Whitby Overnight Parking Maybe (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
All the tourist destinations where the locals have been chasing people away with pitch forks will soon realise it was never a great long term plan.....

Maybe they might realise that they should have maybe thought outside the box and made provisions to allow it to be as safe as possible for local business, visitors and residents as soon as distance restrictions were removed, to try and save their economy.

Just a thought....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The was a similar proposal for the marina car park a while ago but it got turned down. There are a lot of people who own other accommodation who will contest it but I think sooner or later it will happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
It's time most local authorities understood that we (motor home users) have money to spend and if they were to provide over-night parking and the basic fill and empty facilities we would spend it in their locality.

In Europe many authorities have already learned this simple fact and welcome for us. Admittedly they have the ability to police this service powerfully to keep 'long stayers' and itinerants out where we do not have this luxury. I've seen local police in France descend quickly on those who abuse the Aires and remove them, it's a pity our authorities cannot do the same.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Whilst I understand people's joy at this, what I am struggling to comprehend is that according to ukcampsites there are 37 campsites that accept motorhomes within a 10 mile radius of Whitby

So, how much additional spending (bearing in mind the many threads on here about how thrifty motorhomers are) are we talking about if motorhomers could camp in this car park?

I think consideration also needs to be given to how modern motorhomes have good fridge freezers & cooking facilities meaning many purchase food & drink at budget supermarkets & self cater rather then spend money eating out

Also, the article mentions a 'nominal charge' what do people think is 'nominal' £10 ?

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
we would be happy to pay a reasonable charge particularly if water and disposal facilities were on offer. Whilst we generally self-cater, we do have a drink in a local pub or cafe, buy newspapers, food etc at local places and visit (and pay for) local attractactions (no lewd suggestions please!) and Whitby certainly has some of these. Lets hope the council go ahead with approval.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we would be happy to pay a reasonable charge particularly if water and disposal facilities were on offer. Whilst we generally self-cater, we do have a drink in a local pub or cafe, buy newspapers, food etc at local places and visit (and pay for) local attractactions (no lewd suggestions please!) and Whitby certainly has some of these. Lets hope the council go ahead with approval.
If anyone has any lewd suggestions let me know as were just down the road and I haven't found any!!!!. I think if the proposal depends on hopes of MH spending if it's the same or less than is likely by day trippers it's unlikely to swing it in terms of capital investment.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Whilst I understand people's joy at this, what I am struggling to comprehend is that according to ukcampsites there are 37 campsites that accept motorhomes within a 10 mile radius of Whitby

So, how much additional spending (bearing in mind the many threads on here about how thrifty motorhomers are) are we talking about if motorhomers could camp in this car park?

I think consideration also needs to be given to how modern motorhomes have good fridge freezers & cooking facilities meaning many purchase food & drink at budget supermarkets & self cater rather then spend money eating out

Also, the article mentions a 'nominal charge' what do people think is 'nominal' £10 ?

We've often parked overnight by the Marina in Whitby and paid, I think it was £6 a night. Whenever we parked up, there were always several other motorhomes parked.

It worked for us because from there you can walk into the town centre, the beach, the shops, pubs and restaurants. We're not interested in a campsite miles from the town.

We always shopped, went to the pub, bought coffees, ice creams and ate out. We've had boat trips from the harbour wall and paid, more than once, for a day out on the steam trains.

I think your assertion that many people self cater is incorrect. When we've stayed in Whitby, we've talked to the other motorhomers staying there and they have spoken with enthusiasm about all the delights that Whitby has to offer, especially the full English in the morning and the wonderful Whitby fish and chips.

As motorhomers, we're very much in favour of supporting the local economy when we visit. We don't ram our cupboards and freezer full of food. We like going to the local shops, visiting the pubs and eating out. Isn't that part of the joy of motorhoming? And, doesn't it mean that the towns and tourist spots we visit will be glad to see us?

I actually think we have a duty to give something back, so if you always self-cater, perhaps you should think again. Post Covid-19 obviously.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It will definitely get my business love Whitby but at the present time it's too motorhome unfriendly

Is that because they stopped you parking in the town centre for the night? And only £12 for 24 hour's parking. There are many other free altertive overnight spot's around Whitby and use the park and ride into town for the day. Simples 😁😁😁

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We like Whitby but have stayed outside and bused in so the offer of staying and supporting the town is a good move. If you look at the amount of vans that stay in places like Helmsley it must put money back into the local area.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The other point is, how many of the 37 campsites are open out of season, Nasher?

We've always gone to Whitby out of season, as we don't like places too busy and full of kids.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The other point is, how many of the 37 campsites are open out of season, @Nasher?

According to ukcampsites there are 12 open all year

We've always gone to Whitby out of season, as we don't like places too busy and full of kids.

I'm with you all the way on that

Although I quite like the female kids when once they're over forty-five years old 🙂

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
According to a neighbour, his son set off for Whitby on Friday and is currently staying in a farmers field without any facilities, but with quite a few other motorhomes.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We were planning to visit Whitby last year for Annies birthday in March but even the park and ride wasn't open so we went into Sainsbury's, and then headed south.
Been back since on a Shearings coach and would go again one day

Mike and Ann
PS Magpie was excellent , as ever!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I love Whitby. I’d never take the motorhome into town, though. I got the impression they didn’t want cars, let alone motorhomes!

Actually, they didn’t. They shut the bridge to cars because there were too many people and it was dangerous (it was too. We accidentally went on Goth weekend, and it was heaving. Interesting, though. The GirlChild loved it). I can to wait until she leaves school (or home) and I can go to places like this NOT during school holidays.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
We went to Whitby 4 or 5 times a year paid £8.00 for 24hrs to park near the boat yard for a few nights no problems then the B&B owners more or less moaned till the council stopped the overnight parking and now they want us back and want us oldies to go up and down 398 steps to the Abbey car park will have to think about that plus up there i assume it blows a gale in winter. Bill

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Maybe the towns now realise they need our money?

About time, bring it on (y)
That's great news and not a moment too soon, by the way what class as the winter months.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back