Whitby - wild stops? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Hey all, anyone stopped at Whitby as a wild camp with beach access ie very nearby? This Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night planning a run up that way and back from Bedford.Thinking first night would be the like of Sutton on Sea, then Whitby then not sure with a drive home Monday.

Would love to NOT use any official sites if possible, any suggestions gratefully received.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We were there last week and stayed at the showground temporary site right beside the Abbey. Didn’t notice any opportunities by the beach but there’s a microbrewery next door and it’s only a short walk down the 199 steps into the town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We were there last week and stayed at the showground temporary site right beside the Abbey. Didn’t notice any opportunities by the beach but there’s a microbrewery next door and it’s only a short walk down the 199 steps into the town.
Stayed there too, very convenient and laid back. Not cheap at £25 a night but in the best place for Whitby.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Sandsend for Whitby. Any closer to the sea and you would drown

I'd spotted Sandsend on google last night, looks like there may be a few road spots round there to park up.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
we’ve just done a THS at Caedmon College, £14 with water and dump and it’s the nearest spot to the harbour, it’s a 10 min walk down to front but a steep walk back up again

apart from the actual harbour front everywhere in Whitby is up or down 😉

Our friends run the Abbey farm site which is nice but the steps up are a bit of a struggle for me, it’s £25 a night though and no hook up if you need it

Al 👍

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
A few places recently visited by J&M referenced here

and I also saw a load of options across the moors when we visited plus some official and potential Britstops. There is also a temporary site at the Caedmon College a mile out of town. We stayed at Broadings Farm and would return there.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
we’ve just done a THS at Caedmon College, £14 with water and dump and it’s the nearest spot to the harbour, it’s a 10 min walk down to front but a steep walk back up again

Our friends run the Abbey farm site which is nice but the steps up are a bit of a struggle for me, it’s £25 a night though and no hook up if you need it

Al 👍
We were at the college THS for the steam fair (y) is the Abbey farm that you mention the field that they use for the steam show and is it open all year? it is different to the Abbey car parking that I mentioned above but I don't know the exact details of this so might have to pack the van and go have a look.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I'd spotted Sandsend on google last night, looks like there may be a few road spots round there to park up.
Timing is all. Usually at least a dozen vans overnighting on the side nearest the sea but need to get there when the cars start to leave.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
We were at the college THS for the steam fair (y) is the Abbey farm that you mention the field that they use for the steam show and is it open all year? it is different to the Abbey car parking that I mentioned above but I don't know the exact details of this so might have to pack the van and go have a look.
I would ring ahead, not sure when they shut down the field for the whitby war weekend which is bank holiday....I'm guessing they will shut from monday 23rd but best to check

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
yes it is that same field but only open 56 days this year I understand, they wil be rammed for the war weekend

they have a smaller paddock right at the roadside which was open this last weekend

I put them on SFS if you want to look or have Max & Shazz’s no. if you get stuck

Al 👍

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
yes it is that same field but only open 56 days this year I understand, they wil be rammed for the war weekend

they have a smaller paddock right at the roadside which was open this last weekend

I put them on SFS if you want to look or have Max & Shazz’s no. if you get stuck

Al 👍
He told us they had 56 nights on each field, so were rotating a bit to make the license last as long as possible. It’s hideously expensive for what is just a place to park on grass, but for one night with the view it was do-able.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No

Al 👍
THS ?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just spent this weekend at the carparks on the Moors on the Pickering Road. Only ever a few vans there so con pick a spot.
The Abbey campsite was jammed and yes they wanted£25 to park on their grass

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
You can overnight in the Abbey car park it does cost money so might not be everybody's idea of "wild" its also a distance from the beach both horizontally and vertically.
Yep and there’s the rub, the wife’s mobility isn’t great at all and hills and steps are very much her nemesis

Temporary holiday site I believe. But think these are camping and caravan member only? Happy to be corrected on that.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Just spent this weekend at the carparks on the Moors on the Pickering Road. Only ever a few vans there so con pick a spot.
The Abbey campsite was jammed and yes they wanted£25 to park on their grass
Yes Blue Bank pull ins are excellent for overnighting stayed up on the bank couple of weeks ago for the night watched the fireworks after the steam fair excellent and a good overnighter since Scarborough BC now hate motorhomes.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes Blue Bank pull ins are excellent for overnighting stayed up on the bank couple of weeks ago for the night watched the fireworks after the steam fair excellent and a good overnighter since Scarborough BC now hate motorhomes.

That's the one Blue Bank. :drinks:

We often use the Park and ride at the bottom of the hill now to get into Whitby. It's less of a walk from the carparks.
It was jammed this weekend but the fish and chips are always worth the trip :clap2:

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Jim have you space for a 7.6m motorhome either Saturday or Sunday night perchance? oh with 2 dogs too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back