Who has a Snipe?

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Billy23, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Ratings:
    +3,168
    I am thinking of buying a Snipe Sat receiver and before buying, I know some members have bought one, so thought I would ask the question.

Have you had it long? Are you happy with it?

Thank you for any help on this.:)

2. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Billy23,

Yes, we have a Snipe, had it in use for the last year and very pleased with it. I understand the later models have an improved gear system.

As I understand it, if you have it installed by the supplier, they will remove it and take it back for repair, should it be needed. It comes in/with a substantial carry case.

If you purchase and install yourself, you are responsible for removing it and returning it to supplier for repair.

So far we have't had to remove it.

The automatic tuning is a treat, had to shift up the pitch at one site to find the sat. but that's no problem.

Another point, once tuned in you can switch off the tuner, not even taking standby supply.

We would recommend them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Quick Quick

Quick Quick Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    In getting a quote for a snipe2, I asked about roof mounting and was told they did not sell a kit for this as it was not recommended.
    "nomadic" your view most welcome, and hopefully helpful to Billy23

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Ratings:
    +3,827
    If you buy Snipe 2 which ships from Germany, such as via Red Apple Digital who are based in the UK, it comes complete with the roof mounting plate which is an extra cost option in the UK (well it did in our case for both Snipe & Snipe 2 models).

5. SP1

SP1 Funster

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi
    we have had snipe 2 for a couple of years, firstly installed on the roof of our caravan, and now sits on the roof of our motor home, We originally purchased from Avtex. but i had no trouble buying a mounting kit from Red Apple when we moved it to the motor home... we have managed to get most channels as far down as Toulouse. great bit of kit, the snipe2 has autoskew

6. AndyPK

AndyPK Funster

Ratings:
    +42
    Had our Snipe 2 fitted by Marquis Ipswich a few weeks ago, and it has been a great addition to our 'van. It came with the roof mounting plate, and was fitted in place of a Status aerial, thereby utilising the roof hole and power feed.......

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SP1

SP1 Funster

Ratings:
    +19
    What happens when you are pitched up and do not have line of sight of the satellite, as you have now removed your status Ariel you have no TV. personally i would have kept the status as well :)

8. AndyPK

AndyPK Funster

Ratings:
    +42
    Lots of DVDs......! No, we did think about it, but as we mainly stay on C&MC sites with TV points and we have a 30m aerial cable and external aerial point on the 'van, decided against it, plus the fact that the 'van roof does not have much free area (solar panel)....... At the end of the day, if we can't watch tv, we'll have to read (or talk to each other..........:eek:)

9. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Ratings:
    +7,039
    Thats why I kept my status Ariel...

10. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,844
    I'm still wanting one of these but it all seems so confusing. Buy here in UK and no base plate thrown in or buy from Germany .

Another Q. Can the snipe 2 work from inside a vehicle? I am not sure at this time if I want it fitted to the roof or not and wouldn't want to leave it outside incase it got nicked.

11. TeeMyob

TeeMyob Funster

Ratings:
    +1,166
    I had the German Megasat version which cost 1/2 the price including plate and shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odk...0.TRC0.H0.Xmegasat.TRS0&_nkw=megasat&_sacat=0

Had to return within 2 months to dealer in Germany (at dealers cost via DHL) for repairs. I sold it with the van.

Also had a mountain of trouble with Oystervision II 85cm. Had to go in the MH to OysterSatTech for repairs that cost the earth.

Best two systems I had/Have..........

Maxview CrankUp - Fitted By me, Could find a signal quicker than the OsyterVision

Current, Very Old Katherein System fitted to our Old Hymer. Super fast signal using the Second Hand Sat Finder from a nice Egg Chaser on here.

I really do not like Auto Systems.

12. AndyPK

AndyPK Funster

Ratings:
    +42
    Snipe will not work from inside vehicle, even through glass. They are very 'nickable' if left outside, but not so (much) if attached to the roof. I bought mine through Red Apple Digital, mounting plate included, but, even though it shipped from Germany, RAD being based in the U.K. ( as previously stated) should mean less hassle in the event of problems with the kit.

13. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Ratings:
    +7,039
    Buy it from Germany,no issues with warranty and cheaper Inc base plate .also much better on roof .but you can have it outside just chain it to mono. Had mine put on roof and am very pleased with both the snipe 2 and the ease of fitting. Roy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Ratings:
    +2,494
    Red apple provide a mounting plate in there price, my initial thoughts were to use as you suggest, however when it arrived it is small and compact but still a bit big to be fully portable and there is the security issue so decide to fix on the roof
    Used my down to Bordeaux recently and worked faultlessly, very impressed so far

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Ratings:
    +3,827
    We use one of these, which works really well...

http://www.avtex.co.uk/antenna/sth3000

16. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +18,844
    The reason I would like someone to confirm if it can work inside is because I am often away with Alan in his van. I would like just to have it portable so have the choice to move it around depending on which van we are taking.

I dont fancy leaving it chained outside. If its easy for thieves to steal bikes while chained to vans then it would be even easier to steal a snipe.

17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +13,012
    Had a Snipe of the last van and did have a couple of problems with but didn't stop me buying a Snipe 2 for the current van.
    As they are about the ⅓ of the cost of an Oyster if it goes wrong in a few years I can afford to replace it and still be in pocket.

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. Raybreck

Raybreck Funster

Ratings:
    +388
    We have a Snipe which I used to leave out on a small table and just lift in at night or going off site. You can leave all wires attached and shut the cab doors with no problem as cables are thin. We now have it fitted to roof over a year now and no problem.
    I would never have left chained outside.
    Ray

• Like it Like it x 1
  19. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Ratings:
    +7,039
    Stop waffling and bite the bullet and fit it to the roof .the only bit that is fitted to the roof is the base plate so if you want to take it onto ano6hef motorehome just undo the screws holding it onto the base plate .

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. SP1

SP1 Funster

Ratings:
    +19
    You can buy from here, i purchased mine from Avtex and then purchased the mounting kit from Red Apple, yes it cost more money, but i wanted peice of mind of dealing with a company like Avtex

• Like it Like it x 1