Who converts new Ford Transits or Merc Spinters into camper vans ? (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Several constructors build coachbuilt both A and C class... but who uses them for camper vans.. aka PVCs.

As far as I can find out All the 'big name's' use Sevel.. the only ones converting transits or Mercs are small independents using second hand vans..

These all use Sevel vans.

Pilote.. Foxy
Globecar aka . Possl
Hymer.. the New Hymercar
Murvi.
Timberland
Swift.. Autocruise
WildAx
IH

all good makes with excellent reputations..

I'm not saying there is anything inherently wrong with the new Ducato, and I fully understand why they are the 'van of choice' for converting.. but I just have this niggle.. If I spend up to £50k on a PVC .. do I want a Ducato ? Do I have a choice.. ?

Any suggestions for a PCV on a NEW Ford or Merc ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Autosleeper on Mercs - new for 2015: Broken Link Removed

Whilst Chausson only offer their van conversions on a Fiat, with their coachbuilts you do get a choice of Ford or Fiat.

http://www.motorhomes-chausson.co.uk/gamme/lowprofile/

Rimor do their Horus van on a Renault: Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the replies suggestions.. not looking for a A or C class coach built.. just PVCs

.. there are a couple suggested that I hadn't seen..

Within my budget of > £50k , it still looks like a Sevel base is the best option.. the front runner at present is Globecar / Possl .. Also like the look of the Pilote Foxy and the new Hymercars .... all are Sevel vans .. won't be buying unti next Spring.. so plenty of time to decide..

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to stick to a UK built one, have a look at the Autocruise Accent, half dinette at front, washroom/kitchen & wardrobe opposite each other in the middle and rear lounge which you can leave as a fixed bed which is what we do. As it has a rear lounge you get extras such as spot lights at either side and a side window too so it's not so gloomy as some permanent fixed bed models.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Have looked at both and agree they are good, but neither do our preferred layout .. a rear transverse fixed bed .. IH are also a bit on the pricey side..
One of the things that makes Globrcar/Possl stand out in that layout is the height of the bed. There is more room underneath it than any of the competitors but the bed isn't so high as to be claustrophobic, as some of the over-cab ones are.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have looked at many layouts and builds this past year, but we always come back to the Globecar.. it ticks all our boxes.

My only doubt was it was a Fiat .. but I'm getting used to that idea. A lot of my apprehension was based on the reported problems they had with gear boxes and reverse shudder, watergate etc.. which apparently has been sorted.. and it's used by all the big manufacturers now..

posted before but worth a watch.. how they build and road test a Globecar

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Globecar would be our first choice in a van conversion (bit too small for 3 so went for coachbuilt) as quality of fit & finish are excellent. Used to do these on a choice of chassis - might be worth checking? NEC show next month (keep plugging it as best place to see biggest choice) is ideal to see all the makes & models & will inform your choice even if not buying there new. Except for the very expensive makes you can climb all over them & really see what would suit you :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Globecar would be our first choice in a van conversion (bit too small for 3 so went for coachbuilt) as quality of fit & finish are excellent. Used to do these on a choice of chassis - might be worth checking? NEC show next month (keep plugging it as best place to see biggest choice) is ideal to see all the makes & models & will inform your choice even if not buying there new. Except for the very expensive makes you can climb all over them & really see what would suit you :)

we will be three for a couple of more years, Charlotte will be 15 next year.. so yes, it is a bit tight, was thinking on the Family L model .. it will also have to be our daily transport.. so a coachbuilt is not really viable.. and I can't afford, or rather don't want the expense of keeping two vehicles on the road..

We also want a van that can go anywhere, park up easily, explore that unknown track not even on the map that may go to the beach.. have had big motorhomes and know the restrictions and limitations of them all.

all is compromise.. there is no 'perfect' van

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the rear wheel drive renault are nice . used to be called the mascot but i think its just rear wheel drive master now . had a good payload as well.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Devon Conversions also build on Renault and their quality and value for money is very good, shame about their attitude at the factory.

Forgot all about Devon.. one of the old companies.. back in the early 80s I had a Devon conversion VW

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i still think you really need a self build . you know just what you want .
i think i do as well. closest used to be the devon sahara i think it was called .
it was based on the ldv convoy but you need it on the renault rear wheel drive .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but high bed over garage store .dont think you want rear lounge bed making .
have you thought about chassis cab and a box?
theres some cheap mitsubishi ch n cabs on ebay .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
but high bed over garage store .dont think you want rear lounge bed making .
have you thought about chassis cab and a box?
theres some cheap mitsubishi ch n cabs on ebay .

I've looked at lots and lots of options and had lots of ideas.. but much as I would love to, I don't have the facilities to convert a van Alan.. . no workshop or even a space on the drive..

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Have one now and wanted a new one so visited their factory showroom but was met with complete lethargy and indifference, must have been having an off day (them not us) but on the good side the cheque book didn't get hammered. We like the Globecar as well but really don't like front wheel drive. The new Transit is supposed to be wider but don't know yet if it is wide enough for a transvers bed (our preferred layout)
and available with rear wheel drive so Nu Venture may be able to do it for us.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just think for 50g . a chassis cab n box could be kitted out very nicely . probably with change .
so when do you want it . i know someone that as space etc and wouldnt mind helping next spring /summer .

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
we will be three for a couple of more years, Charlotte will be 15 next year.. so yes, it is a bit tight, was thinking on the Family L model .. it will also have to be our daily transport.. so a coachbuilt is not really viable.. and I can't afford, or rather don't want the expense of keeping two vehicles on the road..

We also want a van that can go anywhere, park up easily, explore that unknown track not even on the map that may go to the beach.. have had big motorhomes and know the restrictions and limitations of them all.

all is compromise.. there is no 'perfect' van
You will have already considered the compromises inherent in a transverse bed in a PVC - you have to clamber over each other (fun when you are 25, less so if 45+) & they are a bit short if you are over 6ft. But it does mean that you can get a sub-6m van.

The other possible drawback of the Sevel range is that its front wheel drive configuration isn't ideal if you want to follow that track to the beach. They are notorious for losing traction once off tarmac.

I've now done 5000 miles in our Globecar Campscout (over 6m sadly, but I'm tall & OH has very restricted mobility) & I love it. We too use it as daily transport, but as we live in town & I mostly work at home, it's not really daily at all. But I am very careful where I put the driving wheels. It loses traction much more easily than my also front wheel drive VW T4 did.

The Fiat vans may not be the best mechanically, but I think all the old problems are now behind them. That's not to say there might not be a new set to replace them!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
i still think you really need a self build . you know just what you want .
i think i do as well. closest used to be the devon sahara i think it was called .
it was based on the ldv convoy but you need it on the renault rear wheel drive .

Ours is a Devon Sahara (very nearly our ideal layout) but the new version is a Fiat and the very similar Devon Monte-Carlo on the Renault is also front wheel drive.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes but i think renault are still doing a rwd . as well.
my mate built a similar conversion to the sahara on an ldv but high bed at rear.
they may do a special one off for him .

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Have you thought about the Lunar Landstar?, not t/r/bed but very nice!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back