Whitby area ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've got the opportunity of a long weekend in the van this weekend and had planned to go to Anglesey in search of red squirrels and autumn tree colour.
But weather forecast is quite a lot of rain in the west, much drier on East coast, so I'm thinking of Whitby area but never been before.
Anyone know of parking near a nice beach, harbour, village etc for dog walks
Prefer to keep my FLT credentials intact but would consider a site if necessary.
Not too much north of Whitby.
Thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Park and rides very good and you park foc on the tops on the Pickering road. See Google earth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Scarborough Sealife Centre is good for MHs, overlooking the sea. Whitby doesn’t like MHs. :(

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Park and rides very good and you park foc on the tops on the Pickering road. See Google earth
I have been having a detailed look on Google earth at Whitby, cannot find Pickering Road, or any suitable FLT spots on the top or near the town, can you expand on your local knowledge please.
I think I read on here that we used to be able to use the harbour car park in the middle of town, but for some reason this MH parking facility has been removed by the council.
Many Thanks.
Les

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I have been having a detailed look on Google earth at Whitby, cannot find Pickering Road, or any suitable FLT spots on the top or near the town, can you expand on your local knowledge please.
I think I read on here that we used to be able to use the harbour car park in the middle of town, but for some reason this MH parking facility has been removed by the council.
Many Thanks.
Les

You can still park in the centre harbour car park but, at a cost of £9 for 24 hours with no srevices

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Parking bans will now been introduced from 11pm to 7am at the sites at Endeavour Wharf, Battery Parade and Whitby Marina Users car park.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think is directly up the very steep hill from the Park and ride, direction Pickering.
Its at the top of blue bank just above our village (Sleights) 3 miles inland from Whitby. There have been a few M/H recently parked along the seafront road in Sandsend the past couple of weeks that seem not to have been bothered by anybody but the parking charges there apply until the end of October its free after then so might be best to get a parking ticket theres also a council parking area just up the hill from Sansend heading towards Whitby overlooking the sea its signed as council vehicles only but no-one seems to bother and a few M/H have parked in there overnight. I have noticed there a new CL in our village too.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks for the latest news on MH parking arrangements at Whitby. I can see the new park & ride car park has been built, but the usual no overnight sleeping sign is also very prominent.
I did see the Blue Bank Car Park on google earth, but unless there are regular buses stopping near by, it doesn't look that convenient for the town as we dont have a toad or scooter.
Looks like the residents have won their battle against us, and the Annual Goth weekend has really put an end to finding a suitable parking place to wild camp,or park legitimately overnight.
Looks like we will be giving Whitby a miss, such as shame, but becoming a widespread problem in this country.

Les

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Yes, Whitby just don’t want MHs. We used to like a weekend in Whitby but no more! It’s such a shame as a good few MHs used to go out of season for a few nights. It brought income to the town, in terms of shopping eating out and drinks out. We always had fish and chips at Whitby.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ah well, I'll avoid Whitby then !
Might just stick with Anglesey in the rain !
Thanks to all (y)
I'm planning to go up to Northumberland at some point but not enough time this weekend, that'll have to wait until next year

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Seahouses is lovely. We go on the campsite there out of season and you get cheap rates. There are some dedicated touring spaces, spotless facilities and you get full use of the leisure facilities. The pool and spa are really excellent.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We stayed on the Hinderwell site, which is about a mile inland from Staithes which we prefer to Whitby. You can walk or catch a bus to Staithes or park on the cliff top. If you want to do Whitby you can catch a bus or use the excellent park and ride at Whitby : there is plenty of room for motorhomes in the overflow car park.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We stayed on the Hinderwell site, which is about a mile inland from Staithes which we prefer to Whitby. You can walk or catch a bus to Staithes or park on the cliff top. If you want to do Whitby you can catch a bus or use the excellent park and ride at Whitby : there is plenty of room for motorhomes in the overflow car park.
If this is Serenity you are referring to then I can recommend it. We've stayed there a couple of times and it's a lovely site within walking distance of a couple of pubs and a small shop.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Pickering road is the A169, tops as in out on the moors (y)
Ah well, I'll avoid Whitby then !
Might just stick with Anglesey in the rain !
Thanks to all (y)
I'm planning to go up to Northumberland at some point but not enough time this weekend, that'll have to wait until next year

No -- what's wrong with staying at the top of the hill and simply driving down to the park and ride for the day? Perfect solution and Whitby is stunning.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I am just wondering how long it will before the council enforce their no parking requirement, and put gates across the opening:(
That would be a shame as it looks like a great view can be had from there, also noticed the pay & display parking meters on the lay bye further along the road, wonder what the charges are for that, and I bet no overnight sleeping signs are posted also.
Thanks for posting though, very helpful for the future, fingers crossed.
Les

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Nice site at Flyingthorpe. six miles south of Whitby but good bus service. !0 minutes walk cross country to Robin Hoods Bay and Boggle s Hole. Great for dogs on beach.
Site is called Middlewood Farm.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

This is what I found - same place but read the reviews seems to be rather anti motorhome in that area

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
unreal, so because the council of a really popular seaside resort where parking is really scarce for residents let alone tourists decide they wont give free seafront overnight parking to motorhomes is considered anti-motorhome!!!
get a grip people...wildcamp on the outskirts and taxi in...expecting free parking spots in the town because you buy a bag of chips is unrealistic

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Swan farm. High hawsker. Between Whitby and RH bay. 3.5 mile walk in either direction along the old railway line, which is at the side of the site. And a pub (the hare and hounds) at the other side of the site. We usually walk to Whitby one day and RH bay the other.

Deleted User
Nice site at Flyingthorpe. six miles south of Whitby but good bus service. !0 minutes walk cross country to Robin Hoods Bay and Boggle s Hole. Great for dogs on beach.
Site is called Middlewood Farm.
We stayed at Middlewood Farm in our tenting days and enjoyed our stay. We like to blog about our trips and this one got our attention - https://ontheway.scot/middlewood-farm-holiday-park
All the best
Tom & Aileen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back