Which Triumph (Hinkley) would you buy? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I ve had 2 Hinkley Triumphs in the past. I had a 900 Sprint Sport and later had a 955 Tiger.

I loved the Tiger but in the end sold it because SWMBO was complaining it was too much of a climb onto the pillion (to be fair it was)

Having been without a bike for a while because I didnt have a house garage I'm now looking for something comfortable but with enough get up and go to make it fun, been looking at the (97-04) Thunderbird Sport (better brakes), just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a characterful comfortable weekend machine?

Jon

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Speed Triples are good I’ve been told.
No idea what years they made them, not ridden one either to be fair.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Speed Triples are good I’ve been told.
No idea what years they made them, not ridden one either to be fair.

Yes look like fun but don't think they will pass the comfort test. I don't want to spoil her too much but she probably does need a seat to sit on:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Might be worth trying the bonneville (hinckley) for pillion friendliness

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
When you get a bike for comfort send seat to Tony Archer who modifies it with a nice contoured comfort padded cover.I got my Deauville done (£100 + £10 p/p ) and is more comfortable than past gel etc. Another choice is a Airhawk (blow up ) but that makes bike a little higher

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
When you get a bike for comfort send seat to Tony Archer who modifies it with a nice contoured comfort padded cover.I got my Deauville done (£100 + £10 p/p ) and is more comfortable than past gel etc. Another choice is a Airhawk (blow up ) but that makes bike a little higher

Glad I read this thread, Need my Honda CX500 seat rebuilding and was looking for a reliable source to do the job, looked at Tony's website and had him on my short list, your recommendation has made up my mind, Thanks. (y)

Reactions: f6c
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Look no further......

That seems cheap, but I would like a shot at a Thruxton R.

Superb reviews just seems a bit expensive for a twin.

2016-triumphthruxton1200r-10.jpg

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Glad I read this thread, Need my Honda CX500 seat rebuilding and was looking for a reliable source to do the job, looked at Tony's website and had him on my short list, your recommendation has made up my mind, Thanks. (y)
I can also recommend Tony Archer. I had a pad made for the Wing to raise the seat height as it was too low for me to ride comfortably. He matched it to the existing seat and People don't even know it's there unless I point it out.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The downside is it's so beautiful would you dare getting it dirty ?

I'm happy if my bike looks used. But the insides are immaculate.

Having restored bikes to both look good & ride well, I love to thrash the nuts off them, cos that's what they're for! IMO:)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Speed Triple is a great bike but not brill for the pillion, Thruxton R is a fantastic bike but pillion space is equally lacking.
Best allrounder is the Tiger 800, goes and stops well, fit PR 4 / 5s and it will handle VERY well. Good for the lady on the back, fit a top box (Skip) to make her feel safer and away you go.
If not.. the Bonnie T120 is a cracking bike, think upright Thruxton with a bit less power, but de cat it, new air filter and Power commander and it will fly..
FYI The build quality of the ones made in Thailand are easily equal to the UK built ones, all designed, QC ed and tested here and Spain.
Good hunting.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
How about one of these Daytona 1200se, Grandson has his eye on my one. He is only eleven so I get to keep it for a while yet

2018_10_23_20.58.24.png

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Has anybody been on the Triumph factory tour? I'm trying to arrange one for a group of mates next March.
Wat U fink?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Our VMCC group has just been but I don't think they were over impressed. It was a non-production day so there wasn't much to see.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The downside is it's so beautiful would you dare getting it dirty ?

I'm happy if my bike looks used. But the insides are immaculate.

I'm so disappointed, Ive kept it open and then this morning Ive noticed that the rear foot pegs are set high (presumably because of the different exhaust) but they look to high for anyone other than the tiny tenacious girlfriends you see folded on the back of sports bikes. I wonder if this is why the mileage is so low? I had the same feeling a few years ago when I really wanted a Ducati ST4 until we both got on it where I was low but comfortable but Sue was perched way above me.

Jon

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
W800.jpg
Why bother with a Triumph when this machine is available.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the rear foot pegs are set high (presumably because of the different exhaust)
Jon

It is so common these days, the pillion being a second class citizen. I was slavering over a Street Triple but the passenger seating was a joke, not that wife rides with me much these days. We had the same problem with the original 600 Fazer, great bike but I had to drop the rear pegs on it.

Maybe the current success of "adventure" bikes is because of sensible seating. It certainly gets my vote even though I have no desire to "be" Ewan McGregor or take to the rough stuff. Triumph are very limited in Adventure, why not go and test ride a Tracer 900 or Vstrom 1000.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
It is so common these days, the pillion being a second class citizen. I was slavering over a Street Triple but the passenger seating was a joke, not that wife rides with me much these days. We had the same problem with the original 600 Fazer, great bike but I had to drop the rear pegs on it.

Maybe the current success of "adventure" bikes is because of sensible seating. It certainly gets my vote even though I have no desire to "be" Ewan McGregor or take to the rough stuff. Triumph are very limited in Adventure, why not go and test ride a Tracer 900 or Vstrom 1000.

Valid points Brian but the Street is a "full on" sports bike, so pillion is not an option that would be used often. The Speed triple is remarkably good for a pillion, had my daughter on one for some long 400 mile days and she was surprisingly OK on it.
Tiger 800 is a good 2 up bike or as I said before the T120..

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Valid points Brian but the Street is a "full on" sports bike, so pillion is not an option that would be used often. The Speed triple is remarkably good for a pillion, had my daughter on one for some long 400 mile days and she was surprisingly OK on it.
Tiger 800 is a good 2 up bike or as I said before the T120..

Yes, I have ridden a new Bonneville and it was Ok but I didnt care for the parallel twin engine much, found it a bit sterile. But I do also remember riding a newish bonnie in early eighties hating it, so some improvement.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Yes, I have ridden a new Bonneville and it was Ok but I didnt care for the parallel twin engine much, found it a bit sterile. But I do also remember riding a newish bonnie in early eighties hating it, so some improvement.
900 or 1200? Very different engines. I really like the 1200 engine (and the new 900 just launched ) had a Thruxton for a while and loved the torque in any gear but everyone to whatever they like ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back