Who insures for unattended m'home abroad?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by wanderingyp, Oct 8, 2018.

1. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +736
    On renewing my motorhome insurance I asked if I was covered for leaving motorhome either on campsite or in secure storage if during winter stay in S. Spain I flew home for a week to 2 weeks. Comfort my existing insurer have 48 hr clause in policy that you must contact to pay extra for doing so. Leaving a van unattended requires a form to be submitted with details of secure storage and it is not guaranteed that it will be accepted. They are happy to insure for locked storage in UK but say they discourage abroad as the majority of past claims have been for problems associated with storage abroad, and they quoted about £50 a week if form accepted.

Out of curiosity I phoned C&CC, Adrian Flux, AIB and BeWiser to pose same question and ALL of them said not covered at all for this scenario abroad and could only do for UK.

Does anybody now an insurer who covers this?

2. Mikeday

Mikeday Funster

Ratings:
    +2
    I have been asking the same question to many insurance company’s and have had the same answer from all NO so how do people manage ?..

3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,491
    Maybe many are unaware that they are not covered.

Would the storage facility have insurance (I am guessing not) ?

4. QFour

QFour Funster

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Insurers only insure risks they are happy with. They know in the Uk which storage facilities they are happy with and have data they can use to calculate the risk. You have been offered insurance @ £50 a week on a site that they are happy with. If your vehicle goes missing or is badly damaged then they will pay out maybe thousands to have it repaired.

You could of course just leave it and hope that it’s ok

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 9:14 AM
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +22,620
    It is not just abroad, most policy state no more than 48 hours unattended away from normal place of storage.

6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,469
    most insurers are multinational so the data for storage facilities abroad would be available to access the risk I think its more about insurers only wanting mainstream customers who they can insure using whats on their screens

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +42,084
    I don't insure anything I don't have to...

JJ :cool:

8. quilkin

quilkin Funster

Ratings:
    +15
    I had the same problem trying to insure for unattended parking outside UK (or for more than 48 hours in UK). I've come to the conclusion that it's a risk I'll have to take if I want to do so. But it would be interesting to know if anyone here has had their motorhome stolen (first-hand experience only please) and if so what sort of place was it parked, and how long had it been there?

• Like it Like it x 1