Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am thinking of buying a Snipe Sat receiver and before buying, I know some members have bought one, so thought I would ask the question.

Have you had it long? Are you happy with it?

Thank you for any help on this.:)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Billy23,

Yes, we have a Snipe, had it in use for the last year and very pleased with it. I understand the later models have an improved gear system.

As I understand it, if you have it installed by the supplier, they will remove it and take it back for repair, should it be needed. It comes in/with a substantial carry case.

If you purchase and install yourself, you are responsible for removing it and returning it to supplier for repair.

So far we have't had to remove it.

The automatic tuning is a treat, had to shift up the pitch at one site to find the sat. but that's no problem.

Another point, once tuned in you can switch off the tuner, not even taking standby supply.

We would recommend them.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
In getting a quote for a snipe2, I asked about roof mounting and was told they did not sell a kit for this as it was not recommended.
"nomadic" your view most welcome, and hopefully helpful to Billy23

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If you buy Snipe 2 which ships from Germany, such as via Red Apple Digital who are based in the UK, it comes complete with the roof mounting plate which is an extra cost option in the UK (well it did in our case for both Snipe & Snipe 2 models).

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi
we have had snipe 2 for a couple of years, firstly installed on the roof of our caravan, and now sits on the roof of our motor home, We originally purchased from Avtex. but i had no trouble buying a mounting kit from Red Apple when we moved it to the motor home... we have managed to get most channels as far down as Toulouse. great bit of kit, the snipe2 has autoskew

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Had our Snipe 2 fitted by Marquis Ipswich a few weeks ago, and it has been a great addition to our 'van. It came with the roof mounting plate, and was fitted in place of a Status aerial, thereby utilising the roof hole and power feed.......

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Had our Snipe 2 fitted by Marquis Ipswich a few weeks ago, and it has been a great addition to our 'van. It came with the roof mounting plate, and was fitted in place of a Status aerial, thereby utilising the roof hole and power feed.......
What happens when you are pitched up and do not have line of sight of the satellite, as you have now removed your status Ariel you have no TV. personally i would have kept the status as well :)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Lots of DVDs......! No, we did think about it, but as we mainly stay on C&MC sites with TV points and we have a 30m aerial cable and external aerial point on the 'van, decided against it, plus the fact that the 'van roof does not have much free area (solar panel)....... At the end of the day, if we can't watch tv, we'll have to read (or talk to each other..........:eek:)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What happens when you are pitched up and do not have line of sight of the satellite, as you have now removed your status Ariel you have no TV. personally i would have kept the status as well :)
Thats why I kept my status Ariel...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm still wanting one of these but it all seems so confusing. Buy here in UK and no base plate thrown in or buy from Germany .

Another Q. Can the snipe 2 work from inside a vehicle? I am not sure at this time if I want it fitted to the roof or not and wouldn't want to leave it outside incase it got nicked.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I had the German Megasat version which cost 1/2 the price including plate and shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odk...0.TRC0.H0.Xmegasat.TRS0&_nkw=megasat&_sacat=0

Had to return within 2 months to dealer in Germany (at dealers cost via DHL) for repairs. I sold it with the van.

Also had a mountain of trouble with Oystervision II 85cm. Had to go in the MH to OysterSatTech for repairs that cost the earth.

Best two systems I had/Have..........

Maxview CrankUp - Fitted By me, Could find a signal quicker than the OsyterVision

Current, Very Old Katherein System fitted to our Old Hymer. Super fast signal using the Second Hand Sat Finder from a nice Egg Chaser on here.

I really do not like Auto Systems.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Snipe will not work from inside vehicle, even through glass. They are very 'nickable' if left outside, but not so (much) if attached to the roof. I bought mine through Red Apple Digital, mounting plate included, but, even though it shipped from Germany, RAD being based in the U.K. ( as previously stated) should mean less hassle in the event of problems with the kit.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I'm still wanting one of these but it all seems so confusing. Buy here in UK and no base plate thrown in or buy from Germany .

Another Q. Can the snipe 2 work from inside a vehicle? I am not sure at this time if I want it fitted to the roof or not and wouldn't want to leave it outside incase it got nicked.
Buy it from Germany,no issues with warranty and cheaper Inc base plate .also much better on roof .but you can have it outside just chain it to mono. Had mine put on roof and am very pleased with both the snipe 2 and the ease of fitting. Roy

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Red apple provide a mounting plate in there price, my initial thoughts were to use as you suggest, however when it arrived it is small and compact but still a bit big to be fully portable and there is the security issue so decide to fix on the roof
Used my down to Bordeaux recently and worked faultlessly, very impressed so far

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We use one of these, which works really well...

http://www.avtex.co.uk/antenna/sth3000

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The reason I would like someone to confirm if it can work inside is because I am often away with Alan in his van. I would like just to have it portable so have the choice to move it around depending on which van we are taking.

I dont fancy leaving it chained outside. If its easy for thieves to steal bikes while chained to vans then it would be even easier to steal a snipe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had a Snipe of the last van and did have a couple of problems with but didn't stop me buying a Snipe 2 for the current van.
As they are about the ⅓ of the cost of an Oyster if it goes wrong in a few years I can afford to replace it and still be in pocket.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
We have a Snipe which I used to leave out on a small table and just lift in at night or going off site. You can leave all wires attached and shut the cab doors with no problem as cables are thin. We now have it fitted to roof over a year now and no problem.
I would never have left chained outside.
Ray

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The reason I would like someone to confirm if it can work inside is because I am often away with Alan in his van. I would like just to have it portable so have the choice to move it around depending on which van we are taking.

I dont fancy leaving it chained outside. If its easy for thieves to steal bikes while chained to vans then it would be even easier to steal a snipe.
Stop waffling and bite the bullet and fit it to the roof .the only bit that is fitted to the roof is the base plate so if you want to take it onto ano6hef motorehome just undo the screws holding it onto the base plate .

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

You can buy from here, i purchased mine from Avtex and then purchased the mounting kit from Red Apple, yes it cost more money, but i wanted peice of mind of dealing with a company like Avtex

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Buy it from Germany,no issues with warranty and cheaper Inc base plate .also much better on roof .but you can have it outside just chain it to mono. Had mine put on roof and am very pleased with both the snipe 2 and the ease of fitting. Roy
Not sure I agree Khizzie, if it needs to be returned you have arrange shipment of something weighing 20kg to Germany for the extra £30 I think it was (I used red apple) you only have to get it to them in the UK and you buying from a British company in the bargain

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
We have snipe 2 fitted on our van we recently purchased. Yeh brilliant how it works, however, we only seem to use 1,2,3,4 channels once found as we can't seem to get itemised menu? We get the list of itv 1 etc but it don't say what's on without going into each program which is pain in he backside
Have we got something wrong?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You can buy from here, i purchased mine from Avtex and then purchased the mounting kit from Red Apple, yes it cost more money, but i wanted peice of mind of dealing with a company like Avtex
A lot more money , but as you say it gives you peace of mind... for almost twice the price just to have the avtex label on doesn't sit easy with.me for a unit that's made in in Indonesia no matter who supplies it .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not sure I agree Khizzie, if it needs to be returned you have arrange shipment of something weighing 20kg to Germany for the extra £30 I think it was (I used red apple) you only have to get it to them in the UK and you buying from a British company in the bargain
Mine cost last year £ 456 so if it went wrong £30 to return it under warranty is not so bad as the German company say that they would reimburse the p&p ..mind you not had to test that yet.lol

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Got our Snipe 2 from Pulsat in the uk. Had a couple of teething problems which Roy of Pulsat was very supportive and a nice chap as well so would recommend them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have snipe 2 fitted on our van we recently purchased. Yeh brilliant how it works, however, we only seem to use 1,2,3,4 channels once found as we can't seem to get itemised menu? We get the list of itv 1 etc but it don't say what's on without going into each program which is pain in he backside
Have we got something wrong?
Nothing to do with the Snipe that is your satellite tuner, get a decent tuner like an Icecrypt and all will be fine

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I've got a German ebay sourced Snipe 2 and am pretty happy with it - especially the price. It does however occasionally get stuck while moving to home - requiring either a power cycle or push.

Also you do have the be careful about trees in campsites blocking the signal.

Tried initially putting it on the roof each time I used it - but it is fairly heavy and also took up a fair bit of storage space in the van - so would definitely recommend a permanent installation. We ended up installing it ourselves as the dealers or installers I tried were either too expensive or not keen on installing a dish that they hadn't supplied.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Mine cost last year £ 456 so if it went wrong £30 to return it under warranty is not so bad as the German company say that they would reimburse the p&p ..mind you not had to test that yet.lol
Do you have a link to the site? I can only see snipe 2 over £600 and I still dont know what LNB 1 or. 2 is.

I need to search through threads when I get time.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Do you have a link to the site? I can only see snipe 2 over £600 and I still dont know what LNB 1 or. 2 is.

I need to search through threads when I get time.
Bought mine from germanyGermany via ebay last year ,since then of course the €v£ has altered the price upwards .I will however have a search for you ..Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bought mine from germanyGermany via ebay last year ,since then of course the €v£ has altered the price upwards .I will however have a search for you ..Roy
Sorry have not found any for sale here or in Europe for under £635 for a single lnb.and that's on English eBay. They have sbot up in price.Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back