Which Truma? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Carthago 143 LE Comp
Exp
I'm speccing my Malibu van and being a complete newbie I would like any opinions on Truma 6E (gas electric) versus D6E (diesel electric). The diesel one would seem to be most versatile but someone told me they can smell of diesel which would rule it out.....any help gratefully received. Glad I found this site!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Toss a coin, pros and cons for both reguardless of which one I wouldn't other with the electric option. The electric elements are only 2 x 900 watt and prone to fail, also diesel/gas is a lot cheaper than paying for EHU.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've had diesel heaters but not a Truma, so my experience is limited. Never-the-less, I'll share my thoughts:
Diesel heaters can smell when operating, but that's outside.
A diesel leak would smell but so would gas, but i would not plan for that.
Diesel may be easier to obtain in remote places but is much more expensive than gas, especially if using forecourt LPG.
I saved a considerable amount by not having the electric option, much more than I'd ever expect to save in terms of gas/diesel. If you are going to use EHU, you could always take a fan heater and kettle (much less expense and more easily replaceable).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also diesel have high start up current so if your batteries are low they won't fire up.
If your fuel tank is less than a ¼ full they won't work.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
Hello Mountainbiker We have the Truma D6 in our van and used it quite extensively for the last two years. I find it very efficient and quiet after the initial 'firing up' never smelled any fume in the van and only faint whiff outside on start up. The diesel usage is hard to accurately quantify, however, anecdotally I would suggest very little. I understand gas is cheaper but I like being to get diesel anywhere and it allows me to have a small gas cylinder in the cupboard. Hope this is of use and welcome to the forum!
Nigel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back