LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just had a day out at the Commercial Vehicle show at the NEC, quite an interesting day out (for me anyway, not sure about Mrs Funflair) cameras seem to be pretty big at the moment anything from basic crash cam's to full 360deg monitoring or parking cameras.

But the star had to be the "MirrorEye" system that is fully approved and can make all of your mirrors even on HGV's redundant.

http://www.stoneridge.com/mirroreye/

I have not found the price of this yet but the full 360 birds eye view parking system is a hit less than £2k fitted so quite interesting.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
They look very good Martin. A few years back when I had the RV I was offered a 360 camera pack that was set up on the top 4 corners of the RV, The problem then was the awning screwed the view. These seem a good replacement for mirrors, and at £2k that's got to be close to the cost of some modern coach style mirrors. Power fold in looks interesting as does the night vision enhancement. I wonder how long before these become a standard fit? The question might be a legal requirement for mirrors??

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Trucks are leading the way for use in London. They have to have side cameras, front cameras, rear cameras, radar, alarms, the works.
I saw a program where the presenter was asked to take some time setting the mirrors (electric) on a tractor unit. Two on the offside and three on the nearside. When happy there wasn't anything to see she had to close her eyes for a few seconds and re check, still happy she was asked to leave the cab and walk round it. There were ten pedestrians under the windscreen, a range rover and a dozen cyclists on her nearside and not a single one showed up in any of the mirrors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They look very good Martin. A few years back when I had the RV I was offered a 360 camera pack that was set up on the top 4 corners of the RV, The problem then was the awning screwed the view. These seem a good replacement for mirrors, and at £2k that's got to be close to the cost of some modern coach style mirrors. Power fold in looks interesting as does the night vision enhancement. I wonder how long before these become a standard fit? The question might be a legal requirement for mirrors??
Hi Michael

The £2k option was for the birds eye parking camera system, I didn't get the price of the "mirroreye" mirror replacement system, they are going to e-mail me so I am sat down when I read it.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Here's one for rather less than £2K:

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/a...-360-camera-system-in-your-motorhome-part-one

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
watching with interest o_O

IMG_2211.JPG

this was me neatly parked out of the way at Mertrux this week :(

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've got 360 degree camera view on my Nissan Qashquai and it's absolutely spot on, I've never hit an old lady pushing a trolley behind me in an Aldi car park yet

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
But the star had to be the "MirrorEye" system that is fully approved and can make all of your mirrors even on HGV's redundant.

http://www.stoneridge.com/mirroreye/

did they go out of the way to pick the most irritating music ever for that video? I had to mute it. Sounded like a child was turning the volume up and down to the beat while someone else was playing the same tune on a phone in the back ground. Grrr.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looked at as a % of the cost of a new truck or MH you think they'd be fitted as standard based on the safety improvements alone

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Another piece of crappy elektrickery to replace a piece of reflective glass:rolleyes: my heart bleeds
95% of reversing accidents are caused by not looking into the reflective glass
Now with these are super safe gadgets 95% of accident will be cause by not looking at a screen:doh:
you cant gadget your way out of human error
Whats the trucker to do when his cameras or screen screw up mid journey £200k worth of kit of the road due to an electrical gremlin
he cant pop into Halfords for a temp fix
We really must stop making "Improovments" Just because we can.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
did they go out of the way to pick the most irritating music ever for that video? I had to mute it. Sounded like a child was turning the volume up and down to the beat while someone else was playing the same tune on a phone in the back ground. Grrr.
Ah well, I only watched with the sound off because the rest of the room were watching TV so just for you I watched and listened

And it was better with the sound OFF.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another piece of crappy elektrickery to replace a piece of reflective glass:rolleyes: my heart bleeds
Now with these are super safe gadgets 95% of accident will be cause by not looking at a screen:doh:
Whats the trucker to do when his cameras or screen screw up mid journey £200k worth of kit of the road due to an electrical gremlin
Hi Geo I agree with most if not all of what you say, but I guess I am just a sucker for"crappy elektrickery" I did wonder what the fall back was when it all goes T--s up.

There again we have have some improvements as without it we would still have a horse and cart with "square wheels" so I guess the trick is picking the genuinely worthwhile ones.

I am told that square wheels are quite good in muddy fields though.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Oh yes the days of clutch less gearboxes, save all that maintenance, but then my great grandfather thought cars would not last!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting if expensive.

I just have a few comments.

What happens if the fuse blows when in the middle lane of a M/Way?

If you are operating the controls can you not be done for driving without due care? like with some other in-cab equipment?

I would be loathe to fit the cameras at Transit-hitting level, because of replacement cost, and how would you get a replacement quickly - doubt if Motor Factors or Dealers will be stocking them soon.

I note in the one Martin posted in his OP that their contact point was Chief Financial Officer. I just wonder whether they do not yet have finance for production and are lookking for finance/crowd-funding?

If you change MHs do you sell the system with the old MH and buy another system, or replace all the pre-existing mirrors on the old MH?

Just some points I personally would consider before buying.

Geoff

Geoff

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting if expensive.

I just have a few comments.

What happens if the fuse blows when in the middle lane of a M/Way?

If you are operating the controls can you not be done for driving without due care? like with some other in-cab equipment?

I would be loathe to fit the cameras at Transit-hitting level, because of replacement cost, and how would you get a replacement quickly - doubt if Motor Factors or Dealers will be stocking them soon.

I note in the one Martin posted in his OP that their contact point was Chief Financial Officer. I just wonder whether they do not yet have finance for production and are lookking for finance/crowd-funding?

If you change MHs do you sell the system with the old MH and buy another system, or replace all the pre-existing mirrors on the old MH?

Just some points I personally would consider before buying.

Geoff

Geoff
Hi Geoff I think there is big business behind them, agree about the fuse issue though and the vulnerability element although they do fold back. As far as fiddling with controls? I don't think there is anything to fiddle with.

Martin

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
parts failure is the same for many components most vehicles are drive by wire throttles ,electronic clutches electric power steering a fuse can go on all of those

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back