Who Carrys a Spare Wheel? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
After picking up our new PVC on Monday, after downsizing from a coachbuild, we are now looking at space a bit more closely!
So, the van comes with a spare wheel, and the quite large case which holds the sissor Jack and socket etc, have been placed under the passenger seat out of the way.
Now, that space under the seat would make a largish storage area for more relevant stuff. So, am thinking about removing the Jack and leaving it at home.
My thinking is:-
1. If ever we get a puncture/blow out, would I really want to be changing a wheel on the roadside?
2. As we have full RAC cover, would probable call them out anyway, and they have much better jacks than a sissor Jack.
3. That frees up a bit more storage space under the front seat.

So, what do other people do?
Is it a foolish idea to leave the Jack at hone?
Thanks.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The only time I have had a blow out on the van the AA guy turned up but didn't have a big enough jack to lift the van so needed ours. It might be a bit of a risk to leave the jack at home.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If you don't carry a spare wheel or just a tyre, in the event of catastrophic tyre failure calling out the R.A.C. to change said tyre won't be of any use as you'll have nothing to replace the failed tyre with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also check the wording on your breakdown policy. If the van was supplied with a spare and you don't have it no matter what the reason the breakdown service may refuse to attend. Ask @andy63 about that. This clause may or may not include you having the jack - again you would need to check.

Our van was supplied without spare wheel but we carry a spare tyre (no wheel). Hope we will never need to use it. I could not change the wheel on the van (I struggled when trying to change the wheel on the car - and that was just to see if I could) so it would be breakdown service for me no matter where we were.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Spare wheel and bottle jack always. Always a chance we end up in the back of beyond so would rather feel we can cope. Would call breakdown if on motorway though.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have a spare wheel in our Autotrail. Its kept in a compartmental rear underneath the van. In the event a puncture I would use the AA to swap it over.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
See if you can release a nut on a wheel. You may find that they're on so tight that there's inadequate leverage with the supplied tools. In that case the jack becomes irrelevant.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We have a spare wheel in our Autotrail. Its kept in a compartmental rear underneath the van. In the event a puncture I would use the AA to swap it over.

Have you ever checked it Sandra? When we had the Hymer (many years ago) our spare was in a cage under the van. When I checked the cage (before the first MOT we had done) it contained the wrong size wheel and it had probably been like that for a long time!!!!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I think its ridiculous not to have a spare wheel, the last time I needed a new tyre it took three days and a lot of phoning around to get the one I wanted to match the other tyres.This was here in UK .( If anybody is after a Ducato 5 hole steel wheel and Michelin Tyre 215/70/15 R Camping unused (y)I just happen to have one for sale )

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you ever checked it Sandra?

TBH Helen I haven't had it out. I use the compartment for odds n sods that we rarely use. It looks new, probably been there since made. Tyres will be getting replaced soon so will possibly replace it too, not sure yet.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
All Thea's who have a spare tire culd be very disappointed when the RAC man turns up an says can't do that I don't have a tire changing machine in my van
It's not the changing the tire that's the problem it's braking the bead
That's the problem
I run a Mobil mecanick business and I do have a tire machen in my work shop
Did have a fully kitted out thire van but sold that part of the business on
I have had several call me to Chang a tire when I turned up it was just a the that had
Not a problem as I have a sliding hamer bead braker
But in sum cases the rim is how can I put it f:swear2: and could do nothing to help them
Exept call a very expensive recucery truck
And if you are suppled with a spare and get a puncture and don't have a servicibil spare it's a varry expensive recucery
And you ant cuverd by braking down recuvery I know it happens to me two punctures in one day

Bill

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
First thought, as I've said before, I would never use scissor jack in any circumstances. Tight wheel nuts are covered by rougher comment, so true. If van fitted with alloys and spare is steel you almost certainly need different wheel bolts. Check pressures regularly, I carry a small Ring compressor that inflates to 100psi (Amazon) . 1st sign of a leak top it up and visit tyre dealer asap. Doesn't prevent all blow outs but a significant proportion of blow outs caused by failure to spot and deal with slow leaks. Tyre pressure monitors are good.
Personally I can't even lift our spare so it sits in the garage. More and more vehicles come without a spare and breakdown services cope. Speak to them if you have doubts.

Last edited:

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
our 2017 Globecar Ducato PVC has 16" alloys and a steel spare. It came with the plastic tool / jack box that is meant to fit under the passenger seat, however on the PVC, the electroblock is under there, so there is nowhere to carry the box.
Mrs McG made a fabric padded tool roll to hold the jack and tools which takes up a fraction of the space of the plastic box and the tool roll fits inside out gas locker - so we carry all the tools, jack and spare wheel.

I checked and we don't need different wheel bolts for the steel spare

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I had a punture last week. Phoned Safegared, arranged for tyre change. Arrived in an hour. Spare changed within 10 min. with a trolly jack. Excellent service.
Phoned Kwik Fit for a new tyre. Did not have the facility to lift a 4.5 ton van.:(

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Same as me, my new to me van comes with the can, so I took out the spare from my part ex. I'm with the AA to, they will enjoy changing the wheel when it's pouring down. ;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Carry only a complete spare wheel and tyre. When needed, it took both me and the RAC man to get it out of the locker 245/70R/19.5 wheels are bloody heavy. So I could not do it myself and they have to bring the jack. :)

But as I have told it before, he never had any torque wrench, let alone one capable of 644NM, but fortunately I did. But afterwards the fight started between me and head office. :mad:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ask @andy63 about that.

Yes Helen that happened to me a while ago..
I've got my breakdown through the insurance with the c&cc.
Got a flat and when I went to get the spare found it had been nicked... the bottom line was they refused to attend then said as an act of good will they would recover me home...
Wasn't far from home and asked them would they be so keen to recover me from the north of Scotland or Cornwall for what was a flat tyre...
Anyways I told them to shove it and sorted out a mobile tyre fitter who replaced the valve for ÂŁ30..
Took it up with them when I got home and got ÂŁ50 compensation but no apology or reassurance that it wouldn't happen again..
That's a international breakdown company and they couldn't get me on my way and deal with a flat tyre... disgusting I thought..
Andy..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Fiat PVC has the spare wheel carried underneath. The mechanism was factory fitted and it surprises me there are PVCs without one. :unsure: Perhaps the converter has used the space for something?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WE have a spare (full size steel rim) and jack even though I cannot physically change one but I may need the jack for another reason and the recovery service will always change a tyre for a disabled driver so we can replace the spare at a tyre shop within the next day

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
I
I'd be inclined to carry the wheel and the jack, I've had an incident before where I was camping in the north of Scotland and no phone signal and miles away from the nearest house never mind a garage etc
exactly, I carry scissors/ trolley jack and a rectangular piece of wood for base ( soft ground ) and an old piece of carpet to lower spare on and drag out from underneath , it will be a sad day when I couldn't be able to change a flat tyre . Mind you the last flat I had on my transit I forgot how heavy those wheels are !

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
All Thea's who have a spare tire culd be very disappointed when the RAC man turns up an says can't do that I don't have a tire changing machine in my van
It's not the changing the tire that's the problem it's braking the bead
That's the problem
I run a Mobil mecanick business and I do have a tire machen in my work shop
Did have a fully kitted out thire van but sold that part of the business on
I have had several call me to Chang a tire when I turned up it was just a the that had
Not a problem as I have a sliding hamer bead braker
But in sum cases the rim is how can I put it f:swear2: and could do nothing to help them
Exept call a very expensive recucery truck
And if you are suppled with a spare and get a puncture and don't have a servicibil spare it's a varry expensive recucery
And you ant cuverd by braking down recuvery I know it happens to me two punctures in one day

Bill
It's crazy in my mind to just carry just a tyre, if an existing hub is damaged in any way during a blow out or accident you are back at square one, minus carrying around a useless spare tyre. Getting a replacement hub in Europe?....good luck with that !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think any of our vehicles have a spare. I know the MH certainly doesn't.

Not sure about the cars but as far as I'm aware they all just have the compressor/repair kit thing.

Never worried about it so far so don't see any reason to start now.

I agree with Bill about carrying just a tyre. Seems utterly pointless unless you can be guaranteed that the AA/RAC/ADAC/whoever man will have the correct kit to change a tyre on his van which he almost certainly won't.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
See if you can release a nut on a wheel. You may find that they're on so tight that there's inadequate leverage with the supplied tools. In that case the jack becomes irrelevant.
Not irrelevant if you carry an extending breaker bar with the correct socket. It is dual purpose as acts as a suitable self defence implement kept close to me!(y)
Cheers
Bernie

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I agree with Bill about carrying just a tyre. Seems utterly pointless unless you can be guaranteed that the AA/RAC/ADAC/whoever man will have the correct kit to change a tyre on his van which he almost certainly won't.

I checked with my break down service (they send a local garage or mobile tyre fitter out). They said that if we informed them they would ensure the correct kit is sent out. I know if the rim is damaged I'm stuck (but no worse than had I not carried a tyre as there was no spare supplied with the van). As we haven't been across the channel in the van and no real prospect of going anytime soon the lack of being able to get a replacement hub is foreign parts doesn't concern me.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Lost count of the amount of vehicles I have seen in last 2 days , all types, parked at side of road for lack of a spare wheel.

Reactions: DBK

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Getting a replacement hub in Europe?....good luck with that !

Given that the very popular Sevel built Moho base vehicle clones ( Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen ) are built in Italy and the fact that there must be hundreds of thousands of them being driven around Europe I can't see accessing a wheel rim being a problem.

No doubt the same would be true for a Ford Transit base.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Given that the very popular Sevel built Moho base vehicle clones ( Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen ) are built in Italy and the fact that there must be hundreds of thousands of them being driven around Europe I can't see accessing a wheel rim being a problem.

No doubt the same would be true for a Ford Transit base.
Really......so you are on the side of the road with a damaged wheel hub so no spare tyre is going on that. You are then a hostage to fortune as to a whether:
1. your assistance company can get your moho onto a trailer with a broken wheel (if you don't have breakdown cover you are super stuffed)
2. Where is your moho going to be stored whilst the new hub is sourced
3. Where are you going whilst the moho is waiting for its new hub.
4. How much is a new hub going to cost you? As you are desperate, going nowhere and in some need of a new hub, how much tourist tax is going to be added ??
5. How is your tyre going to be put on the new hub day(S) later ???
6. For the lack of a wheel hub you are eating into your precious holiday time and stress levels are peaking!

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Really......so you are on the side of the road with a damaged wheel hub so no spare tyre is going on that. You are then a hostage to fortune as to a whether:
1. your assistance company can get your moho onto a trailer with a broken wheel
2. Where is your moho going to be stored whilst the new hub is sourced
3. Where are you going whilst the moho is waiting for its new hub.
4. How much is a new hub going to cost you? As you are desperate, going nowhere and in some need of a new hub, how much tourist tax is going to be added ??
5. How is your tyre going to be put on the new hub day(S) later ???

None of this would apply to us as we carry a spare wheel with tyre on all our vehicles but to suggest that accessing a spare rim would need luck just can't be true in Europe or the U.K.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back