Who should sort problems with new MH (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
With reference to our ongoing problems with the gearbox. We have been dealing with Fiat Assist who have been very good, considering they are dealing with French garages via a French breakdown company.
Should our dealers have any input into the problem. At the end of the day we bought the vehicle from them, not from either Fiat or the manufacturer. I am getting little input from the dealer, but will give them the benefit of doubt that my emails have not found them.
We have agreed with Fiat that we will get the vehicle back to UK and have it looked at there.

Now a second question, can anyone recommend a really really good Fiat garage somewhere in Yorkshire or Lincolnshire.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Your contract is with the person you bought the vehicle from - the dealer. It's then up to them to take it 'up the line'.

Your warranty is (probably) with Fiat. Use a Fiat Professional service centre:
upload_2017-9-28_11-29-21.png

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Happy to recommend CamperUK in Lincoln
An excellent dealership and "Approved Fiat Professional"

Not the cheapest perhaps - but that shouldn't bother you if the work is under warranty.

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/aftersales/
I tried to take our last Carthago to Camper Uk for some warranty work. (Carthago not Fiat warranty). They refused to deal with us, as we had not bought the MH from them. We have used them in the past when we had a Geist and they were very good. I will ring them and see what they say.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Pick one of the bigger Fiat Proffesional Garages. They have access to all the data and deal with all sorts of problems during the working week. They have all the correct tools and are usually very quick to sort out problems. We had an oil leak on our 2016 Fiat. Rang local Fiat Proffesional booked in within a couple of days. Fault found on Fiat Database as faulty oil feed union on Turbo. New Turbo ordered and back on the road in 48 hours. Not bad considering the part came direct from Fiat.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Although you bought the van from a dealer, the service and support on the engine side is provided by Fiat.

A bit like buying a washing machine from Curries. The appliance manufacturers carry out repairs.

Nothing unusual, though you might like to inform the dealer purely as a point of reference

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
With reference to our ongoing problems with the gearbox. We have been dealing with Fiat Assist who have been very good, considering they are dealing with French garages via a French breakdown company.
Should our dealers have any input into the problem. At the end of the day we bought the vehicle from them, not from either Fiat or the manufacturer. I am getting little input from the dealer, but will give them the benefit of doubt that my emails have not found them.
We have agreed with Fiat that we will get the vehicle back to UK and have it looked at there.

Now a second question, can anyone recommend a really really good Fiat garage somewhere in Yorkshire or Lincolnshire.

Casper,
I'm sure you are clear now that it's the Vehicle Manufacturers responsibility to deal with your problem.

You are asking for a recommendation for a Fiat/Iveco Dealer, I have had dealings with a few and without doubt the one within your designated area is Sherwood Truck and Van in Sheffield an official Dealer. Contact: Rick on Workshop Reception on 0114 269 3230.

They look after my MH and the Service and People at Sherwood are excellent, please do not consider anyone else! These people will sort it.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
As a matter of contract law, it is a matter for the dealer to put you in the position you would have been in, but for the breach of contract. A claim under a warranty is a separate matter. If I were you, I'd pursue the dealer, not the manufacturer (unless the fault is dangerous and the dealer has closed down or is otherwise unable to meet your claim).
Good luck. Some good advice on this forum.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
You bought the vehicle from a dealer and he has contractual responsibility to you. He has also earned a substantial sum from the transaction. In your position I would persue the matter via the dealer, let him decide which Fiat garage should deal with the rectification of the fault. If you should have to go down the route of rejection of the vehicle you would need to demonstrate that the dealer, with whom you have the contract, was allowed the opportunity to have the fault rectified.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As has been said before in contract law the buck stops with the supplier ie the MH supplier. I have an A class Carthago from Doncaster. I had an issue with the Fiat side I emailed the MH dealer pointing out issue and informing them that I was using a local Fiat dealer. The MH dealer agreed to my decisions. The point is that the MH dealer has full responsibility and could say bring the vehicle back to me to deal with. So the Fiat dealer could be bypassed. I suspect that probably this would never happen but the MH dealer should handle all repairs.
In my case I took the vehicle to a fiat dealer. He took a look at the vehicle and it was obvious that the staff member had never worked on a A class and I must have heard every expletive known getting access to the part.
I subsequently have been refrrred to another fiat dealer and they have A class in all the time. Just another mine field

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I tried to take our last Carthago to Camper Uk for some warranty work. (Carthago not Fiat warranty). They refused to deal with us, as we had not bought the MH from them. We have used them in the past when we had a Geist and they were very good. I will ring them and see what they say.
I wouldn't hold your breath if it's anything Carthago. Sell it and forget it is there rule.
Camper UK are the exception as I've contacted them for advice on my Carthago shed and theve been very helpful.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I wouldn't hold your breath if it's anything Carthago. Sell it and forget it is there rule.
Camper UK are the exception as I've contacted them for advice on my Carthago shed and theve been very helpful.

Is it still under warranty? As I stated earlier they refused to do any warranty work on our last Carthago.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Is it still under warranty? As I stated earlier they refused to do any warranty work on our last Carthago.
Like many dealers they only want to work on their own sold ones.
I managed a way round this shortly after buying mine new. Will not name dealers but they are Carthago. I went to Carthago dealer closer to me from where I bought my one over a small warranty issue. Although they didn't directly say, we are not touching it, they gave me an appointment some 10 weeks away. So I returned to the dealer from where I bought it.
So in anticipation of any further small warranty issues that I may have encountered over the coming weeks after purchase I contacted the dealer closer to me and took up his offer of the appointment slot, although the issue had now been fixed. By chance some weeks later another small warranty point on the vehicle came up. No great issue but I then just used the appointment slot that I had reserved with the closer dealer. Had nothing gone wrong during the period waiting for the slot i would have telephoned and cancelled the appointment. So a bit of planning ahead can catch them out.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I'm a little confused by the Carthago Dealer Policy! Could it be that Carthago Germanys Policy is such that UK Dealers can only get Warranty Authorization on Motorhomes they have actually sold?
It seems odd to me that a Dealership would want to turn work away and a Potential future Customer, you would never go and buy a MH from them having been rejected earlier.
I am sure someone will enlighten me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I believe its because the factory pay miserly rates for warranty work, and they take the attitude if the punter wants to travel for the best price they can travel to the same dealer for warranty work and they will stick with paid work that they can do at their own rates.

It's business, possibly short sighted some may say but business all the same.

And I don't think its just Carthago.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Carthago have a Pan European warranty if they refuse to do the work complain to Carthago they will soon jump on the dealer.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I'm a little confused by the Carthago Dealer Policy! Could it be that Carthago Germanys Policy is such that UK Dealers can only get Warranty Authorization on Motorhomes they have actually sold?
It seems odd to me that a Dealership would want to turn work away and a Potential future Customer, you would never go and buy a MH from them having been rejected earlier.

Funflair is correct. When I spoke to Camper UK I was told that Carthago were never in a rush to pay their bills and the rates were terrible, so they did not want our business even though Carthago warranty says that the MH can be taken to any dealer.
Our present problem is with the Fiat side of the MH so maybe Camper UK would have a different reply if we rang them, but having been refused once ( and not very politely at that) then I am not inclined to go down that road again.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Carthago have a Pan European warranty if they refuse to do the work complain to Carthago they will soon jump on the dealer.
But if they don't refuse but give you a date "in the future" what can Carthage do if the dealership is independent.

Martin

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
But if they don't refuse but give you a date "in the future" what can Carthage do if the dealership is independent.

Martin
That’s the view I took and booked a just in case appointment at the nearest dealer. Mind you even the dealer I bought it from has been very busy and struggled to offer a very near appointment but hav cmabafed to squeeze me in when I was passing them

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Carthago didn't do any jumping with my Carthago shed. My trusted and knowledgeable local repairer sorted out ALL problems and 3 year's later he still is. NO faith in the product or manufacturer.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
It was under warranty at the time but my dealer was worse than useless. My local guy sorted out the M A N Y problems. I must add it's still dropping to pieces. One of the worst motorhomes we've owned out of 13 in 35 year's.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Martin
My mate had a problem with dealer being awkward he got onto Carthago afterwards the dealer was very helpful. Also there is a guy in the Carthago Club that sorts problems like this out.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Just brought a Carthago, should I be scared!?!?

No. I am sure that ours will get sorted. The last one was fine and the few little niggles with the MH side of it were quickly sorted by the dealer.
Enjoy it.

Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
No. I am sure that ours will get sorted. The last one was fine and the few little niggles with the MH side of it were quickly sorted by the dealer.
Enjoy it.

We have a few bits to get sorted, the dealer 3a's is miles away from us, who are you using? Though are you currently broken down in France?

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a few bits to get sorted, the dealer 3a's is miles away from us, who are you using? Though are you currently broken down in France?

We have agreed with Fiat Assist that we will have a steady drive back home, rather than take it to another French garage, as the first one did not do anything to it. We have booked it in to Stoneacre at Doncaster, on the advice of our MH dealer. Any habitation problems will be sorted by the dealers we bought from.

Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
We have agreed with Fiat Assist that we will have a steady drive back home, rather than take it to another French garage, as the first one did not do anything to it. We have booked it in to Stoneacre at Doncaster, on the advice of our MH dealer. Any habitation problems will be sorted by the dealers we bought from.
good luck and hope everything gets sorted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back