Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Now here's a thought.

A few years ago mum bought ..I think it was a pace sky satellite recordable box but as she no longer uses sky the box is redundant. Could I use this instead of buying a receiver? @Gellyneck

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Dont know if its of any interest but theres a snipe on Gumtree with plate for £425. Probably be able to cut them down I guess . Its not a snipe 2 though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Bought my Snipe 2 at Norfolk Motorhome Show from S & G and came with mounting plate.

Ray

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Let us know how you get on with the order process. Interested on how it goes.(y)

Just to let you know my snipe 2 arrived today from Germany, great service considering I placed the order late on Tuesday evening (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just to let you know my snipe 2 arrived today from Germany, great service considering I placed the order late on Tuesday evening (y)
Excellent.(y) Will need to get my finger out and get sorted.

Daveled

Free Member
Feb 21, 2013
Wigan
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
10 year
Hi guys, just bought one from acdctv - came with mounting plate, very easy to set up and locks onto satellite in seconds, really pleased with it.
This weekends task is to mount it on the roof!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh, thanks Sandra.
Where did you hear that?
Any idea when?
Have you got yours working yet?

The people at Red Apple. No idea when it's due. They no longer sell the Snipe 2.

Mine is being fitted as I type this. Was put on roof yesterday. Today's job is finishing the wiring off. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The people at Red Apple. No idea when it's due. They no longer sell the Snipe 2.

Mine is being fitted as I type this. Was put on roof yesterday. Today's job is finishing the wiring off. :)
Ta. Will keep my eye on developments as we're away for a month or so next week (assuming I can get over the sodden grass and out onto the street!).
Guess the hole drilling went well. The weather over the last 24 hours will have given it a good test!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ta. Will keep my eye on developments as we're away for a month or so next week (assuming I can get over the sodden grass and out onto the street!).
Guess the hole drilling went well. The weather over the last 24 hours will have given it a good test!

Not raining in Sth Shields so I wouldn't know. Fingers crossed there is no leak. Will try the snipe out later tonight. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope she's paying the going rate @andy63 :rofl:
Paying the going rate LOL they will both be getting paid a minus.

So who actually has proof of the following actually happening.

The snipe was wired directly to the main battery so it always has power. This feature that others have spoke about just DID NOT happen.

I just took the van for a 30mph short run. Deliberately left the sat up to see if it would close by itself..Supposedly after 25K. Nope Sat still up and nothing changed on the controller. Still reads Sat found despite driving through the streets.

Why is this then? Over to you lot.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Paying the going rate LOL they will both be getting paid a minus.

So who actually has proof of the following actually happening.

The snipe was wired directly to the main battery so it always has power. This feature that others have spoke about just DID NOT happen.

I just took the van for a 30mph short run. Deliberately left the sat up to see if it would close by itself..Supposedly after 25K. Nope Sat still up and nothing changed on the controller. Still reads Sat found despite driving through the streets.

Why is this then? Over to you lot.

Looks like it may have to be powered via ignition according to this from Outdoor Bits -

Automatic satellite systems have circuitry and motors to automatically raise the dish to the correct elevation and then turn the dish around to point to the satellite automatically. Most automatic systems have an ignition feed so that if you forget your satellite system is in the raised position and start the engine to drive away then the dish will automatically fold down to prevent any damage being incurred.

But could be a load of guff as it's got nothing to do with 25kph!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Looks like it may have to be powered via ignition according to this from Outdoor Bits -

Automatic satellite systems have circuitry and motors to automatically raise the dish to the correct elevation and then turn the dish around to point to the satellite automatically. Most automatic systems have an ignition feed so that if you forget your satellite system is in the raised position and start the engine to drive away then the dish will automatically fold down to prevent any damage being incurred.

But could be a load of guff as it's got nothing to do with 25kph!
Hi grant... no I suspect that would be right in a lot of systems but the snipe 2 nas no facility to power a trigger to house the dish.. it's supposed to house automatically when the GPS senses the vehicle is travelling at 25km/hr or more..
It does mention that on page 9 of the downloaded instructions but certainly didn't do that today when Sandra tried it out... in every other way it appears to work fine...
Just need some one who has one to advise how or if that feature works on their's. ..
Andy.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Kinda thought that @andy63. Was just looking through all the bumph I pulled together when investigating possible purchase of Snipe unit.
Sandra mentioned a possible Snipe 3 coming along so might hang about waiting on that instead.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back