Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi..jst got back from 3 weeks in normandy,brittany and reading your posts wish I was back there..did one passion,one municipal campsite,and the rest aires,though some didnt work/weren't there,so wild camped about a week in all.The popularity of the aires ranged from 3 including us at St Aubin to maybe 80 at Honfleur!!..what an amazing bridge.The main problem we had was with our garmin,which kept dragging us down single track lanes,even put us in a field,till we had the balls to ignore the crazy bitch.So there's 3 preferences.faster time.shorter distance,or off road We thought if we went for faster time rather than shorter dis it would help but it made no difference..anyone got any ideas before the sat nav sends me up my own exhaust pipe..cheers

Deleted User
Hi..jst got back from 3 weeks in normandy,brittany and reading your posts wish I was back there..did one passion,one municipal campsite,and the rest aires,though some didnt work/weren't there,so wild camped about a week in all.The popularity of the aires ranged from 3 including us at St Aubin to maybe 80 at Honfleur!!..what an amazing bridge.The main problem we had was with our garmin,which kept dragging us down single track lanes,even put us in a field,till we had the balls to ignore the crazy bitch.So there's 3 preferences.faster time.shorter distance,or off road We thought if we went for faster time rather than shorter dis it would help but it made no difference..anyone got any ideas before the sat nav sends me up my own exhaust pipe..cheers

Buy a map?:)

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We are at the Aire St Claire at Neufchatel en Bray heading for Mont St Michel (or thereabouts) for the T de F Grande Depart :):france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We are in an Aire at Le Touquet.. Rather pleasant.. Loads of Brits here.. Our last day.

Fuel - never had a problem getting it.. Cheap as chips too.
About 1700 miles traveled so far in our 2 week honeymoon.
Roads are a joy to drive on. Why use the tolls.. I never realised the French countryside could be so beautiful and as you drive through village after village, each offers something different, I am totally smitten by it now.. We are already planning a next visit. Met some totally wonderful people on Aires and campsites, Camping Parc Verger is a little gem, Franc and Lisa have a wonderful place there.. I could really live in some of the parts of France due to its tranquility.. I really could. :whistle:

Anyway, we look forward to getting back to a rather different looking Blighty today.. and catching up on the interesting times as a free country.. I'm sure Kat will have a few words later too..

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Morning both! That 2 weeks has gone quickly! Glad you enjoyed it! But 2 weeks isn't long enough is it?! Safe travels home ! Perhaps see you in a muddy field soon!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
At CCarcassonne until tomorrow then moving on to check out some local aires. Weather hot and sunny but last night had a massive storm with hail thunder and lightning. Going into Le cite later for a huge lunch.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Roads are a joy to drive on. Why use the tolls.. I never realised the French countryside could be so beautiful and as you drive through village after village, each offers something different, I am totally smitten by it now..

I could really live in some of the parts of France due to its tranquility.. I really could. :whistle:

Thank you for expressing so well the reasons that we have lived here for 13 years.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Still in France after 6 weeks and done about 1200 miles, no hurry to go anywhere. Not spent a single night on an aire, just some nice municipals and ACSI sites, not forgetting Parc Verger.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
At CCarcassonne until tomorrow then moving on to check out some local aires. Weather hot and sunny but last night had a massive storm with hail thunder and lightning. Going into Le cite later for a huge lunch.

Still living in Toulouse...well next to:). If you fancy a free stopover...
I have to warn you though ...Gypsies have invaded the stadium. They should leave on Monday....I cross my fingers.

Deleted User
Still living in Toulouse...well next to:). If you fancy a free stopover...
I have to warn you though ...Gypsies have invaded the stadium. They should leave on Monday....I cross my fingers.

I thought the French police had a way with gypsies and could move them on quickly.

Where we are near La Baule there is a regular 'invasion' of Gens de Voyage and they mostly stay on the same plots with services provided by the local authorities. I think that they are largely market traders and seasonal business operators of some kind, they are certainly not the same as the 'travellers' found in the UK.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are in Les Eduts on our own little aire, better known as our house. All being well we shall be here until late September, with trips here and there in between. If anyone wants an overnight you are welcome, but no dogs as Casper is a person lover, but does not share with other dogs.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Can you buy one of those travel a lot thingies some Funsters have as you are so near the tunnel? Weekend s away will be so easy?!:)
I'll translate. Frequent traveller.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Andrea! I amon my weekend jollies and my brain is asleep but shoes are matching thankyou!!!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I thought the French police had a way with gypsies and could move them on quickly.

Where we are near La Baule there is a regular 'invasion' of Gens de Voyage and they mostly stay on the same plots with services provided by the local authorities. I think that they are largely market traders and seasonal business operators of some kind, they are certainly not the same as the 'travellers' found in the UK.

Well, the stadium is NOT municipal but private. Therefore it's like they were entering your garden and settling in without any permission .
Of course the Mairie tried to help. They provide rubbish containers, but see I just spent and hour (without succeeding BAM as it's the weekend) ... trying to find the right service to come and empty them as they are full!!! And with the wind I bet it will be a mess before Monday morning (usual collecting day).
I feel desperate and lonely to face it all!
I'm fed up , think I'll have a shopping time to buy something really nice for lunch.... might comfort me a bit! Here they are :
SL376303.JPG
SL376302.JPG
SL376299.JPG
SL376297.JPG

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Courage ma brave, get some chocolate, that always helps! We leave on Wednesday for 12 days in northern France, seeing friends and going to Le Mans classique. Will French people be pleased to see us or not Frankie??
xx

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
WARNING!!

The Badknees on tour land in France on Sunday morning. :D

Deleted User
Well, the stadium is NOT municipal but private. Therefore it's like they were entering your garden and settling in without any permission .
Of course the Mairie tried to help. They provide rubbish containers, but see I just spent and hour (without succeeding BAM as it's the weekend) ... trying to find the right service to come and empty them as they are full!!! And with the wind I bet it will be a mess before Monday morning (usual collecting day).
I feel desperate and lonely to face it all!
I'm fed up , think I'll have a shopping time to buy something really nice for lunch.... might comfort me a bit! Here they are :
View attachment 112263 View attachment 112264 View attachment 112265 View attachment 112266

You have my sympathy, let's hope that they are gone soon. Most of the 'encampments near us seem to use the same pieces of land each year and are tolerated by the local authority etc.

Last year some set up on a village 'Stade' inland and were moved within a week but I don't know exactly how quickly as is it is not a place I pass every day.

I notice on your first picture that they have erected a marquee or big gazebo which gives the site a look of permanence, I hope they don't leave a big mess for someone, not you, to clear up.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
they have erected a marquee or big gazebo which gives the site a look of permanence,

They said to my Boss they would be gone on Monday....The mess is already about everywhere. There are a few outside toilets but even so, they prefer the fields ... or even my garden!
I will start to breathe when I see that marquee down ... 2 Days to go...hopefully!:rolleyes:

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Will French people be pleased to see us or not
Am staying on Municipal Camping du Bois Dinot (also ASCI), Marans, been here past 3 weeks, waiting for Richard's arrival by sailing boat in La Rochelle in maybe another weeks time. All French have been so kind and helpful, before and after Brexit! Have car here as well as Wildax Aurora, before Brexit had red brake fluid warning light on continually which transpired to be not lack of brake fluid but the container had fallen off its bracket so sensor not recording level, the gardening man on campsite kindly cable tied it for me as temp measure and I travelled to dealer in La Rochelle 25 mins away and they discovered one side of bracket had broken away so glue gunned it and filled to max level with fluid. They did not make any charge for this - was amazed, my garage at home wouldn't have done for nothing!!
Since Brexit French people have enquired what I think but all seem to wish they weren't in EU either and I am sure if their tourist trade doesn't suffer because of it they wouldn't care if we are in or out.
Since Brexit, yesterday I went to auto electricians to get replacement cable for GPS (the cigarette socket end burnt out) and although agent for most makes of GPS was not an agent for Snooper. We did have a discussion about Brexit which made no difference to his kind offer that if I left the useless burnt out cable with him he would do some searching to source and order one for me and asked me to return next week to pick it up. I obviously was delighted and agreed. Vive La France!
Sue

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
They said to my Boss they would be gone on Monday....The mess is already about everywhere. There are a few outside toilets but even so, they prefer the fields ... or even my garden!
I will start to breathe when I see that marquee down ... 2 Days to go...hopefully!:rolleyes:
I

Frankie, that's awful. As you know, similar problems in UK with excrement ( human and dog) and. Rubbish left anywhere and everywhere.
I hope they disappear on Monday without leaving damage.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Courage ma brave, get some chocolate, that always helps! We leave on Wednesday for 12 days in northern France, seeing friends and going to Le Mans classique. Will French people be pleased to see us or not Frankie??
xx

Never saw your post lol ! I don't think that French people are going to hate Brits just because they have chosen to be free...In fact I'm even sure they'll have a little light in their eyes as Brexit is much of a French attitude I would think! In my opinion they are both sad you left and stuck with your bravery... No one can now say Brits have no balls! Ok it might be a big mess at the beginning, but no one really knows how big, and if you all stick to it, and help yourself by helping your country and accepting the nasty sides effects , well it could a king choice... Of course I am not enough aware of all the consequences to have a proper look at it and it's not this thread's subject either!

PS: You're all still welcome to stop at my place, I'll always love a nice chat in English!

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
Now stuck outside St Breuic in hotel with motorhome in Peuguot garage with gearbox gone.(no 3rd gear).
Be lucky if it's fixed by Friday which would leave me time to catch a vet and make the tunnel on the 6th July.
With fuel shortage, flooded off site and housed in municipal sports hall for 4 nights, having my wing mirror swiped off by a 4x4 and now this I would definitely say this is my worst trip abroad ever.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Now stuck outside St Breuic in hotel with motorhome in Peuguot garage with gearbox gone.(no 3rd gear).
Be lucky if it's fixed by Friday which would leave me time to catch a vet and make the tunnel on the 6th July.
With fuel shortage, flooded off site and housed in municipal sports hall for 4 nights, having my wing mirror swiped off by a 4x4 and now this I would definitely say this is my worst trip abroad ever.
Ruddy hell! sorry to hear your bad news, hope things get sorted. Gear box probs and lost wing mirrors are so expensive but replaceable without injury except to your wallet!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks for the offer @yodeli . Frankie. We were heading in the opposite direction, spent 2 nights at Lagrasse aire but Spice cut a pad and so we moved to a site where we have good grass to rest it for a few days. Will then head northeast on our way home, taking a couple of weeks, first stop Hauterives (Palais Ideal), we really don't do big towns.:coffee:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back