LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know am thinking ahead but we want to drive to Salou in Spain next year. We are newbies and have never been to Europe in a MH so no experience of driving on other side of road.

Which way would be best to go from the UK so we miss out the windy mountains and steep hills I've heard about? We aren't in any rush to get there so the safest and most economical way please.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it was me...
Calais, Rouen, Chartes, Blois, chatearoux, Toulouse, Narbone and down the coast into Spain. Can all be done toll free but worth getting on the motorway for the crossing into Spain and around Barcelona..
Toulouse then via Andora would be better BUT that way you certainly see some hills..sorry Mountains !!!

You can go via Clemont Ferrand but that way is quite steep...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
there are 3 routes to chose from there clemont is maybe the best i havent been the way tonka says so i cant comment on it

There is not much to choose between either the route i listed or the Clemont route.. Just that the hills are steeper via Milau and Clemont... I used to do that area of Spain twice a year and would often run down one way and come back another... Depends on the reason for asking about the hills..
Fear or vehicle issues..... :Eeek:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
A couple of questions are when are you going, and which crossing are you thinking of (which could depend on where you are starting from!). Then to help you we need an idea of how long you can take over your journey - are you in a hurry, or van you take your time?

The Clermont route is high, with steep hills - you are going over the Massif Centrale, after all, and depending on when you are travelling you might want to avoid the west coast route, which can see really heavy traffic at holiday periods.

In our opinion, the "middle" route recommended by Tonka is likely to be best, and the A20 towards Limoges is a lovely road especially as you run through the Limousin, with forests flanking much of the autoroute If you are looking for somewhere to stop around Limoges we would be glad to see you, and you'll get a good peaceful night's sleep

From us, if you want you can be in Spain the next day, but there are several routes from here, the choice of which depends on your schedule.

Answer the questions and Funsters will give you as much help as you could want!:roflmto::roflmto:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A couple of questions are when are you going, and which crossing are you thinking of (which could depend on where you are starting from!). Then to help you we need an idea of how long you can take over your journey - are you in a hurry, or van you take your time?

The Clermont route is high, with steep hills - you are going over the Massif Centrale, after all, and depending on when you are travelling you might want to avoid the west coast route, which can see really heavy traffic at holiday periods.

In our opinion, the "middle" route recommended by Tonka is likely to be best, and the A20 towards Limoges is a lovely road especially as you run through the Limousin, with forests flanking much of the autoroute If you are looking for somewhere to stop around Limoges we would be glad to see you, and you'll get a good peaceful night's sleep

From us, if you want you can be in Spain the next day, but there are several routes from here, the choice of which depends on your schedule.

Answer the questions and Funsters will give you as much help as you could want!:roflmto::roflmto:

Bob
www.parcverger.com

No idea of an exact date just August and no rush to get there. I am going to take the route suggested by Tonka. Not scared of the mountains but I don't want to frighten mum since the folk at our meet last week have helped me to convince her to go to Europe, and I read somewhere there are very few crash barriers.

We may well stop by on route. Just bought a camperstop book yesterday so can spend some free time planning.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Sandra, have you told your mum yet.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes John, She's coming::bigsmile:. She is going to fly back after a month. I just need to return her MH back to her by spring .:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
August is very busy at Spanish campsites and very expensive so plan ahead in case you need to book. We love Salou and usually stay at camping La Siesta in town...

Dont be put off by the stories it's nowhere near that bad at all..!!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I am flying out to Salou on Tues to stay with relatives for 5 days. I know of 1 wild camping area but I will be on the look out for more while I'm there.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back