Which Tyrepal system? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We are planning on getting a Tyrepal system. Going to their site, tyre are two basic types; one with solar external sensors and one with internal sensors. Which type do people mostly have and is the added cost of the internal sensor worth having?

Also, I noted that neither are for use with aluminium tyre valves. I've no idea what the valves are made of on our Bailey van which is fitted with Michelin Camper tyres. I'd have said brass (judging by their colour).

Many thanks.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I got a TC215 with TCSO external sensors when I was tugging. Now using it with my moho as I usually tow a little trailer. It has been of use though without caravan or trailer: a couple of years ago I got into my vehicle at night and as soon as I turned the ignition on the system warned me that the front offside tyre was under-inflated, it had a slow puncture.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We have the tyrepal solar - the solar bit is the readout in the cab; the wheel sensors each have a button battery in them. You can run the readout on an USB cable but we've never needed to. We just turn if off, close the remis blinds and it's always been fine even after a 2 month lockdown. It shows pressure and the tyre temperature constantly for each tyre and you can set alarms for the pressure / temperature you want. It's smaller than a packet of fags and sits quite happily on a rubber 'tacky' pad on the dash. It's screen shows the Info for each tyre and if anythings outside of the parameters you set (or one of the wheel sender units needs a new battery it sounds an alarm and shows you what it thinks is wrong. IMO it's a brilliant bit of kit, well worth the cost (and gives much more info than the Toyota one does on our car).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have the Tyrepal Solar as well, works well.
A lot of the cheaper ones often don't work on Motorhomes as they haven't got the range for longer vehicles.

If you have a big van or a trailer you want to monitor Tyrepal do a range extender.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
The TC215 does pretty much what Burgo 's does, except it needs to be plugged into the fag-lighter socket. With my 7.34m moho it worked fine with all four tyres, but I needed to fit a relay so as to receive data from the trailer's tyres; therefore, you should be okay with your Bailey 620, unless you're also tugging something behind you.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
".....unless you're also tugging something behind you." Nothing intentionally. 😀

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got the previous version of this -

and as others have said it works well.

Wombles think there's a Funster discount code https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-code-for-funsters.194219/page-5#post-4276563

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We have the Tyrepal Solar as well, works well.
A lot of the cheaper ones often don't work on Motorhomes as they haven't got the range for longer vehicles.

If you have a big van or a trailer you want to monitor Tyrepal do a range extender.
Yeh , I’ve actually got a spare range extender & 2 spare senders
if anybody needs them

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yeh , I’ve actually got a spare range extender & 2 spare senders
if anybody needs them
Hiya
Is it spare sensors you have 'cause funnily enough I was about to order one from Tyrepal?

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Hiya
Is it spare sensors you have 'cause funnily enough I was about to order one from Tyrepal?
Yeh 2 spare wheel sensors & a repeater was bought for a tag & trailer
coukd be yours 😁

repeater & 2 sensors £40 + delivery if anybody needs it

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I did have the Tyrepal system on my van and trailer mainly for the run to Spain each Winter, sold the trailer so have taken the sensors of the van as well. I might refit them or might not.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Ingwe it's all good advice from those posting as always (y) We are fans of TyrePal as a safety product which is what we have posted so often about it & negotiated the Fun discount code as mentioned above by Gellyneck. Although we have the internal sensors (Citroen) fitted by the manufacturer in our motorhome tyres they were slower to react when we picked up a nail in our tyre on the motorway than the TyrePal Solar unit (with external sensors) so all our vehicles have TyrePal Solar in addition to manufacturer fitted in tyre TPMS & have done for several years now.
For the last year or two think that the sensors have been nickel plated so can be used with any type of stem but please do double check with TyrePal if this might be a concern.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the advice, comments and feedback.
Have opted for the solar colour pro monitor and 4 tcso sensors. With discount, £93 including 1st class postage. Arriving today hopefully.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I have a dissenting view. having had one of these systems for a year I am considering removing it.
Yes it works (after a fashion) but I have found the readings a bit erratic. Worse though is the faff it causes when topping up. Often I have to remove the wheel cover as it's hard to get to the valve otherwise (means cutting the cable ties used to stop them being pinched)
The silly little spanner provided to loosen the locking nut was designed by a moron. When you eventually get the sensor off you then have to remove that nut completely in order to fit the air nozzle.
Once done it all has to be put back (again cursing the spanner designer), replace the wheel covers and fit two fresh cable ties.
All this is making me think it's better to stick with the old fashioned method of checking your pressures regularly. Just saying....

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
When you eventually get the sensor off you then have to remove that nut completely in order to fit the air nozzle.
I agree it is a bit of a hassle to remove the sensor but unless you have a slow leak you don't have to do this very often.
You don't have to remove the nut - you can just wind it down further onto the valve so that the nozzle will fit on.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I agree it is a bit of a hassle to remove the sensor but unless you have a slow leak you don't have to do this very often.
You don't have to remove the nut - you can just wind it down further onto the valve so that the nozzle will fit on.
Yeah, thought the same, it wouldn't go down far enough so the filler nozzle failed to clamp on. I've left them on for now and will see if I have a better 2nd year. If not they will end up in the classifieds....!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yip, agree. Having said that I use a screw on tyre inflator that works well.
I find it's trying to get the rubber boot pushed back \ pulled back over the sensors that's the pain.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I have a dissenting view. having had one of these systems for a year I am considering removing it.
Yes it works (after a fashion) but I have found the readings a bit erratic. Worse though is the faff it causes when topping up. Often I have to remove the wheel cover as it's hard to get to the valve otherwise (means cutting the cable ties used to stop them being pinched)
The silly little spanner provided to loosen the locking nut was designed by a moron. When you eventually get the sensor off you then have to remove that nut completely in order to fit the air nozzle.
Once done it all has to be put back (again cursing the spanner designer), replace the wheel covers and fit two fresh cable ties.
All this is making me think it's better to stick with the old fashioned method of checking your pressures regularly. Just saying....
I completely agree, they are a pain!

I don’t use the lock nuts now, problem solved. Easy off and easy on. Twice a year to top up and done in seconds.

If they are going to nick them, they will nick them and won’t find out it’s easier than they thought till they try, in which case, they can have them.

The rubber boot is still on and I don’t find that too bad.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On our Flair we had the TC215 with TCSF flow thru monitors, https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/tcsf/ being twin wheel rear axle we already had piped valve extensions to a convenient spot in the wheel trims, this allowed the refilling of the tyre without having to disturb the monitor at all, worked a treat for 7 years with batteries every 2 years.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I completely agree, they are a pain!

I don’t use the lock nuts now, problem solved. Easy off and easy on. Twice a year to top up and done in seconds.

If they are going to nick them, they will nick them and won’t find out it’s easier than they thought till they try, in which case, they can have them.

The rubber boot is still on and I don’t find that too bad.
Practical solution. I will go for that the next time I have to remove them. Cheers.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a tip - carry some spare batteries. On our Norway trip the bloody thing was driving me nuts until I realised it was the battery in one sensor. But could I get a replacement? Taking the offending unit off the wheel didn't help because the receiver unit then complained!

But I'd still recommend them - I know I shouldn't but I tend to rely on them to keep an eye on the pressures. As others have said, taking the senders off (locknut type) is a real PITA.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just a tip - carry some spare batteries. On our Norway trip the bloody thing was driving me nuts until I realised it was the battery in one sensor. But could I get a replacement? Taking the offending unit off the wheel didn't help because the receiver unit then complained!

But I'd still recommend them - I know I shouldn't but I tend to rely on them to keep an eye on the pressures. As others have said, taking the senders off (locknut type) is a real PITA.
and the spares to carry are CR1632's. Just ordered some spares as replaced them earlier this week.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012

Mine came with a spare set of batteries which I thought was a nice touch for a cheap version.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
On our Flair we had the TC215 with TCSF flow thru monitors, https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/tcsf/ being twin wheel rear axle we already had piped valve extensions to a convenient spot in the wheel trims, this allowed the refilling of the tyre without having to disturb the monitor at all, worked a treat for 7 years with batteries every 2 years.
Great tip... why have I not seen these before... I too have duallies to will be so much simpler 👍👍👍👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back