco vouchers, not quite sure where we are going but plan to use aires as usual, hope it's not too hot for him, taking bikes to take Toby for a ride as well.
can't wait:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Were going to France this Month to track down distant family members. Decided not to, no particular reason, going to extend trip to Lake District, Scotland and York instead.
October, Baltic Wharf for Mrs Rs Birthday, might fit France in later, Lyon, meet up with friends from Oz who are touring then

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We are off to France 26th May for just over 2 weeks, taking our dog Toby for the first time, so using Tesco vouchers, not quite sure where we are going but plan to use aires as usual, hope it's not too hot for him, taking bikes to take Toby for a ride as well.
can't wait:thumb:

It is hot at the mo.......but very nice.......fresh free oysters of the beach Mmmmmmm lovely::bigsmile:

Mel

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Circumstances permitting, we're off to France straight from Norfolk bash. Blow the cost, I won't save any money for my 80s because I'll be too decrepit to travel then anyway. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
We are brand new motorhomers, 5 weeks today, and we are off to Croatia in July. It's a "let's just go for it" trip and we haven't a clue what to expect.

But isn't that the whole idea? it will be a bit random.

Phil & Gill

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We were doing 3 mths France ,Spain and Morocco,but,due to a combination of health and electrical problems that was cancelled :cry: We now leave next Tues 17th (with our 2 new solar panels) and will travel down west coast of France and into Northern Spain-aiming to get back home end of June.
Stay at home whilst kids are off school,then off again in August-I havn't been told where yet:ROFLMAO:
We find it cheaper to be abroad in the van than staying at home::bigsmile:

Mike.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are brand new motorhomers, 5 weeks today, and we are off to Croatia in July. It's a "let's just go for it" trip and we haven't a clue what to expect.

Hi Phil & Gill

You will love it in Croatia & Slovenia, we went a few years back and it is so unspoilt out there, we travelled through belgium, germany, austria, slovenia, crotia, stayed at a camp site at a town called Moscenika Draga, lovely little beach and camp good as well, then travelled back up into italy, Trieste ( I have relatives there), then Venice, Lake Garda and back up through France, use as many aires as possible, have a great trip
Val

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This is the interesting thing - fuel is at it's highest, recession is in flow...yet we have had more European Hires and enquiries for hire than we have ever had since we started the business!:Confused:

Curious!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Off to USA for a couple of weeks in the summer, doing Florida for a few days, then a weeks cruise round the Caribbean then back to Florida for a few more days then to New York for 3 days then home :thumb:

Cant wait ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`m off tomorrow for a few days Portsmouth Le Havre, then down to Royan, I got a job down there so am takin the MH instead of the van,
so MH is loaded with kit:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Three weeks in June, turning right at Calais and driving the coast road to Honfleur and the Normandy beaches.

All of September with a slow meander to the med using only 'D' roads - At least that's the plan to start with...:RollEyes:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Off 2nd June via Calais then heading vaguely leftish down to the Alps, then probably Monaco and the Med, unless the weather means we need to go to Spain.. Coming back sometime towards end of July as we have some commitments in August (including the Malvern show). Fuel costs are a pain but just need to compensate by using more free Aires. Anyway ACSI should ensure we don't shell out more than 15euro a night.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Off to France (almost free tunnel - TY Tesco:thumb:) beginning of June and exploring an area more or less bounded by Calais, Arras, Reims, Troyes, Nantes and including Brittany but avoiding Paris. Back early July.

Hope for some good weather so we can do some walking, cycling, beaching, a bit of culture (Reims cathedral - never seen it, said to be brill., same with Troyes I believe). Might spend a couple of days around Lac du der-Chantecoq depending on how we feel.

Use Acsi when possible until the cheapo period ends, some aires and Municipal sites, to keep the costs down a bit.

John

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
We will be off to Denmark at some point between the last two weeks of July and September, but we dont know when yet as we need to get quite a few things sorted first.

We might do more trips, but right now we have nothing planned.

Rasmus

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back