Which uses the most gas? (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
The wife's asked me tonight, if I boil a kettle or use the water heater.for washing up after teatime.
Which will save the most gas?
In the motorhome.
Me thinks the water heater will use more as its heating more water than would be needed.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
but the kettle boils at 100C so unless you take if off before it boil it will use more gas than the boiler set at 55C

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@irnbru Sandra, once said that when she boils a kettle for a cuppa, she saves any extra water in a thermos flask ... this mounts up and keeps hot and can be used for washing up or another cup of coffee even.

I'm really careful with gas usage as having ran out once and couldn't have my endless cups of tea it drove me mad.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
@irnbru Sandra, once said that when she boils a kettle for a cuppa, she saves any extra water in a thermos flask ... this mounts up and keeps hot and can be used for washing up or another cup of coffee even.

I'm really careful with gas usage as having ran out once and couldn't have my endless cups of tea it drove me mad.

You can't beat advice from a good Scottish lass ,I'm sure she uses the flask method to the maximum
Rumour has it she only farts at night when the windows are shut ,
Not that she wants to keep it to herself ,she just hates wasting hot air .

Vlad

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
but the kettle boils at 100C so unless you take if off before it boil it will use more gas than the boiler set at 55C

Only if you boil the same amount of water! :rolleyes:

I know how much I need to fill the bowl, be it for dish washing or face washing in the van. I'm very happy to heat the amount I need and sometimes mix it with cold water to get the correct temperature.

I have no control over the water in the boiler, as it will heat more water whenever some is run off. The water in the pipe will get cool once I switch the tap off and then I will have to run that water down the drain next time I want hot water out of the tap. TBH I take this to extreme in the house: I collect hot water for the washing up from the utility-room tap which is only 1m from the boiler, rather than the kitchen tap which requires a 5m run-off of cool water before it gets hot. Thus I save money on my water-meter bill and money on my hot-water bill. (y)

Tight? moi?

Gordon

PS I save the "run off" water in 2l milk bottles to water the plants or to rinse soapy water off cups and glasses, thus saving even more money. ;)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But if you're washing up, you'll be adding cold water to get the temperature right - unless you've got asbestos hands of course - so you'll heat less water. Think I'll go with the kettle, it's what we're currently doing here in Morocco using a local bottle and gas ring to save our on-board gas.

But there's sure to be someone with knowledge of therms and things who can tell us scientifically!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

I have no control over the water in the boiler, as it will heat more water whenever some is run off. The water in the pipe will get cool once I switch the tap off and then I will have to run that water down the drain next time I want hot water out of the tap. TBH I take this to extreme in the house: I collect hot water for the washing up from the utility-room tap which is only 1m from the boiler, rather than the kitchen tap which requires a 5m run-off of cool water before it gets hot. Thus I save money on my water-meter bill and money on my hot-water bill. (y)

Are you for real , I think you need a new boiler !
If you can take hot water out of a boiler from 1 m and use it for washing up with no cold then your a hero or your boiler ain't all that
If your putting any amount of cold in it to cool it down then your a numpty because you could have used sod all less over the 5 m un off to cool it down

Vlad

Then again you probably drive with the stereo and aircon off to save 0.00000003 mpg ,
If so congrats you have a wired scientific type of ADHD but then again were all different.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When we are trading at shows we put a full kettle on , make first drinks and keep the remainder of the water in a thermos for drinks later. This is to save time but also saves having to reboil water. Our Truma blown air heating keeps the hot water hot overnight and as its so well insulated it stays hot enough for general use all day.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do you need hot water these days to hand wash a few pots?
I thought modern detergents work and cut through grease at any temperature, there always seems to be lots of soapy suds when I wash up with cold water.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Life's too short :whistle:.
Whatever is most convenient.

Hi
Another vote for full kettle,make a brew,put the rest in a Thermos for drinks later. No Run Offs,of nearly. 39.6/16ths" ins,or 16' 5" ins. (I said NEARLY,as i did not want to take my shoes and socks off,to count up to twenty,twenty two,if you hail from Narfoolk:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:). You could think "Save the Planet" by only washing once a week,this is a win, win,as you also conserve Natural Body Oils.
All joking aside,Langtoftlad is spot on,a very close mate,who would do anything for anyone,had "Indigestion last night ? Got it again today AM. lunch time his wife drove him to Tondela hospital,who took one look at him and stuck him in an Ambulance of to Viseu hospital where they fitted three Stents.
And this is a man of 62 yrs,who weighs most of his food out and is very active,does not smoke and drinks very little alchohol.
I would think that to see/get Gas--Whatever savings,(You cannot see the Gas(y)) it would take you at least a year,keeping records etc. This time could be spent enjoying yourselves,so. Stay Well,Stay Lucky,and forget about the Gas/Whatevers.
Tea Bag.
PS. They say that Hair,will self clean if left unwashed,long enough.......... Thats something else i left to late to try:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
boils a kettle for a cuppa, she saves any extra water

My water is as precious as the gas as I avoid campsites like the plague. So measure the water into the kettle using the cup or mug for the future cuppa (or mugga), actually not quite full, allowing for the milk to be added. Not a drop wasted !!

Now if that isn't a canny Scotsmans' solution nothing is ! :whistle:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
My water is as precious as the gas as I avoid campsites like the plague. So measure the water into the kettle using the cup or mug for the future cuppa (or mugga), actually not quite full, allowing for the milk to be added. Not a drop wasted !!

Now if that isn't a canny Scotsmans' solution nothing is ! :whistle:
Hi.
"Mugga". On the docks in Hull,mid morning break would be taken when one of the workers ship side shouted "Mugga". Now it was..Alleged.. That if you stood outside Hull Jail, opposite Alexandra dock at about that time and shouted "Mugga" Quite a number of arms would be thrust out of the cell windows :whistle::whistle:...? Old habits die hard.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Drink tea for breakfast then Jaeger Bombs for the rest of the day. You'll hardly use any gas (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi.
"Mugga". On the docks in Hull,mid morning break would be taken when one of the workers ship side shouted "Mugga". Now it was..Alleged.. That if you stood outside Hull Jail, opposite Alexandra dock at about that time and shouted "Mugga" Quite a number of arms would be thrust out of the cell windows :whistle::whistle:...? Old habits die hard.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag
Not seen Hull Jail then? There's a ruddy great wall so you wouldn't be able to see the arms ... unless you were inside too .... :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I know how much I need to fill the bowl, be it for dish washing or face washing in the van. I'm very happy to heat the amount I need and sometimes mix it with cold water to get the correct temperature.

Tight? moi?

Gordon

PS I save the "run off" water in 2l milk bottles to water the plants or to rinse soapy water off cups and glasses, thus saving even more money. ;)
I totally understand what you do and also do that myself if I can - for hot water at home the large water tank has to be heated which is very wasteful in addition we have a VERY long run from the boiler to our kitchen sink so I prefer to boil up a couple of kettles to do the washing-up if there's a lot, just one if not so much, as it saves running off (wasting) lots and lots of cold water to get the hot through especially worth considering now we're on a water meter (although I hated wasting it when we weren't!). Hubby on the other hand doesn't think twice about putting the boiler on and running the cold water through to get the hot ... drives me potty!

We did get an 'under sink' electric water boiler but it never got put in (so hubby sold it for more than we paid!) but I might instead invest in one of the cheaper under-sink instantaneous heaters which are easier to install which will solve the problem of wasting the water and heating more than is needed in the first place.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The wife's asked me tonight, if I boil a kettle or use the water heater.for washing up after teatime.
Which will save the most gas?
In the motorhome.
Me thinks the water heater will use more as its heating more water than would be needed.
To answer your question ... using a kettle will be the most efficient both in terms of gas usage and water usage.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Not seen Hull Jail then? There's a ruddy great wall so you wouldn't be able to see the arms ... unless you were inside too .... :D2
Hi Mel.
A trailer mate lived in Newtown - New Town ?? Flats, on the left,just before the jail on Hedon ? road,he could see in from his balcony,(our local was the Sportsman opposite Alex Docks),it was him who supplied the info,and it was mid 60's(n)...... Where have those years GONE!!!:unsure::unsure:.
Where was the park with the Wallabies running about lose ?,i put Pearson Park in a previous post,but i think that was where i rented a flat until first wife came up and we bought the house at Wawne.
Stay well,stay lucky,say Hello to King Billy for me,next time you pass.
Tea Bag
PS. Hull jail ? No,spent a night in a Police Station cell at the bottom of Lindum Hill/Monks road Lincoln. It was a case of mistaken identity ...nearly :whistle:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Where was the park with the Wallabies running about lose ?,i put Pearson Park in a previous post,but i think that was where i rented a flat until first wife came up and we bought the house at Wawne.
Stay well,stay lucky,say Hello to King Billy for me,next time you pass.
Tea Bag
PS. Hull jail ? No,spent a night in a Police Station cell at the bottom of Lindum Hill/Monks road Lincoln. It was a case of mistaken identity ...nearly :whistle:
I think the wallabies were in East Park but it was a long time ago, not sure what's there now although I heard that they'd revamped the 'water splash' but not been to see myself! Do you remember the birds in Pickering Park? They're still there including the noisy parrots! No more canoeing on Pearson Park lake though.:(

As for King Billy ... do you remember what is missing from his statue? :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi
No, tell me please,last time i was near him ,i was in a Kingston brick phone box set into a wall about 50 yds away..."Dagger Gate?" drunk one Christmas eve,telling first wife to "Do" Christmas without me,i was then put under strict instructions from first wife not to move(Wish that i could have done the pubs were still open!!) as she had phoned a Taxi to come and find me and bring me home,which he did.... I can nearly remember the words he greeted me with."Are you T ?" Yesh says i. "Get in,your wife has asked me to find you and take you home............ I am glad i am not you,i don't think your Christmas is going to be very Merry. Many a true word spoken in Jest?.
Hull,"Land of Green Ginger",Coffee shops on every corner up the back alleys,magic people.
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi
No, tell me please,last time i was near him ,i was in a Kingston brick phone box set into a wall about 50 yds away..."Dagger Gate?" drunk one Christmas eve,telling first wife to "Do" Christmas without me,i was then put under strict instructions from first wife not to move(Wish that i could have done the pubs were still open!!) as she had phoned a Taxi to come and find me and bring me home,which he did.... I can nearly remember the words he greeted me with."Are you T ?" Yesh says i. "Get in,your wife has asked me to find you and take you home............ I am glad i am not you,i don't think your Christmas is going to be very Merry. Many a true word spoken in Jest?.
Hull,"Land of Green Ginger",Coffee shops on every corner up the back alleys,magic people.
Tea Bag.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi

No, tell me please
Despite him being sat on his horse he hasn't got any stirrups for his feet ... it's supposed to be like that but people think it's a fault:

There are several myths concerning the statue. The first is that Scheemaker committed suicide when he realised that he had forgotten the stirups but in fact as he is depicted as a Roman they didn't have stirrups at the time. It is also said that when the clock of Holy Trinity strikes midnight King Billy gets off his horse and goes for a drink in the nearby pub. It is also said that when it strikes thirteen the horse also get down for a pint!

http://factsabouthull.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/fact-28-most-impressive-equestrian.html

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

That does not work for me as I only put the two cups worth in the kettle to make a cuppa save time and gas that way.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This is why SWMBO is also called 'Squeaky' within the family.
If you want hot water and boil a kettle, don't fill the kettle with more than you need. (we're not talking drinks here).
Use LESS than you need but, when you've tipped it out, immediately put some cold water in the kettle and give it a swirl.
You'll be amazed how hot the water is that comes out, transferred from the metal of the kettle.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
OMG wish I'd never opened this thread like stepping into some weird other world.:doh::doh:
Don't waste gas making tea just drink beer.:cheers:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I just leave the water heater on all the time I am using the MH. No waiting for it to heat up and gas is pretty cheap (refillable Alugas 2x11kg)
I do roughly measure how much water I put in the kettle but that's because if it's full it takes twice as long to boil so I have to wait longer for my tea.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Obviously the kettle is the cheapest option uses a fraction of the amount of gas compared to the boiler heating 10 Lt of water.
What do we do, turn the boiler on, very convenient and LPG is so cheap the energy costs when away in the van are negligible compared to when at home in the house.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I would suggest that the boiler might be cheaper, on the assumption that it will be more efficient at imparting heat to the water than a kettle, which is not insulated and allows flames to leap around the edges. If you were to heat up the capacity of your boiler from scratch each time, it would be different, but that’s not the way it’s supposed to be used. If electricity is available for no additional charge, I suppose there may be a reason to use a kettle but the cost of heating for a bowlful of water will be measured in pennies and should barely be worth worrying about in the scale of things. Stick with the water heater for hot water. That’s what it’s there for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I just leave the water heater on all the time I am using the MH. No waiting for it to heat up and gas is pretty cheap (refillable Alugas 2x11kg)
I do roughly measure how much water I put in the kettle but that's because if it's full it takes twice as long to boil so I have to wait longer for my tea.
There's a way to get a cuppa even quicker ... boil only half the amount of water you need, put that in your cup with the tea bag and whilst it's mashing boil the other half, by which time your tea is nice and strong so put in the rest of the water to make it just right ... I've not intentionally done this, usually only when there's not been enough in the kettle in the first place, but it does work!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back