White oval GB sticker is required for EU travel (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Quote C&CC magazine Nov 2019, page 73
" .. motorhomes must display an oval white GB sticker even when EU standard registration plates are fitted..." ???
Phil

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Quote C&CC magazine Nov 2019, page 73
" .. motorhomes must display an oval white GB sticker even when EU standard registration plates are fitted..." ???
Phil
Sounds like a requirement for if/when we leave the EU. It always was a requirement before we joined. Nothing surprising about it, just turn the clocks back 45 years. :)

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Euro number plates are for vehicles from European states visiting other states which we might not be soon so a GB plate is required and there is a standard for the size allowed .

Reactions: DBK
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Has any one been stopped for not having one ? I suppose France will heavily enforce as punishment!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
So what about mine. It’s got the GB but dare I say it, its the blue badge with yellow stars of EU. Legal?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Why do people find this so difficult? EU legislation allows vehicles registered in member states to display their country of registration in the form of the EU identifier within the number plate, instead of having to display an international convention sticker.

As we are currently a member of the EU we can use the EU style number plates.

If or when we leave the EU, the identifier on the number plate will no longer be valid because we can no longer claim the arrangement between member states. We will therefore have to display a GB sticker in accordance with the international convention, the same as any vehicle registered in any other non-EU member state. EU member state vehicles will also have to display international convention stickers if circulating in this country.

I thought the point of people voting to leave was that they didn't want to be bound by EU legislation? Now they're moaning because we can't keep things the same!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So what about mine. It’s got the GB but dare I say it, its the blue badge with yellow stars of EU. Legal?
No. Post Brexit.

just turn the clocks back 45 years.

And not before time, too.

As for GB plates. I put a St Georges cross over the EU(SSR) "thing" when I bought it as with all my vehicles.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As no one knows what the departure deal will be finally, how did they reach this conclusion? I'd wait a while before making an investment in a GB sticker :)

Mick
Yes, a big investment... 99p on eBay for magnetic ones of correct size and suitable for PVCs.

No doubt stick on one's cost less... :rolleyes: (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We've got two of the magnetic ones but how on earth you attach them to a motorhome that contains no metal goodness only knows! :unsure:

Wyn

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Cool, we can get rid of the EU bit off our registration plates now? :D
You never HAD to have it in the first place if it bothered you that much. Entirely voluntary, although you would have had to display a separate GB sticker if driving in Europe.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Cool, we can get rid of the EU bit off our registration plates now? :D

I have always wanted one with the EU flag on but my cars never came with them. Can’t have wanted them enough to replace the number plates I suppose.

We bought a magnetic GB sticker just incase. I’d rather have had an SCO one as everyone we’ve met in the EU has been aware of the voting pattern but they’re not legal tender ?.

It worked fine, still happily sitting on PVC after 3 months.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
I think it is more than just GB plates - we will need an International Driving Permit, a Green Card from insurer, V5C document("log book"), replacement for EHic (reciprocal health benefits) and a visa if you plan to stay over 90 days. Also passport must have at least 6 months left. :(

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What is happening??????????????????????????

Thomas is totally :swear2: up and confused..... :RollEyes::giggler:

1572383768371.png

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I have always wanted one with the EU flag on but my cars never came with them. Can’t have wanted them enough to replace the number plates I suppose.

We bought a magnetic GB sticker just incase. I’d rather have had an SCO one as everyone we’ve met in the EU has been aware of the voting pattern but they’re not legal tender ?.

It worked fine, still happily sitting on PVC after 3 months.
I have an ENG one and no issues .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Well before EU days we in the GB were always the ‘compliant’ ones, I remember buying yellow paint for my headlights when going across the channel in the 70’s

never seen a single EU vehicle with headlight deflectors over here and doubt they all have country identifiers either

in or out nothing will really change , provided you are over 60 and remember how it used to be ?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Well before EU days we in the GB were always the ‘compliant’ ones, I remember buying yellow paint for my headlights when going across the channel in the 70’s

never seen a single EU vehicle with headlight deflectors over here and doubt they all have country identifiers either

in or out nothing will really change , provided you are over 60 and remember how it used to be ?

But you're only 58
:getmecoat:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Is that because EU vehicles have lights which dip vertically downwards, but GB vehicles dip down AND TO THE NEARSIDE (which of course is towards oncoming vehicles when driving on the RHS of the road)?

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back