Who do I believe (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We purchased a 2010 Bessacarr 560 last August with one year’s warranty, a few weeks ago i had a damp check done on it at a local caravan/motor home repairers (which i have never used before).

The report came back that i have a reading of 45% around a skylight and the floor is soft on the off side front corner and near side rear corner, they estimated £1,090 to fix it, So i contacted the dealer where we bought the van from they asked me to send a copy to them, They then asked me to bring the van to them so they could assess it them self, so i have taken the van back to them last Tuesday.

The workshop manager came to see me as they could not get any readings anywhere near the 45%, he took us out to the van and used the damp meter the highest reading he got was 12.9%, we then got under the van to inspect the flooring in the corners. It was solid not soft at all, the only thing i could see was a slight what looked like a water mark in the corner in the o/s/f. They sprayed the area flooring with a body under seal so i am not sure who to believe.

Thanks for reading i am interested in reading any thoughts that you funsters have.

Thanks kev

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think for peace of mind in this case I would either buy a damp meter or take it somewhere else for another test if you can afford it.

You need to know one way or another. It’s possible it’s drued out a little due to the warm weather.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated.

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
If as you say you witnessed the damp inspection and the floors being solid, i would say you have the answer to your question. It is unlikely a soft sodden floor will be solid a couple of weeks later.
However as @irnbru has advised it would be prudent to try and arrange a further inspection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Being slightly cynical, could it be that they exaggerated the claim to boost revenue.

Happened only this week that QuickFit Chippenham quoted one of my soldiers £1200 for the repairs he would require to his suspension and brakes. Being that we are Electro Mechanical Engineers, he declined and picked the car up. We drove it straight into our large workshop and removed all the wheels and there wasn't anything wrong with any of the braking system, nor the front suspension.

I'm not saying it's the same with the damp they've reported in question, but I'd definitely get another neutral opinion, or do as I do, and get your own meter and carry out regular checks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sounds like your local place either is trying it on or doesn't know how to inspect a MH properly, my money's on the former though!

There's a funster selling a damp meter on here somewhere (if it's still for sale) so might be worth getting it and doing your own check.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Most people haven't got a clue how to use or interpret the results of a damp meter test .
It could well have been condensation at the time of the initial test ?
Cheap damp meters are a waste of time I always bought Protimeter survey master . You also really need a hygrometer.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Just an idea..
Could the "Soft floor" be delamination ? it would be hard underneath.Had it on a c/van once.
Tea Bag

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if the people doing the damp check have done it right ......if you paid for it they should have given you a paper copy showing all the places they checked for damp/where the readings are taken and what the readings were.ie a small drawing od van with lots of percent markings on it,that way you have it in writing and can double check exactly where the damp readings are BTW I have a 120 quid damp meter and a £5 reduced one from Lidl or Aldi that gives the exact same reading within 1 percent so no need to spend mega bucks ;)

OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thank you for the replies,
I have now booked the van in for another damp test on the 21st of may at southwest motorhomes. I explained the situation to her, she did not want to see the report that i have as she wanted theirs to be total independent.
thank you for your advice i will keep you updated after the 21st
kevin

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 47
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Being slightly cynical, could it be that they exaggerated the claim to boost revenue.

Happened only this week that QuickFit Chippenham quoted one of my soldiers £1200 for the repairs he would require to his suspension and brakes. Being that we are Electro Mechanical Engineers, he declined and picked the car up. We drove it straight into our large workshop and removed all the wheels and there wasn't anything wrong with any of the braking system, nor the front suspension.

I'm not saying it's the same with the damp they've reported in question, but I'd definitely get another neutral opinion, or do as I do, and get your own meter and carry out regular checks.

Gosh that was a real surprise !!! Up-selling a real blight with these firms now :(

OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Not naming or blaming yet until i have the next damp test, i will wait to see the results of that one.
kevin

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you for the replies,
I have now booked the van in for another damp test on the 21st of may at southwest motorhomes. I explained the situation to her, she did not want to see the report that i have as she wanted theirs to be total independent.
thank you for your advice i will keep you updated after the 21st
kevin

I hope you get good news on the 21st.

I've had similar drawings for motorhome damp checks, but with all % readings recorded that are checked, not just the higher ones. That instruction is actually on your sheet, which the technician obviously couldn't be bothered to complete.

Any genuine reason why the job date in April is different to the January date against the technician's signature, or could that be further incompetence ?

OP
OP
Kamperkev
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi, just an update, had the damp check done At southwest motorhomes and the highest reading they could get was 16% that looks like i have a very small leak through a side locker door.

I have been looking at an Elddis 175 but am i coming out of the frying pan into the fire with Elddis

Thanks

Kevin

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not really the best times for damp checks was it
Ist test done April/early May, damp wet and windy
Last test done following the hottest driest may Bank Holls on record
you dont need to be an expert using a damp or any other meter,
Anyone can do comparison checks even a cheapo as terry suggested will be good enough to show up a leak following some rain
It doesn't really surprise me that the company responsible for any warranty found low reading
maybe they keep a dodgy meter :Eeek: -----as if they would:doh::whistle2:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Gosh that was a real surprise !!! Up-selling a real blight with these firms now :(
theres a diffence between up selling and fraudin the first case your offered something you might need or want in the second its something you neither need or want

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back