Who keeps their MH on their drive? (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
simple question, do you keep your MH on your drive?

Currently we don't as their isn't room but we are house hunting and have found a place we like but there's a covenant on it saying you can't park caravans, boats and MH on your drive, which is a bit East Germany but it is a very nice house.

Just wondered who out there has similar restrictions but ignores them? We plan to park it anyway and see if anyone complains.

There is another one that says you have to keep your front lawn to max of 1 inch in length which is hilarious, and specifys rotary washing lines only which is just daft.

Interestingly there is one that says your front lawn must stay as lawn, but the house opposite has completely paved their front garden for parking, wonder if they got consent or just did it?
Not east germanyish...just good neighbourlyish

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know ... just that when we were told about the covenant we said if we couldn't park a MH/caravan there we'd have to look to buy a different property - this was what they and their solicitor came up with and our solicitor also agreed it should be sufficient!
Wish we'd known this a few years back, a perfect house for us but a covenant in place so we didn't buy it.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We haven't before as there was covenant covering caravans etc., and I'm a stickler for rules but recently caravans mostly have been kept in front of a few houses. We will be leaving our new to us PVC on the drive as no different to the many work vans on drives.

Chris Jackson

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Belper
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2012
On your drive is a brilliant way of telling criminals that the house is unoccupied for a while!!!

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
On your drive is a brilliant way of telling criminals that the house is unoccupied for a while!!!

this would require them to case your house before you went away and then by coincidence return after you go on holiday, and the 2 cars still on the drive may put them off.

I'd be happy to balance the convenience of having it on my drive against the chance of being burgled by burglars who observe a lack of a MH on a drive but then aren't put off by 2 cars on the drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
True; that's when good neighbours can be really useful - not just overseeing your house, but also parking their car on your driveway while you're away.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
AS I have 2 x 6. 3. sons going in and out. Most people will stay away. Plus they use the motorhome. And I am still at home.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
We searched long and hard to find a house with a drive big enough to park our van and without the dreaded Council or neighbourhood covenant, and after almost a year of looking found our ideal place. This was great and we enjoyed the practicalities of having our van at home, however, we came back after a weekend away just before Christmas to find we had been burgled, the police are convinced that the 'criminal' had been watching our house (and several others he did over a space of a few days) and that the absence of the van had been the catalyst to our break-in. We have now invested in a new police response alarm (£1000) but still feel hesitant to bring it home again.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We searched long and hard to find a house with a drive big enough to park our van and without the dreaded Council or neighbourhood covenant, and after almost a year of looking found our ideal place. This was great and we enjoyed the practicalities of having our van at home, however, we came back after a weekend away just before Christmas to find we had been burgled, the police are convinced that the 'criminal' had been watching our house (and several others he did over a space of a few days) and that the absence of the van had been the catalyst to our break-in. We have now invested in a new police response alarm (£1000) but still feel hesitant to bring it home again.
That would make sense but ONLY if the same was true of the others who'd been burgled too, if your car, motorhome etc wasn't there it doesn't automatically mean that the house isn't occupied - we have lights coming on automatically on timers both when at home and when away so there's no difference, a burglar would therefore have to look for more than just a vehicle being missing.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Agree that is not the only factor, however a motor home on the drive is fairly big object and a whilst I agree about cars having the same or a similar effect the absence of a mh is fairly noticeable, I also have outside security lights and timers, however, the Scene of Crimes Officer (or whatever they are called these days) stated that it was probably a defining factor and that there is evidence for motorhome and caravan owners to be done whilst they are away due to the fact that the ever present hulk on your driveway is missing.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Further to my previous post
Moved in the last year and only just getting around to sorting a proper space for the MH in the front garden.
View attachment 89499
Four strips now dug out. Knocked up 3 1/2 ton of concrete yesterday and another 3 ton of ballast coming on Monday. It beats going to the gym.

Followe by 4 tons of shingle. Now all finished.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I searched for this, my ideal retirement property for a long time, certainly over a year. It is difficult to see my motorhome at my house even though it is 8.5 Metres and 5.3 tonne. Everyone who comes here who knows I have a motorhome asks where I keep it. We wander outside and turn a corner and there it is, nicely hidden from prying eyes.

All your tales of robbery fill me with dread at leaving my home for an extended period even though I have a fairly sophisticated alarm and surveillance system. Fingers crossed, in fact I am fairly sure we will take in a house sitting tennant while we are away just for my own piece of mind.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Nice little "aire" you have in front of your parking space there Graham. I assume the services are just out of shot? :LOL:
EHU on the wall and water and dump just around the corner. Sea view 2 metres from the motorhome door. 70 metres to the beach. Pub 150 metres. Shops and takeaways 400 metres.
The perfect aire :party:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I keep our MH on the drive. In fact it sticks out onto the kerb around 2 feet. As I'm on the end of a culdesac roundabout hardly anyone passes so thankfully no complaints. One of the biggest benefits for me with it being on the drive is ...If I run out of something food wise i'm sure to find the same in MH to borrow. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Going for a second viewing of the house on Saturday, time to have a closer look at the road and see if there are other MH or caravans Parked on driveways and see if anyone else has broken the covenant conditions, did notice on street view that the house opposite has paved his front lawn in breach of a different covenant.

Apparently it cost a lot of money to enforce a covenant which your average resident isn't going to spend but I don't want to move to a nice street and annoy everyone.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It is if you don't have two 19 year olds and a 21 year old at home. Then there's their other halfs that come for the weekend , whilst we're away .
We kept our other larger MH in storage. Which was no bother, 1/2 hour away in Castelford. Far too big to keep at home. We wouldn't want to annoy the neighbours , with a big white blob blocking light, views etc.

Pug our PVC is down the bottom of the drive. I front of the garage. Behind number 2 sons car and Ralphs pick up. Mines in the ( hard cored) front garden , number 1sons cars on the road out front. Our daughter doesn't have a car yet, as she's only on an apprenticeships wage and can't afford to run one. But next year.........

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I think I will volunteer to housesit for @Popeye . I hear that he has some good scotch. I will guard that for him.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I think I will volunteer to housesit for @Popeye . I hear that he has some good scotch. I will guard that for him.

Yes Mike I'm afraid saying it twice doesn't make it any more likely to happen, it takes me two weeks of hard labour at B&Q's wages to save up enough for a bottle of cheap Scotch, but you're welcome to a small one when next we meet, just for your cheek, mind you Rose can have several dry sherry, she's very welcome. :drinks:

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
That would make sense but ONLY if the same was true of the others who'd been burgled too, if your car, motorhome etc wasn't there it doesn't automatically mean that the house isn't occupied - we have lights coming on automatically on timers both when at home and when away so there's no difference, a burglar would therefore have to look for more than just a vehicle being missing.

You can also get a device which closes the curtains at dusk and opens them at dawn. That, coupled with lights on a timer, gives the best indication that a house is occupied.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back