Who insures for unattended m'home abroad?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by wanderingyp, Oct 8, 2018.

1. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +744
    On renewing my motorhome insurance I asked if I was covered for leaving motorhome either on campsite or in secure storage if during winter stay in S. Spain I flew home for a week to 2 weeks. Comfort my existing insurer have 48 hr clause in policy that you must contact to pay extra for doing so. Leaving a van unattended requires a form to be submitted with details of secure storage and it is not guaranteed that it will be accepted. They are happy to insure for locked storage in UK but say they discourage abroad as the majority of past claims have been for problems associated with storage abroad, and they quoted about £50 a week if form accepted.

Out of curiosity I phoned C&CC, Adrian Flux, AIB and BeWiser to pose same question and ALL of them said not covered at all for this scenario abroad and could only do for UK.

Does anybody now an insurer who covers this?

2. Mikeday

Mikeday Funster

Ratings:
    +5
    I have been asking the same question to many insurance company’s and have had the same answer from all NO so how do people manage ?..

3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +23,450
    Maybe many are unaware that they are not covered.

Would the storage facility have insurance (I am guessing not) ?

4. QFour

QFour Funster

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Insurers only insure risks they are happy with. They know in the Uk which storage facilities they are happy with and have data they can use to calculate the risk. You have been offered insurance @ £50 a week on a site that they are happy with. If your vehicle goes missing or is badly damaged then they will pay out maybe thousands to have it repaired.

You could of course just leave it and hope that it’s ok

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,775
    It is not just abroad, most policy state no more than 48 hours unattended away from normal place of storage.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,893
    most insurers are multinational so the data for storage facilities abroad would be available to access the risk I think its more about insurers only wanting mainstream customers who they can insure using whats on their screens

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +42,949
    I don't insure anything I don't have to...

JJ :cool:

8. quilkin

quilkin Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    I had the same problem trying to insure for unattended parking outside UK (or for more than 48 hours in UK). I've come to the conclusion that it's a risk I'll have to take if I want to do so. But it would be interesting to know if anyone here has had their motorhome stolen (first-hand experience only please) and if so what sort of place was it parked, and how long had it been there?

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. IandJ

IandJ Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Quiet surprise to read about these problems with insurance, especially if it also applies to the UK & car insurance.
    I wonder how many millions of people leave their cars parked for more than 48 hours in car parks, friends drives or at airports whilst away, are all these vehicles not insured?

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +24,775
    I think you will find its specific to Motorhome policies and very expensive cars.

• Like it Like it x 2
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +100,616
    It's always a moot point about valid insurance when your van is with a dealer/garage etc for longer than a day or two. Some vans spend weeks away getting fixed. Even given the dealers/garage insurance and their responsibility.. I expect many motorhomes away from home like this are effectively uninsured.

12. IandJ

IandJ Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Interesting point.

My policy states :
    The cover you have under this policy applies to you when your vehicle is in the hands of a motor trader carrying on a business from a motor trade outlet or premises for service, overhaul or repair.

So whilst in sunny Spain if my vehicle requires a service or repair........................

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. quilkin

quilkin Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    After a *very* long email excahnge with my insurers, within which I pointed out the shortcomings in their policy woding, I finally had the following message:

"I have now had a lengthy discussion with the underwriter ...... and he has agreed that the wording is somewhat ambiguous in relation to leaving your vehicle unattended in the UK. He has suggested that we update our wording to stipulate any vehicle left unattended for more than 7 days will need to be reported and clearly state that any vehicle being left unattended in the EU will also need to be reported.

In short, you do not need to notify us when leaving your vehicle unattended in the UK unless there is a permanent change in storage. Please accept my apologies for the protracted response but please rest assured we have your best interests in mind.
    "

So it was worth perserving with this, I now have it in writing that I'm covered under these circumstances.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  14. QFour

QFour Funster

Ratings:
    +1,322
    So if you leave it unattended for more than 7 days in the Uk you need to tell them and I presume they will want to charge you or If you leave it unattended in the EU you have to report it straight away.

The short answer does not make sense.

15. quilkin

quilkin Funster

Ratings:
    +18
    Maybe you're right about being left unattended outside the UK - I will ask for clarification on that. But for leaving the van in the UK, before our email exchange they had told me that it could be left unattended for up to 48 hours in a 'secure place'. When I asked, they couldn't actually define what a secure place was.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,307
    Items have been stolen from cassa gold sites, so that's not 100%.
    UK insurers are very difficult. Sometimes their policies are not clear, and when you question it to be on the safe side, they don't know. I had a question that my policy, it covers me 3rd party on a car lent to me in an emergency.
    I asked what do they call an emergency? How long can I drive car for?
    Either I'm covered or I'm not. They (comfort) couldn't give me an exact answer.