Who does the driving? (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Sam here likes to sit in our towed car, pretending to drive, as we go down the highway. He gets a lot of attention from folks passing or going the other way.

But Sam isn't allowed to drive the motorhome. My wife does 95% of the driving, while I navigate, surf the web, read and nap.

Chris also hooks up the car (under supervision) and is currently in training to do the hookups at campgrounds. All this supervision and training wears me out.

Who drives your motorhome? Do you split the driving on long trips?

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Wife driving that's an oxymoron...

:whatthe: Don't know why you'd say that, and I'd think some ladies might object

My wife has been driving for over xx years. In addition to driving the coach, she drives our boat 90% of the time. (The boat is a lot bigger than the coach). She was the inspiration for many ladies in our yacht club to take lessons from 3rd party trainers, and most of them drive the boats while the husbands do first mate duties.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Some lady drivers are quite proficient, just as some men drivers are not maniacs :ROFLMAO:

I do most of the driving, but I enjoy it more than Pat. She takes over when I start to wilt. It would probably be sensible to split it more evenly, but then I probably wouldn't get to chill out the same on arrival :winky:

John (I used to be a maniac then I took an advanced driving course - now I'm a safer maniac:roflmto:)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sam here likes to sit in our towed car, pretending to drive, as we go down the highway.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: That little trick would get you locked up here, then prosecuted by the social services for child endangerment, then by the police for dangourous driving
God we are such a nanny state
PS asuming Sam is a child:Doh:
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: That little trick would get you locked up here, then prosecuted by the social services for child endangerment, then by the police for dangourous driving
Geo

Didn't you see the thumbnail Geo? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Or do your specs need cleaning? :Doh: :roflmto:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Geo

I was thinking the same till I took a closer look at "Sam"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
I drive our motorhome, Glenn is much better at navigation and arguing with the tomtom :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He abdicated all driving to me when we got this van although he did take turns driving the previous 2.

He does fill up and emptying duties when on site and some of the cooking and washing up chores.

I know there are lots of ladies in this group who take a turn behind the wheel now and then.

Tina

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
He does fill up and emptying duties when on site and some of the cooking and washing up chores.

Sounds like Glenn needs retraining. After a day of navigating, I'm too tired to do the hookups. That's why my other half is learning how to get it done after she's switched off the engine.

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
It's OK, Sam's feet can't touch the pedals, but he does wear a seatbelt, so he's safe. Sam is an orphan, but he's always dressed respectably, groomed and manicured.

I can't believe the number of people who stop by our campsite and ask if they can take photos of Sam. We get a kick out of small kids coming up and asking "is that a real gorilla?"

Psst ... click the thumbnails.

Attachments

• driver ed.jpg
    driver ed.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 57
  • orphan.jpg
    orphan.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 56

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
He gave up on that training stuff many years ago, I often take the van away alone and so am fully capable of doing it all, but like most caring wives, we like our men to feel useful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL Tina, I'll be sure to make sure Chris doesn't read that.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo obviously wasn't paying attention ::bigsmile:
I clearly was paying attention, I just didn't know the age of Sam thats all:Blush:
anyone got the phone No for thr RSPCA:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Got to get me a Sam for the Sooty Van (Toad)
Geo
and yes I do have an answer for every thing

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I clearly was paying attention, I just didn't know the age of Sam thats all:Blush:
Geo

Don't waste money on a "Sam"......you sit in Sooty and let Pammy drive the RV :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Gonna hide now :Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Don't waste money on a "Sam"......you sit in Sooty and let Pammy drive the RV :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Gonna hide now :Blush:
Only if the A frame was made of chocolate and a Sharp application of Sooty's brake's would separate us:Eeek:
I would'nt even let Sam in with Pammy driving

C

Cricketdaddy

Deleted User
My wife does all the driving in our car for the very simple reason that she is critical of my driving and I keep my fool mouth shut when she's behind the wheel. The MH is a different issue. She's very nervous about driving the big rig but seems very happy and relaxed when I'm driving. Go figure.

Over the years, however, we have adopted a "help me, thank you" teamwork approach, which I think was recently addressed elsewhere on this forum. Simply stated, we've stopped being offended when one of us points out what should be obvious. "That truck is braking," for instance. We just say, "Got it. Thanks."

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Geo

Use your blow up doll, the one with the bright red lipstick would look good and attract much attention:ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I drive ALL the time. However. When we recently got the Konitiki. Sandy drove it from Brighton to Fawley, then from Fawley to Doncaster following me both times whilst I was driving the Dethleffs.
Didn't she do well? :winky:
BTW. She has driven the old Coachmen in Cruise while I nipped to the Bathroom.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirley cant drive, well only from the backseat,:roflmto: so i get to do it all but i love it. :thumb: it makes me feel all grown up and puts a stupid grin on me face.:ROFLMAO:

john.

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
She has driven the old Coachmen in Cruise while I nipped to the Bathroom.

Hope you stopped before changing drivers John :whatthe:

Some friends of ours used to be pro bowlers and they used to drive from one tournament to the next, criss-crossing the USA. When one needed a break or they just needed to switch drivers for the next leg of the journey, he'd put the coach on cruise and slid out of the driver's seat while his wife slid in.

They're no longer pro bowlers, thanks to an accident (one of them was run over by a car at a crossing) that left one of them partially disabled. They still do the slide-in/slide-out thing.

If we're going to change drivers, either because the driver needs a potty break or just needs a break from driving, we always find somewhere to stop. Life is short, but not so short we can't stop for a few minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back