Who has done the longest drive (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Longest drive for us was 1,500 miles Malaga to North Wales in two days 3 years ago not something we would want to repeat.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm sorry to be a party pooper but as someone who has been on the receiving end of such behavior and lost a loved one due to someone falling asleep at the wheel I cannot see why this is a topic for bragging over. There is a reason why professional drivers have tachographs and only allowed to drive for limited times.

Well thank god for the right of choice and the right to be an individual be a boring old world if we all sat on the sofa whining and doing nothing.
Some of us like to push the boundaries and travel to far off places where tourists never go others like to spend the winter on a beach in Spain some never get the urge to leave home.

Not suggesting that driving until you fall asleep is responsible behaviour because obviously it isn't and not something I condone and I sympathise with anyone's loss because of this behaviour.However to suggest that just because others have done epic journeys makes them somehow irresponsible and just braggers is certainly a very narrow minded and blinkered opinion.
Some people can happily drive or ride many hundreds of miles day after day with no ill effects I happen to be one of those. Others can only manage a few hours a day before they lose concentration I have friends like that. Are we all to be reduced to doing the least or are we allowed to be individuals and make our own choices?
Well I for one will continue to make my own choices and travel as I see fit for as far and long as I choose and neither ask for permission or seek approval.
Happy Travels(y)(y)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
LA to Boston, southern route via Arizona, Texas, the Florida Keys and Times Square :Eeek: . Part of a 4 Month round the world trip. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
2690 miles, Rainham Essex to Valencia airport, 1 hours rest at Claremont on the way down, Burger King and a wash at the airport then back to Witham Essex, drop off daughter and grandson and straight home to Rainham.

Left home at 1000 hrs Sat and back home 1400 hours Monday. 2ltr Mondeo, cost about £700, Chunnel, tolls & fuel.

Mind you, I was a spring chicken then, 59 at the time.

And yes, it was utter madness, and I was cream crackered for a fortnight afterwards

Hymie.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We clocked up 2,500 miles on our summer holiday last year over 3 weeks. The longest leg was the drive from Salon de Provence, France to Lake Como, Italy. That took around 7.5 hours, largely because I hadn't factored in the winding mountain roads in Italy.

Incidently I stop every 3 hours maximum to have a break, well that's what I aim for. It is usually much less than that, because daughter always wants to stop for a wee break. A handy little feature on TomTom sat navs, under safety, you can set a drive time limit, so after the preset time, you get a warning to have a break.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Who has done the longest drive
Discussion in 'Broken Link Removed' started by Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed.

For a minute there!... I thought I was on the Flag layers & Block Pavers Forum! ::bigsmile: :winky:

Then I thought ... Nawh! Gotta be golf!.. :smiley:. In which case I haven't a clue! :)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I'm sorry to be a party pooper but as someone who has been on the receiving end of such behavior and lost a loved one due to someone falling asleep at the wheel I cannot see why this is a topic for bragging over. There is a reason why professional drivers have tachographs and only allowed to drive for limited times.

I agree Pat, nobody should drive to the point of falling asleep at the wheel... or anywhere near that! I drove 2000 miles over 3 days with ample sleep time, I like driving and 10 hrs straight driving wouldn't phase me, some it would...

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I do remember driving from Rochdale to Aberdeen for a two hour meeting and then driving back, one thing is for sure I would not do it nowadays. I had no idea that Scotland was so long, I thought I was nearly there when I saw the signs for Gretna Green

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
2690 miles, Rainham Essex to Valencia airport, 1 hours rest at Claremont on the way down, Burger King and a wash at the airport then back to Witham Essex, drop off daughter and grandson and straight home to Rainham.

Left home at 1000 hrs Sat and back home 1400 hours Monday. 2ltr Mondeo, cost about £700, Chunnel, tolls & fuel.

Mind you, I was a spring chicken then, 59 at the time.

And yes, it was utter madness, and I was cream crackered for a fortnight afterwards

Hymie.

Ash cloud ?:)

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
The longest drive we did was from Kuwait to Sunderland and back in a Toyota Crown.
We had a foldout camper which we had to ab don in Bulgaria.
Stops on the way at dubious "hotels" mostly without mod cons was a relavation making one have a different outlook on life, needless this was before all the S--t we now have happened.
OHappy days

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not my furthest but the hardest by far.....

Scarborough to 10 miles north of Newton Stewart (near stranraer) ......230 miles IN THE SNOW !!!!!

Around 7 hrs each way With an overnight stop.

Reason....burst pipe in holiday cottage. :mad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Manchester-Baghdad 8000 mile round trip. Shortest ever journey time 18 days. Longest 8 weeks. Considering all the customs clearances and paperwork, tipping and reloading, backhanding officials, tankshines, filling belly tanks with black market fuel etc, that is pretty good going in a truck.
I did hear the legendary Andrew Wilson Young once did the round trip in 10 days, but it was never verified to my knowledge.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
1749m, artic, Bari to Anglesey, via Munich, one hit apart from tunnel. Had a kip while waiting for the ferry to Dublin - woke up 4 hours after the ferry sailed ...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Swedish lapland to London 1600 miles. :)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have had two long drives in my 48 years behind the wheel. In 1972 a friend of mine and I drove round the coast of England, Wales and Scotland to raise money for two local charities. We departed from Durham on the Thursday morning and arrived back on Sunday afternoon. Can't remember the exact total mileage but we raised over £4000 which then was a good amount. Two years ago we were on an Aire just south of Le Mans and had some bad news of a sudden death in the family. After breakfast about 8.45am we set off and were home in Durham at 10.30pm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back