Who deserves to be Honoured in the News Years awards ? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Eamonn Holmes Ex. Sky News Reader , Darcey Bussell Ex. Ballet Dancer, Nick Clegg for 5 years as Deputy Prime Minister, I cannot believe it, those who dedicate their selves to Charities , serving the Communities unpaid etc. I can understand ,but News Casters , Dancers and Nick Clegg who all get/ were paid for the job they were doing I cannot understand ,there are probably exceptions to this such as Military who go beyond their Duty etc.
What do others think ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It depends on who gets nominated and if your friends know the system.

Anyone can nominate someone for an honour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The queens land agent at sandringham and the house manager there both got nominated, did she nominate them her self because who else would know them.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
@old-mo was nominated for services to comedy .................

...........but when I showed Maj the rest of his jokes she Black-Balled him.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think the whole system needs a close look at and no-one should get award for just doing their job. Before long we can guarantee it will be "Lord Clegg" on on ÂŁ300 a day for turning up, then going for a splendid taxpayer subsidised lunch. It makes me sick to my stomach that these mainly undeserving, lazy pompous twats are not thoroughly weeded out.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The queens land agent at sandringham and the house manager there both got nominated, did she nominate them her self because who else would know them.

Could have been someone they work with. someone who had visited, a politician, a civil servant, a supplier, a guest ...... even someone from the local community. That's the thing you never know who has nominated anyone.

Two people I know received honours and neither ever knew who had put their names forward.

I nominated someone and never heard anything except for confirmation the nomination had been received. No honour awarded but I suppose the person may have turned it down.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
when you look at a lot they are getting honours for doing what they did in their own interest , of power or money, particularly the political /civil service awards, and entertainment/media .
The put a few deserving ones in as camouflage !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The whole TOP Honours system is beyond belief now, it means nothing now, run a few races, sing, drum, be a complete failure, Maj waves a sword around, "Arise SIR Phoney"
Kiss my arse when I'm in power, when I'M stabbed in the back or spat the dummy and pack a big sad and leave, Hey man You de man! Forever looked after by the poor tax payer, my revenge on the bastards that voted me out, I make a LORD!

The only good thing about SIR Nick, is, tiz a big slap in the face for arch War Criminal and 45min warning liar Blair.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think the whole system needs a close look at and no-one should get award for just doing their job. Before long we can guarantee it will be "Lord Clegg" on on ÂŁ300 a day for turning up, then going for a splendid taxpayer subsidised lunch. It makes me sick to my stomach that these mainly undeserving, lazy pompous twats are not thoroughly weeded out.
Ha! Another person sitting on the fence.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think awards should be for people who are volunteers who make a difference for their local communities or charities, And, those who are in traditional low paid employment but where their work affects us all, such as the military, police, fire & rescue, RNLI, nurses, teachers etc. I would like to see awards go to politicians but only those who have been exceptional, those who actually make a difference rather that the predictable "everyone who's ever appeared on Question time" Far too many gongs go to entertainers, yes I'd like to see some honoured, but only the most successful celebrities after a lifetime of entertaining us and at the end of their careers.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I understand that Clegg was nominated by Teresa May, what's that all about, perhaps she thought he was in Last Of the Summer Wine :xrofl:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For this year I would have liked to have seen.
David Attenborough should get the top gong. His Blue Planet 2 appears to have finally woken people and the government up on plastics. Hopefully they will follow through.
This one is a bit controversial, but I think he has earned it. Nigel Farage. He has made the biggest impact on politics since Churchill and Thatcher. I don't recall any other politician who has changed the country so much.. yes he is a bit of a moron at times but has achieved what most people thought was impossible.

I am struggling to think of any well known names outside of those two who deserve an honour in this years list...

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
David Attenborough should get the top gong. His Blue Planet 2 appears to have finally woken people and the government up on plastics. Hopefully they will follow through.
This one is a bit controversial, but I think he has earned it. Nigel Farage. He has made the biggest impact on politics since Churchill and Thatcher. I don't recall any other politician who has changed the country so much.. yes he is a bit of a moron at times but has achieved what most people thought was impossible.

I am struggling to think of any well known names outside of those two who deserve an honour in this years list...
Gromett what politician is not a moron at some point or another :D2

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just thought of another one that deserves an honour.
Ariana Grande

She was amazing after the Terror attack. I have never heard any of her music but her visits to the hospitals and other work after the event was above and beyond.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think they should honour more grass roots sports coaches. You know the types who give up their time and their weekends to organise soccer and rugby matches for youngsters.

Far more deserving than some pompous , self serving career politician.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
David Attenborough should get the top gong. His Blue Planet 2 appears to have finally woken people and the government up on plastics. Hopefully they will follow through...
Narrated and presented by naturalist Sir David Attenborough

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I think they should honour more grass roots sports coaches. You know the types who give up their time and their weekends to organise soccer and rugby matches for youngsters.

Far more deserving than some pompous , self serving career politician.
I would say all people that do good for society,not self serving politicians.:xThumb:

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Just took a look at the list, couple of questions:-

Who the f%*k is Wiley?
Marc Almond an OBE for Arts and Culture ?????????
and finally
Ringo Starr for his contributions to music and a couple of charities......

The charities bit, maybe but.......

MUSIC?:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
These are establishment awards. No one outside the establishment would ever call Nick Clegg Sir or Andrew Adonis Lord would they?

Just ignore it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back