White smoke from Autocruise (Peugeot Boxer 2.5TD) (1 Viewer)

JakeLePeg

Free Member
Aug 8, 2010
Midway Toulouse-Bordeaux
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
2 Years
When I purchased my used van a couple of months ago, it had a cloud of white smoke on start up but, it disappeared after, say, 10 seconds. Suddenly, this has changed and it smokes really badly whilst stationary at a certain rev range and, the engine stutters a little. Increasing the revs and the smoke disappears completely and the the engine runs perfectly . The van had not been used for quite a while before my purchase and, firstly, I felt this smoking could be due to hardened valve stem seals. However, I think this thought is now dispelled with its current performance as I guess the smoke would be present through the entire rev range.

Any clues from the tech wizards among you please?

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
White smoke is usually water IMHO. One suspicion would be there is some water in the diesel tank (which, interestingly, I suspect I have as a problem in my petrol engined Talbot Express). If you have a fuel filter with a drain off on it, check that first for water.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I'm no expert but isn't white smoke a sign of a Pope? In the light of recent events you may have to check you don't have one aboard.:Smile:

More seriously I had a similar problen with my car which turned out to be a faulty fuel injector.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Firstly, are you having to topup the radiator,if its not using any water then a good blast down the motorway should clear it.
What does it smell like,if it smells strongly of diesel its unburnt fuel...was the previous owner a biofuel user.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Firstly, are you having to topup the radiator,if its not using any water then a good blast down the motorway should clear it.
What does it smell like,if it smells strongly of diesel its unburnt fuel...was the previous owner a biofuel user.

I had a bus with a similar problem. The exhaust changed colour from billowing while clouds to nothing to billowing black clouds.

It turned out to be a worn shim in the pump timing that was allowing it it shift in use, even though it appeared to be tight.

John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi same thing on one of my old work vans, turned out to be a worn turbo - when stood overnight it leaked fuel, soon as it started up missed for a few secs then revved free for about tens secs with white smoke, cleared it's throat and ran perfect for the rest of the day :thumb:
You can check by removing the air pipe off the turbo ( engine off ) and stick your finger on the turbo fan point :thumb: if there is any wobble that is the problem :thumb:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You will need to have a good smell of the smoke to determin what it smells of first.
Have had an injector nosle leaking overnight,leaving a deposit of diesel on top of the piston do the same thing. It clears after a few minutes but you can smell the unburnt fuel if thats the problem.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
J

JakeLePeg

Free Member
Aug 8, 2010
Midway Toulouse-Bordeaux
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
2 Years
Thanks for the various postings and ideas, I will now try and add a little more info. I am not losing water at all and I really don't think there is water in the fuel as it would not be clearing up at all. Not sure what fuel was used previously.

The turbo idea from Terry seemed close to the mark and those symptoms were very similar last week - literally clearing up after 10 seconds.

However, from cold, the white smoke is really bad just within a certain rev range, with the engine "missing". Below and above this rev range the engine is perfect. It just doesn't clear up at all.

I took the van for a quick sprint down my local autoroute and whilst smoking for a little while, it did clear up once the engine was hot. On my return, whist stationery, the smoking had almost disappeared through the complete rev range. so, it is obviously a problem which occurs when engine is cold.

I think Brynic may have a point in that I may have a dodgy injector. I think tomorrow I will release the injectors one by one to see if the smoke disappears. Wish me luck.

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
I know people have had a sticky EGR valve and tapped it with a hammer &
sorted out the problem.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I noticed your location there have been quite a lot of posts on forums lately about problems with poor quality fuel when abroad especially supermarkets just a thought::bigsmile:riving2:I wondered if you maybe had a problem since last filling up?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like a dodgy glow plug - very cheap! These will cause it to chug along when cold and billow smoke until warm, as the plug heats to temp through running, it will start fine again during the day until it cools again

If that fails, it could need a pressure test done, symtoms also similar to a cracked head (closes when hot) Watch the injectors on modern vehicles, check if low or high pressure as if it has a high pressure system and you will loose a hand when running.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back