Who is still going to go to Europe in the next couple of weeks (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
My son is at present with his van on Sicily, having gone into Italy when France went into lock down the last time, to find a few weeks later he had to go into lock down locally. He found a UK couple who gave him and his partner work in return for food and accommodation for free! After about a month of hard work he wasn't used to 🤣, lock down lifted so decided time to move on. He could see further lock downs coming locally so they decided to take the ferry from Civitavecchia to Palermo in Sicily! No problem whatsoever, even given a free covid-19 test on arrival. Very few people around - well what a surprise - and plenty of places to park for the night, local police not interested as long as only a few people being sensible. So far so good!! But here comes the crunch!!! Local lock down is being enforced locally over Christmas and new year, so to be on the safe side they've booked into a campsite €20ish a night 😱!!!! Among people!!! And who knows what is next!! Watch this space!
I thought he was mad going, having unpacked my van earlier in the year - oh to be younger again - where it still is!
Happy Christmas everyone, but it does look lovely in Sicily!! 🤬🤯
IMG-20201214-WA0007.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
A friend of mine does parcels delivery all over Europe. He came into UK last week Saturday as normal routine, and leaving Monday morning. He picked up few more parcels up north and delayed his usual crossing. Last shuttle last night was at 9.26 pm local time. No tickets left so he managed to get a ferry ticket on the last boat 9.30pm. He didn’t cross. They all stuck in Dover port, barrier down. They get tea and toilet access and waiting. So far 22hrs and counting, hopefully will let them through tomorrow evening. Another mate he is trucking in UK up and down the country. From Tilbury to Luton two and half hrs of traffic. What’s going on? Ppl supposed to stay put.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Unless they announce "Al n Val please don't travel" on News at Ten over the next 5 nights then we are still travelling towards the tunnel on sunday morning, that or they announce the tunnel is closed until further notice.

Forever the optimist ;)
Did you stay or did you go/ try and go?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Did you stay or did you go/ try and go?

hi Billy

no we didn’t set off as France n Spain have banned tourists until at least 6th Jan, that and the announcement to needing a negative Covid test on the 24th Dec simply didn’t allow us the time to get one sorted.

So we are ready to go as soon as we are allowed to so keeping our fingers crossed for early Jan 2021

Someone we know’s friend flew into Alicante yesterday morning and got sent back home even though they had all the requirements in place

did anyone else try??

Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
did anyone else try??

Al

We drove to the South of Spain while it was still allowed, travelling on 18/19th December with no issues, arriving just before the Spanish inter-regional travel ban which came in on the 23rd December. (I'm not sure if it is all regions).

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We drove to the South of Spain while it was still allowed, travelling on 18/19th December with no issues, arriving just before the Spanish inter-regional travel ban which came in on the 23rd December. (I'm not sure if it is all regions).

yes it was possible to go then but i’m wondering if anyone had travelled on or since boxing day. yes i know it’s only the 28th 🎅

we were there until the 7th and came home for christmas to see the family which we did so can’t wait to get back away from all the crap and cold we have here

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If this is aimed at me ,as I said we where thinking we might use the booking not definitely going to use it . We have looked at the madness that’s going on inside and outside shops at the moment ,the madness on the seafront near us hundreds of people with no social distance at all . The amount of people holding parties at home it’s just not working so if we and it’s a big if decide to go surely it would be safer for us ,armed with our negative COVID test to travel to Portugal . Filling up at contact less pumps and isolating on a nearly empty campsite ? . You do what you feel safe with and I wouldn’t dream of Criticising you but please don’t call me foolish.
As I said on different post yesterday the only question you should ask yourself is "What would happen if everyone did it?"

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
yes it was possible to go then but i’m wondering if anyone had travelled on or since boxing day. yes i know it’s only the 28th 🎅

we were there until the 7th and came home for christmas to see the family which we did so can’t wait to get back away from all the crap and cold we have here
Not sure about direct to Spain but only nationals , residents and commerce into France at the moment

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Spain is the same according to Gov.uk, there will hopefully be a change on the 6th Jan BUT it could be for longer, we'll have to wait and see ;) :crying1:
Who knows given the new variant. Health minister here has not ruled out another serious lockdown . A friend who works in a bar says 15 Jan opening previewed is looking more like March/ April. We are mentally ready for no change here or tighter anything better will be a bonus :-(

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's not good for you lot, but good for us.
Our little island is doing OK, and you can't come here unless you are clean.

Keeps me safe.

Hope it all improves for you all soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back