Which way home from Venice - you decide... (1 Viewer)

Which route?

• Total voters

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
A little advise please...

We are currently in Venice with six days left of our holiday. Our tunnel crossing is noon next Tuesday and I am happy to do 3 to 4 hours driving a day using toll roads (including Mont Blanc).

Our satnav has suggested the three options below.

Screenshot_20170426-093316.png

The remainder of our holiday is in your hands.
Vote for a route, suggested places to visit and stopovers are welcome. We are are happy to stay on campsites or aires / stellplatz.

Come on funsters share your wisdom.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I've been looking at a route back from North of Rome for the end of May.

Have decided to go Rome to Genoa, then up through France staying at Bourg-en-Bresse next night, Metz the night after, then up through Luxembourg and Belgium to Zebrugge. Gives between 250 and 300 miles a day.

There are a few aires in the book at both Bourg and Metz, hopefully we'll get on one of them. If not there are always commercial sites.

So my thoughts are France if I was coming back like you are. I don't have vignettes for Switzerland or go-box for Austria so naturally would avoid both.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
My vote goes to Austria - you could visit Mr Hymer at Bad Walsee on the way back. Just remember that every time I've been there I've got VERY wet, so don't leave the van without a brolly. Zell-am-See is a beautiful town, and you could do some shopping for me while you're there...... ;)

IMG_2682.PNG

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Take the SW route but go through Oulx, Montgenevre, and Briancon to avoid the Frejus tunnel toll. Don't even consider the Mont Blanc tunnel without a second mortgage. Aires are available at Montgenevre and Briancon, lovely scenery along the way, roads are a bit curvy in places but are of a good width. Avoid Paris, head north around Troyes to join the middle route on your graphic.

German autobahns are very similar to British motorways in quality and traffic volume, plus they have the nutter lane to contend with. Belgian and Luxembourg autoroutes are similar. French autoroutes are a dream to drive by comparison, if more costly.

OP
OP
Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Thank you for your suggestions.
We are having lunch in Venice (not in the main squares) and would need a 2nd mortgage for a bottle of water at 5 euros. My 0.4L of beer is 8.5 euro but a necessity after all the walking this morning.

@cliffandger I couldn't possibly upset Cliff by purchasing your Christmas necessity...nice try..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are having lunch in Venice (not in the main squares) and would need a 2nd mortgage for a bottle of water at 5 euros. My 0.4L of beer is 8.5 euro but a necessity after all the walking this morning.

@cliffandger I couldn't possibly upset Cliff by purchasing your Christmas necessity...nice try..[/USER]

@Anthea M - and I thought they were my mates.... :crying::crying::crying::crying:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

There are actually real convenience shops for real people in Venice, with real prices, but you have to walk a long way to find them. I speak as one who once rashly agreed to coffee for two at Quadri's and waved goodbye to the best part of £30. It was a special occasion, but never again :)

You can take my deep envy as read that you're in Venice - it's our favourite city. Visit number 4 can't be far off.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mont Blanc a stop in Chamonix is excellent, Aguile du Midi a real bonus. But check the tunnel cost first.

Excellent site almost in centre of Chamonix opposite the hospital.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

@cliffandger I couldn't possibly upset Cliff by purchasing your Christmas necessity...nice try..

Beer is silly expensive in restaurants in Italy.

I am minded to complain to my MP about it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just to confuse..........

Germany wasn't listed. So ignoring Germany's number one attraction outside the lovely Fussen with one of the finest camp sites in Europe. Then Heidelberg which may be number two. Followed by collecting some fine wines on the Rhein and Moselle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

To confuse more.........

One of the top campsites in Italy is Camping Sagemuhler, Stelvio which leads you to Austria via the Rechsen Pass and into Fussen where there is the magnificent Camping Brunnen.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.6175394,10.5959629,1137m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...x41e48add78bf300!8m2!3d47.569648!4d10.7004328

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Mont Blanc a stop in Chamonix is excellent, Aguile du Midi a real bonus. But check the tunnel cost first.

Excellent site almost in centre of Chamonix opposite the hospital.
Is this the site?
IMG_2634.JPG
It's only a 15min walk to the cable car, or 10min into town. Chamonix's perfect for a hectic one day visit (y)

Germany wasn't listed. So ignoring Germany's number one attraction outside the lovely Fussen with one of the finest camp sites in Europe. Then Heidelberg which may be number two. Followed by collecting some fine wines on the Rhein and Moselle.
Can you recall the name of the campsite at Heidelberg? I want to visit but remarkably, there aren't many stopover options...

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@Mr Mousy Don't forget to factor in bella bambino aka Millie has to go to the vets on the way back up (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Even though you have a heart of stone and, I have to say, no style in Christmas Decorations - as it is your second honeymoon - can I suggest this route....

http://www.romanticroadgermany.com/

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber also has a HUGE Christmas Shop = just saying..... :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Mmmmn Germany has been thrown into the mix....

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Slowly wandering up the Romantische Strasse would be lovely. I have details of all the aires, and what could be better than having a second honeymoon selfie taken here......

neuschw.jpg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Dinkelsbuhl was one of our favourites on the Romantic road,a picturesque walled town, aire just outside the town walls.

image.jpeg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mmmmn Germany has been thrown into the mix....

Hugely neglected, big mistake. Neuschwanstein has to be seen to be believed and then you rub your eyes a lot. You might get in at this time of year, difficult later.

Nothing beats sitting by the Rhein, enjoying schwartzwaltkirchetorte with a local wine and watch the world go by.
rhein.JPG

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Just be aware that the road west of Briancon was shut 2 weeks ago due to issues with the tunnel next to lake chambron. Just check as there is a lot of info out there. There was talk of a new tunnel opening soon but not sure when.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
You could take a romantic carriage ride up to the Neuchswanstein Castle....
Neuchswanstein 1.JPG

Have your photo taken on the bridge....
Neuchswanstein Castle 5.JPG

There is a brilliant aires on the edge of Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber, where this is this relic.....
Christ's Blood .JPG

Then there is a detour off the Romantic Road to Oberammergau where there are lots of painted houses, and a passion play every 10 years (we just missed it when we went.... what did I say about 'im indoors being unrighteous...)
Little Red Riding Hood House, Oberammergau.JPG

So much to see - no tolls on the road - it has to be Germany (while they still welcome us with open arms....) ;)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Germany for me too. For all the reasons posted. Been following your trip as it is on out list. I had thought to race back to the train but now I'm reconsidering...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
morning D + M, I have picked Austria, but mainly out of lazy curiosity, we would always pick France, but have recently said we must try Germany, language and attitude has put me off so far

so if you two could please do a reccae for us, that would be appreciated, with write up of course :)(y)

but just another heads up for the Mont Blanc tunnel and I guess others as well, we 'popped' through from Chamonix while there skiing with family, decided an Italian pizza sounded a good idea, we had a Land Cruiser so quite big but much smaller than the Hymer, we paid nearly £50 return 10 years ago

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all your suggestions, we have been to chamonix and up the midi previously with Cliff and Ger and agree it's a great place to see. We also managed to loose our sons on the glacier one year!

We came through the tunnel last week and we were charged €54 single the return was €76 but had to used within 7 days. We are over 3meters and 4.25 tonnes. Although no measurement seemed to be taken, we just drove up to the toll, paid and went through...a disappointing lack of drama.

If you want to know more our thread wrongly untitled 2nd honeymoon might have some pics.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..and what could be better than having a second honeymoon selfie taken here......

neuschw.jpg

Not having to walk up to it from the car park?

Take binoculars if you want to spot your MH from the turrets :)

In the old days people would step onto the viewing platform and 'click' take a picture then walk away. Now you have to wait five minutes whilst they arrange their selfie sticks and practice their best Faecebook pout.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you want to know more our thread wrongly untitled 2nd honeymoon might have some pics.

I feel slightly told off and equally guilty for not keeping up fully with the other thread :)

But then you yourself only think it 'might' be there, the photos at least :LOL:

will promise to keep any eye on this and the honeymoon thread for updates on return journey :)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back