Who Would sell their MoHo to a Dealer?? (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Last year my Bro purchased a Burstner I900 2011 from a large Southern dealer for £72k. A year later plus 10k miles he has been offered £45k to £55k by dealers. His van is in much the same condition.
I was with him when he was offered £55k and could see the blood draining from his face!!

I know dealers have to make a profit but where do they get their stock? Are there Trade Auction similar to car?

I have a 'wanted' thread in our Motorhome For Sale section because I do would rather do a deal between private individuals with us both benefiting than just put a profit into a dealer.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We traded ours in with a dealer last month and got 50% of its original list price after 11 years of use, and there was damp detected in the doors. I was happy enough with that rate of depreciation.

There's auctions for everything. One overlooked source is Police auctions of unclaimed items or assets taken from naughty people.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My initial response would be ...
Maybe he paid over the odds at the start... then there would be any VAT..

I bought mine new in 2015 (Knaus 7m A Class) for 66k (was being adv @ just under £75k... so nearly 9% off forecourt price...

Anyway a divorce meant I had to get a valuation as a buy-back or straight sell to a dealer after 12mths...

Best price with circa 12k mile 42k from orig southern dealer... worst was 38 from Newark dealer and 40k from Lincoln...

It wasn't a shock to me... as there was cira 10k Vat on it from new
Actual cost of Moho was listed at about 52k on invoice...

Although i had no intention of loosing circa 26k ... so i now full time in it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We are trading ours into a dealer Im happy with the price + point I drive in with old motorhome then drive out with the new one.

We thought about selling it private but I would have to tell them every fault its just who I am

Paul

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I don't know, but could your Bro have paid over the odds when he bought it.

Even so, although the 45K seems low I would have thought 55K was not too bad an offer to buy in considering it is now a year older with extra milage.

I would imagine the dealer would probably now list it for around 68K including service and warranty and likely accept a reduced price and a p-ex ... unfortunately any business has to cover their overheads and make a profit. I would say that unless your Bro was prepared to advertise and wait around for a buyer then he should cut his losses and take the offer all be it with a little arm twisting for a few £ extra.

EDIT Beaten to the line by @Fletton while I was typing and I forgot the deaded VAT

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Unfortunately, buying second hand privately or from a dealer iOS almost always going to be better value - but of course, it will never be 'new'. However, the right purchase will have been lovingly cared for and probably have a few extras you wouldn't have anyway.
That said - we are on our third motorhome, always traded in to dealer and always bought new - so more full us I guess :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...if it was so easy to sell a motorhome, we'd all do it privately but we don't :whistle:
Did he overpay in the first place?
The dealer has overheads - land, buildings, rates, staff... taxes, warranty & cash costs. Advertising, taking it to shows...
Is it a popular model, or do the dealers know if will be difficult to sell, so taking the space he could buy/sell far faster thus would offer a better price...
...and lastly, the dealer has to make a profit - not least so he's there the next time.
55k @ 20% VAT is £11k = £66k so £6k for buying dealer to cover all his costs & risks and profit, plus the profit to the original dealer when he bought it.

What is book price?
How much did he think it should be worth?

Last edited:

The Mad Jock

Free Member
Dec 29, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2016
At Lincoln show last year(only went for a new frying pan & toilet chemical) we looked round the Moho as you do. Anyway started to ask what we would get in trade in for our 2010 Elddis with 50k on it. Various different prices then on way out a dealer on new Elddis offered us what we paid for it against a new one. We really liked a 2014 we saw they had and got same trade in on it. Very happy as it was not overpriced. So came away with new Moho that delivered to us at home and no money left for food for the frying pan that we bought. So sometimes better to shop around as we all do.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
...and lastly, the dealer has to make a profit - not least so he's there the next time.
55k @ 20% VAT is £11k = £66k so £6k for buying dealer to cover all his costs & risks and profit, plus the profit to the original dealer when he bought it.

What is book price?
How much did he think it should be worth?
Of course, you are right, they have t make a profit but, unless things have changed, I think your VAT calculation is incorrect as a matter of interest. The dealer will be using the used vehicle scheme which means he will only pay VAT on the difference between what he bfs it for and what he sells it for.
e.g. Buys it for £55k and sells it for £67k - difference £12k on which he will payVAT if just £2k

Also, you have the opportunity to let the deal broker the vehicle and just charge you a small percentage for him to put it on his lot but you get all of the selling price. The downside is that no dealer staff will be interested in selling your vehicle before they sell one of their own (new or used) as there is no real profit in it.
That said, both times I have successfully brokered my last two vehicles off the dealers lot.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I change mine every 3 years as mot due, part ex with dealer and drive away new. Down sizing from our 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway EB and thinking of buying a Globecar PVC this time.
I suppose over the last few years I've lost a bit of money but hey you can't take it with you when the thing with the scythe calls.

John

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have traded mine in, it will be 3 years old when we take delivery of the new van. I got 10% less than what I paid for it, not bad for 3 years depreciation. It would have been difficult if not impossible to sell it for the same price privately so I'm happy.
My dealer is in Belgium where they work on more realistic margins.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
WildAx offered me a surprising good trade in...
But that's part-ex, not a cash sale, which is a different beast.
Why doesn't your Brother sell it privately/eBay if he thinks its worth more?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Also, you have the opportunity to let the deal broker the vehicle and just charge you a small percentage for him to put it on his lot but you get all of the selling price. The downside is that no dealer staff will be interested in selling your vehicle before they sell one of their own (new or used) as there is no real profit in it.
That said, both times I have successfully brokered my last two vehicles off the dealers lot.
Letting a dealer act as a broker can be an insurance mindfield, your insurance won't cover the van on a dealer forecourt and just as likely the dealers insurance won't cover your van.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Of course, you are right, they have t make a profit but, unless things have changed, I think your VAT calculation is incorrect as a matter of interest. The dealer will be using the used vehicle scheme which means he will only pay VAT on the difference between what he bfs it for and what he sells it for.
e.g. Buys it for £55k and sells it for £67k - difference £12k on which he will payVAT if just £2k.
Appreciate that is more accurate, not accounting for the VAT paid buy original selling dealership, but the premise remains the same - costs are huge for running a business... the difference between what he bought it for £72k & £55k best offer price isn't pure profit for either dealer.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We sold our 3 year old Autosleeper to a dealer and all we lost was the vat we paid when it was new. Not a bad deal, I drove it there and drove home with a wad of cash in my bank.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Appreciate that is more accurate, not accounting for the VAT paid buy original selling dealership, but the premise remains the same - costs are huge for running a business... the difference between what he bought it for £72k & £55k best offer price isn't pure profit for either dealer.
Of course :)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Popular layouts will always make better money, Large rear lounges seem to hang around for ages on dealer sites. I part exchanged mine after 3 years use, not bought new, and got back my cost price.
I'm not complaining.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We've part exchanged our two previous vans for used vans
and have also got our cost prices back .

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I got more for mine from a dealer than privately, after the trainee money launderer tried to buy it off me I was happy with that.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
The value of your investment is best protected on the day you purchase it. If you buy a popular model at the right price (therefore it has to be private) and look after it then it will always sell well for you.

The Tincas

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The value of your investment is best protected on the day you purchase it. If you buy a popular model at the right price (therefore it has to be private) and look after it then it will always sell well for you.

The Tincas
Why does it have to be private, we have bought 2 new vans (difficult to do privately :ROFLMAO:), and lost very little on them, just don't buy from UK dealers unless you get an exceptional price.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I sold my Bolero to a dealership from the south, that had an advert running in MMM.
My wife and I were splitting up and we mutually agreed a figure which we originally were going to sell the van privately at.
After seeing the above advert, I phoned the company out of curiosity and due to the model of Bolero being very popular, they offered me a price that was very close to the figure we were hoping to sell privately at.
We agreed a slightly higher figure and the sale over the phone subject to the van being presented as described by me, their driver came up to Durham by train, gave the van a cursory check, completed the paperwork and drove the van away in to the sunset.
The entire process was quick and simple, with the bonus that I didn't have the expense or hassle of selling privately, with concerns of certain types of 'bad people' turning up at the house.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I sold my Bolero to a dealership from the south, that had an advert running in MMM.
My wife and I were splitting up and we mutually agreed a figure which we originally were going to sell the van privately at.
After seeing the above advert, I phoned the company out of curiosity and due to the model of Bolero being very popular, they offered me a price that was very close to the figure we were hoping to sell privately at.
We agreed a slightly higher figure and the sale over the phone subject to the van being presented as described by me, their driver came up to Durham by train, gave the van a cursory check, completed the paperwork and drove the van away in to the sunset.
The entire process was quick and simple, with the bonus that I didn't have the expense or hassle of selling privately, with concerns of certain types of 'bad people' turning up at the house.
I think you were very lucky the dealers that buy for cash usually offer silly low prices. You probably had a van that they already had a customer lined up for.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've been to a dealers today at Ellesmere Port, gave them the info on our 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway EB for part exchange against a Hobby Vantana PVC.
All that I'm losing is the equivalent of the VAT on our original purchase price, 3 years old and 5 journeys to Benidorm 20,700 miles.
The dealer also advised not to get van serviced or MOT'd as they will see to it all.
Also said they will not go back on there offer.

John.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
...but no self respecting British Brexiteer would want to buy your 'German' vehicle...
;) :reel: :imoutahere:

Fishing Again!:D. I would, nothing against German Goods, at the right price,(y) It`s their "Migrant Exports" that P**s me off! (and their Chancellor).:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back