Who builds the BEST quality Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I know every make has niggles and stuff that has to be sorted out by the first owner. And they all use a lot of generic parts. Thule. Truma. Aldi. Sargent etc etc.

But can anyone say after a few vans which converter goes the extra mile that warrants the cost in the final finish and overall strength of components. The number of loose screws in my 2015 Swift was unreal and all it took to fix most was a tiny dot of wood glue or the likes to have them solid and secure.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
, end of šŸ˜.
You can't beat a Burstner -----
how may more times :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

I looked at an Elddis at Browmhills early this year. Pretty much the same layout but Ā£12000 cheaper.
It soon became obvious why I had paid the extra.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have spent a few grand repairing or replacing various things on our rapido. All of which are add ons or accessories, and not down to rapido. The build quality is very solid and still looks great at 9 years old, despite heavy use and the abuse it gets with long term camping in it.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So I know every make has niggles and stuff that has to be sorted out by the first owner. And they all use a lot of generic parts. Thule. Truma. Aldi. Sargent etc etc.

But can anyone say after a few vans which converter goes the extra mile that warrants the cost in the final finish and overall strength of components. The number of loose screws in my 2015 Swift was unreal and all it took to fix most was a tiny dot of wood glue or the likes to have them solid and secure.

You do not state your budget.

You could consider Morelo, Concorde, Phoenix if you are in the ā‚¬250k - ā‚¬500K range, plus extras.

A friend has just bought one and I could, but may not.

You did ask.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
looked at an Elddis at Browmhills early this year. Pretty much the same layout but Ā£12000 cheaper.
It soon became obvious why I had paid the extra.
Elddis are ok if you're good at DIY :giggler:

They buy the van and start if off, and the owner finishes it, ours was about 10k cheaper though šŸ˜³ so for 10 hours work I earned about Ā£1000 an hour šŸ˜šŸ‘

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
You do not state your budget.

You could consider Morelo, Concorde, Phoenix if you are in the ā‚¬250k - ā‚¬500K range, plus extras.

A friend has just bought one and I could, but may not.

You did ask.

Geoff
Its not a case of budget now. my 2015 was a year old and I paid Ā£40k for it. I then built a camper van for Ā£13k last year for single night stop over stuff walking/cycling etc. Just paid Ā£30k for a 2009 Bessacarr and spending Ā£6k on modernising it. Thats for 2-3 night trips away every other week on days off (collecting it Friday)

The post It a curious thing for when I buy "the dream" one in maybe 4-5 years time. I plan to go part time at work and travel a lot. Option with work at the moment part time is 6 days on 12 days off. I want something I can essentially full time in and then come home for work and general repairs. Its going to spend a lot of time lived in so needs to take punishment. Be it a Ā£40k motorhome or even stretch to Ā£100k is irrelevant. Just needs to be fit for the purpose I desire at that time in my life. And not fall apart. I cant see me ever spending more than Ā£70k personally though even if I can afford it at the time.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I used to think it was Adria, now I think itā€™s CarthagošŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Although months ago I wrote I went in a new Carthago C-tourer A Class and I thought it wasnā€™t as well put together as my (then) 63 plate Sonic!
I now have a 16 vintage Carthago Chic C-line, which Iā€™m very happy with:Grin:

Upvote 0

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A relative had a newish Hymer, the toilet fell through the floor. I met a Dutch N&B owner taking his van back for the fifth time and a Concorde owner who had his windscreen fall out twice.
Most people will say their van is the best you can get but truth is you get a wrong in you get a wrong un.
Go for the layout and what suits you best because someone else will always think they have better or know better whatever your budget.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Weā€™ve experienced 4 brands, British and Europen

Swift Bessecarr
Carthago Chic
Niesman Bichoff - Arto
Morelo Palace

Generally speaking the more weā€™ve spent, the better the build quality and material quality. With one exception. The N&B which promised much and delivered little.

Weā€™ve had a few niggles with the Morelo, but of all the brands weā€™ve owned itā€™s the only one Iā€™d buy again. Having lived full time in the Morelo for 7 months, itā€™s been a brilliant van and we love it to bits.

Furthermore, having bought from British and Getting dealers, Iā€™d never buy from a German dealer again.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Very very happy with Rapido build quality but they are heavy so A classes don't really work at 3500kg from a payload perspective!

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Everyone is a biased I suppose. Our carado doesnt set the world on fire but in 3 years nor a single fault. Nothing. Everything is screwed together very very well. Not a single rattle on the road.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why? Genuine question

Three things:

Language barrier

Culture - They hate admitting their mistakes and have a ā€˜so whatā€™ attitude to customer service.

Distance to get stuff fixed. We ended up leaving our van with the dealer on a number of occasions and flew back to the uk which was very inconvenient.
When we drove there (Dortmund) it was a 5 hour drive from Calais (each way) so a multi day trip. Which again was time consuming and expensive

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
N&B but pre 2008. The post- financial crash ones just arent the same quality.

Having said that they can all gave their issues, my advice is never give your money over until you been down the road in your actual one.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
my sunlight is now 4.5 years and only problem has been the crap thetford fridge now fixed the van is well put together

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Rapido. Biased opinion! And Iā€™ve never owned any other make,so totally unqualified to commentā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦but I will :LOL:

It seems to me that every motorhome converter goes through periods when their vans are well built,and other periods when they are not. I have reached this conclusion by reading stuff on here over the last six years.

So,the skill is knowing how to identify the converters who are doing a quality build at the time you are buyingā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.which may certainly not be the same as those currently in that category. In order to do that you will need to become something of a nerd on the subject of ā€œhow to build a top quality motorhomeā€ and do this by researching on here,and on visiting factories if you can.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wouldn't even try to narrow it down to an manufacturer or even country of origin as quite simply a quality van is one that matches your requirements and we know that we all have different tastes and needs.

If the question was which are the best built it might be a different answer.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
N&B but pre 2008. The post- financial crash ones just arent the same quality.

Having said that they can all gave their issues, my advice is never give your money over until you been down the road in your actual one.
That's not that easy with a bespoke factory order Jon, but good advice with a used one or new from the showroom.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I wouldn't even try to narrow it down to an manufacturer or even country of origin as quite simply a quality van is one that matches your requirements and we know that we all have different tastes and needs.

If the question was which are the best built it might be a different answer.

Martin has probably more insight into build quality because he did many factory tours in the high-quality marque factories before he bought his Morelo Palace.

I know Martin and Jen and that their decision was based on getting a quality MH for life. I think that I would take a similar decision if we were free to travel extensively, which we are not yet- but one day.

One thing that puts me off buying new is delivery times - I might be dead before it arrives :LOL:

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back