Who said a Diesel cannot run on LPG (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
A bit of clarification required here as a fundamental difference.

A petrol engine can run on 100% LPG whereas a diesel will take a 20% mix of LPG into the diesel fuel lines.

US truck drivers and, relatively recently UK truck drivers, have been using this for some time to good effect as the LPG works a little like nitrous in a petrol engine.

The common and known effects are around 20% more power (either on demand via a switch or full-time), more economy and better emissions as the LPG produces are far cleaner burn.

I've been wanting to LPG-inject my tuned 300Tdi 110 Land Rover for some time. Kits are available via a company called Allisport for diesel applications with either a permanent refillable gas tank or a tank cannister for around £1,000.

To be fair, similar effects are gained from pouring a 30% mix of new vegetable oil into the tank. This works on many older Mercs (and my LR). To LPG that as well would be a very effective way of improving economy, emissions and power.

The good thing about LPG injection is that it works on ALL diesels.:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As Bellini states LPG has been used in the road haulage industry for several years. It is expensive to have properly fitted and you would need to cover many miles before you had a return on your money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting. It seems the LPG augments rather than replaces the the diesel. I assume you can use the LPG tank to also supply your habitation area. OK until you run out I suspect!

Has anybody on this forum tried this on a diesel engine?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Did this years ago on a 2.3 Frontera in conjunction with Blackburn Tech. Things may have moved on a bit since then but testing on their rolling road it was possible to achieve 8% extra power before we could not see for black smoke.

I ran it for about two years and you could feel the gas kick in but be careful as adding the cost of gas and diesel up it never ever showed any economy.

The other downside was the smoke emissions at high revs.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years

you can not run a diesel engine ON lpg but you can run it WITH lpj.
I have had a 200tdi with lpg for 5years+ goes very well. but will eat a clutch if not carful. very good for towing. But can also scrap the engine if not setup correctly.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Like many others have said it can be used in conjunction with diesel - as 20% is the maximum contamination limit of petrol in a diesel engine before problems start.

Not many do it, as although you have a slight increase in power, the benefits take many years to recoup - and with injectors costing nearly £600 each in some cases, the shortening of their service time is not desired.

You won't see much gain in economy side - you would be better off just buying a petrol/lpg if you want to see savings back.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Do not agree with the company fitting these tanks when they say that it is safer in an accident than the traditional fuels.
If a fire breaks out in or near the vehicle and the LPG tank is heated to the extent where the steel tank softens it can cause a catastrophic explosion known as a BLEVY. I know on the cylinders they are intended to strip the threads on the valve and vent the gas pressure that way but in a fire situation that can prove very interesting. As regards tanks I believe they have a venting mechanism but how much do you trust it. It really is light the blue touch paper and stand way way back if a vehicle with an LPG tank sets fire or is close to a large fire.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Do not agree with the company fitting these tanks when they say that it is safer in an accident than the traditional fuels.
If a fire breaks out in or near the vehicle and the LPG tank is heated to the extent where the steel tank softens it can cause a catastrophic explosion known as a BLEVY. I know on the cylinders they are intended to strip the threads on the valve and vent the gas pressure that way but in a fire situation that can prove very interesting. As regards tanks I believe they have a venting mechanism but how much do you trust it. It really is light the blue touch paper and stand way way back if a vehicle with an LPG tank sets fire or is close to a large fire.

If the correct tanks are fitted with over pressure valve's the tank will not explode but a controlled reduction in pressure will happen until the tank is empty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back