Whisky fans - Lidl do it again (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
@Mattyjwr a long weekend in the Peak District sounds good.

Would have to be before April. Edit just checked my diary and the only dates that work for me (assuming I bring the kids are 25-28 March which is the long BH weekend).

Happy to have a tasting session - I've never done (led) a proper one before, so it may be like blind leading the blind :D:whistle:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Mattyjwr a long weekend in the Peak District sounds good.

Would have to be before April. Edit just checked my diary and the only dates that work for me (assuming I bring the kids are 25-28 March which is the long BH weekend).

Happy to have a tasting session - I've never done (led) a proper one before, so it may be like blind leading the blind :D:whistle:

Unfortunately, we're already booked for that weekend. We could meet earlier in March or Feb if I can get SWMBO to drive. Alternatively, after Easter but not bank hols?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
@Mattyjwr the only time I can do after Easter is immediately after (29-31 March). Otherwise perhaps pushing it to later during the year.

Tonight's dram is Balblair 03 1st release. Now lots of people who know far more than me really rate this distillery. They are artisanal in their nature and I'm aware that they do spend a lot of time in choosing their specific bottles that are released. As an indication, whilst most distilleries pump out whisky once it reaches a particular age (10/12/15 year) Balblair wait until it 'tastes' right. That could be any age. Sounds good eh? Yes. And no. All the official distillery bottles that I have had, whilst delicate and complex have been nowhere near as good as some of the independent bottles that I have had. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, but it would appear that the casks they have used for this bottling are second fill. That is to say they have held two other liquids in them previously so less flavour can find its way into the whisky.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice nose with pears, figs and plums, but the palate is a bit short, lightweight and watery and the finish is a bit flat too. A bit 'meh.

For 25% less money (£30) you could get a G&M 10 year old bottling from this distillery that will make you say mmmm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Mattyjwr the only time I can do after Easter is immediately after (29-31 March). Otherwise perhaps pushing it to later during the year.

Tonight's dram is Balblair 03 1st release. Now lots of people who know far more than me really rate this distillery. They are artisanal in their nature and I'm aware that they do spend a lot of time in choosing their specific bottles that are released. As an indication, whilst most distilleries pump out whisky once it reaches a particular age (10/12/15 year) Balblair wait until it 'tastes' right. That could be any age. Sounds good eh? Yes. And no. All the official distillery bottles that I have had, whilst delicate and complex have been nowhere near as good as some of the independent bottles that I have had. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, but it would appear that the casks they have used for this bottling are second fill. That is to say they have held two other liquids in them previously so less flavour can find its way into the whisky.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice nose with pears, figs and plums, but the palate is a bit short, lightweight and watery and the finish is a bit flat too. A bit 'meh.

For 25% less money (£30) you could get a G&M 10 year old bottling from this distillery that will make you say mmmm.

Later in the year would work. Possibly mid Sep or mud Oct?

OP
OP
TheWM

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I'll be in and around the Peak district 28-28 July in between some festivals - that would work great for me :)

Mid Sep/Oct is no good due to my eldest now being school age :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For you whisky lovers. We were in Asda this morning and they have several Roll back prices on spirits including some blended whiskies and single malts.

Mind you, it shows just what the mark-up is when they can knock a tenner off a £30 bottle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back