Who can tell me about Belgium? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hey ho

We shall be toddling off to Belgium in August, where I am riding a cyclo-sportive in Genk.

Planning on ferry there and back Dover - Dunkirk.

The ride is on the saturday, and we're thinking of taking a couple of days touring to return back to Blighty on the thursday.

This will be our first trip outside the UK in the MH.

So, any advice for travelling, and also where is good to stay? what is good to see?

Antwerp and Bruge look like possible destinations on the way back to the port - what's there to see?

Many thank yous

Jamie.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As said by Obama ..

" what's not to like about a country famous for chocolate and beer.."

also dirt cheap baccy and fags ..

but since I quit smoking, don't drink and am on a diet.. nothing for me :Sad:

In my experience .. the roads, full of potholes.. not just side roads. either.. so you should feel right at home :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well Jim said it all, beautiful countryside though. However even the motorways are full of potholes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
they speak Flemish we love the country beater than any other in Europe
Iper is our city of choice only a few hrs. at most Frome the ferry's Bruge and Antwerp are lovely to especially the market's
I love the people and every thing abut the country including the pot holes :ROFLMAO:
hoping to return some time soon for a week brake :thumb:
to our normal spot in Iper
chocolate beer grate pubs restraint's meting old friends cant weight
bill

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Bruge is beautiful but astronomically expensive everywhere, tourists out weigh locals 4:1 but brilliant on a bike. but is rip off city for tourists.
Stayed at campsite memling, 10 mins max along cycle paths into centre and immaculatley clean, - no satelite reception for tv as too many trees
you only need one day for Bruges but I believe there is a great cycle route to next town ? Dammne
There is also an aire which is equi- distant to city centre as well

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We stayed in Blankenburg on our way back to Dunkirk from Switzerland. Link Removed, an ACSI site but you won't get the cheap rates in August. 15 minute walk to the busy seaside town centre with a great beach and plenty of places to eat. Another 15 minutes and about 6€ on the train into Bruges.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Stayed in De Haan quite a few years ago. It was a gorgeous Belle Epoque town. Einstein lived there for a few months after leaving Nazi Germany but the house he lived in is not open to the public.

The beach is fabulous and there is a tram that runs up and down the coast.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We tried to park up in De Haan - two motorhomes in March this year - it's all permit parking or the Pay & Display you had to pay for half a day, at c €10 or something equally ridiculous, So we never got to look at the place!

Might have been quite nice.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Go easy on the brakes otherwise you could finish up skidding into Holland.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We tried to park up in De Haan - two motorhomes in March this year - it's all permit parking or the Pay & Display you had to pay for half a day, at c €10 or something equally ridiculous, So we never got to look at the place!

Might have been quite nice.

That's a shame. They guard the town against development as a lot of the coast is pretty dire with unsuitable development. My DH reminded me that we parked in the supermarket carpark (not sure if it's still there), did our shopping and then walked around. We then moved to the Sunparks and the kids had a few hours inside. The chocolate shop was uuummmmm with free samples and not as dear as many of the others.

We also stayed up near the Netherlands Border at Mol (again so the kids could use the Sunparks) but I didn't like that as much...... the weather wasn't very good so that probably influenced things.

Belgium is expensive compared to France and The Netherlands. Generally we stocked up with groceries at Auchan in Dunkirk before crossing the border but it's many years since we were in Belgium.

Last edited:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
I think you've all pretty much summed Belgium up, a very under-rated country in my humble opinion......

But.......

You have all left out one incredibly important fact!

The Belgiums make some of the very best beers in the entire World! A huge variety of flavours, types and strengths, there truly is a beer for every taste in this country and each beer has it's own special glass too! :thumb:

Oh yes, the food in Belgium is good too, everything from modules et frites, (with mayonnaise of course), to full on gourmet fayre. In fact, the Brlgiums boast that anything the French do, the Belgians do better :thumb:

Just one other fact; it has been known to rain in the Ardennes, don't ask me how I know! lol

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hmmm. If this keeps up, Belgium will become better-known and I'll have to stop going there! I've been every year for some time now, and think it's hugely under-rated. Prefer the Flandrian side to the Fench-speaking area, but the scenery in the latter is excellent. If, like me, you're fond of bikes and beer there is no better destination than flanders. Of the ciues, my favourite now is Antwerp. It's a real place, as opposed to the somewhat chintzy feel of Bruges, and there are just as many excellent bars to discover. Stay at the motorhome parking by the Expo and get a tram in to the centre.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Everything you need to know about Belgium. Probably

Nice country
Nice people
Roads more potholed than a teenagers chin. You can tell when the Autoroute passes from France into Belgium by the state of the surface !
Cracking chocolate and beer
Brugee is great
Brussels is disappointing.
The Manneken Pis is one of lifes' "is that it" moments. But, is just round the corner from the main square which contains a chocolate museum. So not all lost
They put mayonnaise on their chips. That's just plain wrong!

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Without prejudice

When we go into Belgium the first thing we do is look for the exit sign. Mega expensive dull people with no sense of humour. :Eeek:

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Thanks to (most of :ROFLMAO:) you all for your advices ::bigsmile:

We are very excited about our trip Belgique. :wooo::wooo::wooo:

Memling campsite looks perfect; De Haan sounds lovely too. We have also ordered All the Aires - Belgium edition.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to (most of :ROFLMAO:) you all for your advices ::bigsmile:

We are very excited about our trip Belgique. :wooo::wooo::wooo:

Memling campsite looks perfect; De Haan sounds lovely too. We have also ordered All the Aires - Belgium edition.

Stayed at Memling - only 6amp electric hook up so beware, we kept tripping circuit breaker and had to keep getting warden to reset!

Good location but we preferred the Aire, in our opinion much nicer access to city centre - same 6amp electric supply though!

Worth taking your bikes along the canal to Damme which is a nice gentle ride.

Enjoy,

Rob & Lee

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
OK, so the ferry is booked. Got the Aires book for Belgium.

(all we need now is the MH back from the garage, and with a working gearbox.. :cry: . Plenty of time yet..)

Next question: what bits do we require to travel in Belgium? Do I need one of those stripey boards for the bike rack? And what about rules about hi-vizzes, breath testers etc etc etc

I already have some stick on beam adjusters for the headlights.

Thanks again.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Don't overlook Ghent/Gent, lovely city and less touristy than Bruge.

Don't need breathalysers, but wise to take them although not fine-able, hi vis jackets needed as you still have to travel through France.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
+1 for Gent, we prefer it to Bruges as its very similar but without the same level of tourists. There is a good campsite at the Sports Centre or you can park overnight at no cost alongside the rowing course which is outside the sports centre and about 10/15 mins cycle into town.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
+1 for Gent, we prefer it to Bruges as its very similar but without the same level of tourists. There is a good campsite at the Sports Centre or you can park overnight at no cost alongside the rowing course which is outside the sports centre and about 10/15 mins cycle into town.

I think it is called Blaarmeersen or something close. Lovely campsite. ::bigsmile:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Been to Belgium loads both on business and due to son working in Brussels for a year two.
Great place beer to sample and enjoy and superb food everywhere. Just avoid the McD and other chains and the real tourist places on the main squares. Even a simple bar will have a menu made on site with the pride of the owner showing through.
Enjoy the experience and talk to the locals,most of whom have some English.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back