White Streaks After Washing (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Can anyone please suggest a way to remove the white streaks from the side of the MoHo, they're more prominent on the matt black and silver decals on the side.

I washed it last evening after the sun had gone down and it was a little cooler outside. Chamois leathered off with some fresh water this morning and loads of streaks all down the side (see attached images A & B).

Tried washing again but to no avail. Its a bit hot to try and polish them out just now. although I'm not sure polishing will do the trick.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly received.

Thanks- Derry

Attachments

• White Streaks after washing A.JPG
    White Streaks after washing A.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 90
  • White Streaks after washing B.JPG
    White Streaks after washing B.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 93

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
I'm guessing you live in an area with limescale problems?

The white lines are mineral deposits which are carried in the water you use to wash your van. When the water evaporates it leaves the minerals behind which dry out out on the bodywork. The white marks are mineral deposits.

EXAMPLE - Imagine washing your van with a bucket of water and you added a bag of salt to it. The salt will dissolve in the water. It wont be visible. The water will appear clear. When the water evaporates, the salt will appear on the surface. This is what you can see - mineral (salt) deposits.

These are the same mineral deposits that form limescale in your kettle.

If you live in an area with high mineral deposits you can use De-Ionised (DI) water to rinse your van. This is an ultra clean, purified form of water with almost zero deposits parts per million.

It's easy to make DI water. It can be made as and when you need it.

You don't need to wash your van or jet wash it with DI water, just rinse it down with DI water.

It's the same stuff window cleaners use with those big long poles.

Here's a few links -

https://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2017/07/03/8-benefits-of-using-deionized-water-for-car-washing/

You can buy DI vessels with resin from eBay. Here's just one link. There are hundreds!

It just plugs into your outside tap like a hospepipe and you rinse your van.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have used Autoglym active insect remover on Decals before without issue but do wash it off, I spray a little on wipe over with a microfibre cloth rinse and then wipe dry with a microfibre cloth. If using on paintwork I use the Autoglym Aqua wax after.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I've had the same issues with the Morelo Carbon Effect graphics and it drives me nuts to see all those streaks; it even shows on the white bodywork!

We pay so much for water in the UK but they deliver such a poor quality product and we never question it. Think of all the damage done in the UK by hard water, especially in the south-east.

Anyway, to address this issue I have just purchased this bad boy 23L de-ioniser from Amazon (£145) and it is amazing.

Screenshot 1 3.png

It came with hose adapters fitted and was pre-filled with the Tulsion resin granules. The pressure out of it is great too as I feared the filtration would reduce either the output pressure or the flow rate but no change it's like it isn't there.

I also bought the digital water particulate meter (£8.99) to test the output water quality.
Screenshot 1 4.png

Tap water turned the meter screen red and measured 466 parts per million (ppm)

I tested the water from the Brita filter in the kitchen and that was a green screen at 260ppm

I tested the output from the de-ioniser cylinder and it was green screen at 0ppm. I cleaned the MH last weekend and it looked amazing. No need to dry the MH at all, everything dried streak-free, including the windows and mirrors. Happy days

The wife told me how great it was and that I could now do all the house windows too!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have the same problem with our motorhome. We live in the Southdowns National Park and the whole area is very chalky. We had the garden sprinkler on the other day and some of the spray went on our windows. They were covered in chalk or limescale... not sure which but they were a mess.

The filter system looks very interesting.

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
This is the 2000 gallon version (that is, 2000 gallons of de-ionised water before the resin needs to be replaced)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
So not wanting to totally hijack this thread, although I will start a new one if deemed more appropriate. I cleaned my motorhome three weeks ago it’s been polished waxed and I’m v careful in the products i use, but today went to give it the once over before we hit a festival and there is black streaks, opposite of what we’re discussing here (sorry) but it’s down the side and back.
The sides are raised so it’s not as if water runs down from the roof, I can understand the back as that’s where most of the water is channelled but I’m not so sure what’s causing the streaks.
Do merelo and Concorde owners also get the same issue? Or is it a better grade material so this doesn’t happen ? Again sorry for the thread hijack cheers
Mark

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
So not wanting to totally hijack this thread, although I will start a new one if deemed more appropriate. I cleaned my motorhome three weeks ago it’s been polished waxed and I’m v careful in the products i use, but today went to give it the once over before we hit a festival and there is black streaks, opposite of what we’re discussing here (sorry) but it’s down the side and back.
The sides are raised so it’s not as if water runs down from the roof, I can understand the back as that’s where most of the water is channelled but I’m not so sure what’s causing the streaks.
Do merelo and Concorde owners also get the same issue? Or is it a better grade material so this doesn’t happen ? Again sorry for the thread hijack cheers
Mark
I have exactly the same streaks on the white aluminum panels and believe they are from particulates/pollution in the rain - I could be wrong though. They are annoying but easily wiped off

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Regarding the op.

You could use a good microfibre cloth, around £5-10 and quick detailer whilst the van is still wet but not soaking.

This may well help with the streaks.

Personally I would not let a chamois near any of my vehicles.

Black streaks

Good luck with trying to stop those.
I’ve tried all sorts and not stopped them yet.

Always use a good wax after a proper clean and the streaks should be easy to remove ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back