Who plans? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just lately we have had a few posts about planning trips, who actually does this?
We just plan on getting the tunnel and that's it, then the next is south of France, end of planning.
We just go wherever we think will be good to go to, and go.
When we feel like stopping we get p4n up on the phone and just go and park up and so on.
Are we not the same as others.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Admire and like the get up n go of y'all but we plan and plan - and have plan b and c! but this is our Germany and France trips - almost all aires not campsites ; so we look at distances between attractions and try to work out how long we will drive on how many days and then have a second or third aire to look at if the first one is full or has no waste/ehu. Our lists have lists ......
When taking the grandkids away we book a campsite and then the food planning takes over , planning is half the fun !! xxx

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Normally book our crossing then have a rough idea where we want to go, we then check weather forecast and either head there or go opposite way. We are due to sail from Hull on the 3/9 and unlikely to go so decided today we should maybe decide what we're doing :):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
However, how do you then plan what to see when in an area you weren't expecting. We use brochures we pick up locally, but have found out later we've mised things. What's the best source of info whilst travelling.
Use Google (as suggested earlier) and look for Tripadvisor entries for the preferred location. People who have been to the area before you describe and rate the local attractions.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Up to this year we have never planned stops, just an outline route which always allows changes due to weather conditions. June, Northern Spain and snow ? = change of plan.
This year however due to staycation pressures we pre booked most places especially in coastal hotspots. Back to no planning when things get back to normal.
Phil

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Just lately we have had a few posts about planning trips, who actually does this?
We just plan on getting the tunnel and that's it, then the next is south of France, end of planning.
When we feel like stopping we get p4n up on the phone and just go and park up and so on.
When abroad we usually have a rough route and an idea of our final destination but thatā€™s it. Overnight stops are researched and decided on en route to them.
Plans for our next trip currently feature one tunnel and one ferry booking. We will return around the end of October, or sometime in November šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Looking at the posts you are the same as most.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Always plan well in advance. When the weather at home is miserable and the news on the telly is depressing to sit down and go through websites, books and maps is great. Brings back memories and helps me to visualise those warm sunny days splashing in the sea and relaxing evenings sat in the lowering sun sipping lovely wines and beers.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm long retired and travel solo. In 20 years of motorhoming I've not yet toured in the U.K. by motorhome.
When the fancy takes me to go abroad I just book the 'next available' ferry (a 20 mile drive to the port). I usually have a couple of specific places in mind that it would be nice to see if I find myself in the vicinity but other than that I just wander through byways and villages, stopping anywhere that looks interesting. When I come to a fork in the road I take it.
I never make a plan because I like surprises and without a plan I'm never behind schedule.

Upvote 0

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I think for our first trip we will be like James-Alex and soak up the confidence from you more experienced travellers on here.

I will have a CCP and ASCI cards with me along with a Key Card for ID. Just for confidence!!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We did a long European tour a couple of years ago. We had a map with a bunch of markers on if for interesting places we might go and visit. Made sure we had a good mix of cities, natural wonders, heritage sites and a few fun and random things. Every few days we spent a couple of hours planning where we'd be for the next few days, but that was pretty much it. We never booked anything more than a day in advance. My wife is quite anxious, so it was bit of a leap of faith. But if anything it made it less stressful. You can't fail against a plan if you don't have one! We had some great experiences just because we were lucky and flexible. Just had to make sure we occasionally dropped into a proper campsite once in a while to do the washing, and to make sure we were back in the UK slightly before the money ran out...

Only places our lack of planning were a disadvantage was at the super touristy places like La Sagrada Familia and the Alhambra where it's hard to get tickets the day before. And if you want to hit a sporting event or festival, you obviously need to work around the dates.

When you cross into Schengen now, do you need a return journey already booked?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We did a long European tour a couple of years ago. We had a map with a bunch of markers on if for interesting places we might go and visit. Made sure we had a good mix of cities, natural wonders, heritage sites and a few fun and random things. Every few days we spent a couple of hours planning where we'd be for the next few days, but that was pretty much it. We never booked anything more than a day in advance. My wife is quite anxious, so it was bit of a leap of faith. But if anything it made it less stressful. You can't fail against a plan if you don't have one! We had some great experiences just because we were lucky and flexible. Just had to make sure we occasionally dropped into a proper campsite once in a while to do the washing, and to make sure we were back in the UK slightly before the money ran out...

Only places our lack of planning were a disadvantage was at the super touristy places like La Sagrada Familia and the Alhambra where it's hard to get tickets the day before. And if you want to hit a sporting event or festival, you obviously need to work around the dates.

When you cross into Schengen now, do you need a return journey already booked?
Only for insurance, for some reason they want you to have a return ticket.
But nothing to stop you changing it when you are there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The problem with a detailed plan is, what happens if you want to stay longer at a place, but have to be somewhere else you have booked.
Bit like the old coach tour joke, if it's Wednesday it must be Paris.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Think we can get away for a week or so in September so the books have come out and we have a vague plan :) It will depend on CalMac ferry bookings and if our daughter made her new drive gates wide enough for the van. Also I have always wanted to go gold panning at Leadhills so that will be one day sorted plus a night in D&G with the camera and tripod looking at the dark sky.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back