Which tow vehicle and why? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Alex and Lesley We tow a Fiat Panda 4x4 with our 4500 kg Hymer and it works well for us it’s our everyday car when home and when out on rough and boggy ground ground it’s a very capable little car we take our two dogs with us to Spain for the winter and do lots of birding in lots of areas that would be hard to get at in lower cars.
We have a Phoenix car twin axle trailer which weighs in at around 500kg
F3D9A4FC-7232-4CCD-8814-D33DC86D3FD3.jpeg

OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
we did this the other way round, we already had a very low mileage daihatsu sirion which we use at home. would be a waste to change it just to suit the motorhome. turns out it is perfect as a towcar, on the trailer and on the a frame

5 doors, 5 seatbelts, 900cc, takes us 3dogs and shopping anywhere comfortably
Wife already has a Suzuki Vitara but between it and the trailer would be just on or just over 2 tonnes so even although it might just be legal we don’t want to run so tight also don’t want to put the trailer under so much continual stress.

OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Alex and Lesley We tow a Fiat Panda 4x4 with our 4500 kg Hymer and it works well for us it’s our everyday car when home and when out on rough and boggy ground ground it’s a very capable little car we take our two dogs with us to Spain for the winter and do lots of birding in lots of areas that would be hard to get at in lower cars.
We have a Phoenix car twin axle trailer which weighs in at around 500kg
View attachment 322375

Thanks Speve that looks a possibility, can I ask have you weighed the trailer with the car on it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I sold my Snart Car and Trailer, and went back to a Tow Car? Toyota Aygo. Trailer was too much hassle, loading, unloading, parking 3 vehicles on a pitch, storing it at home. I’ll risk it if I take it to Spain, which I know is illegal there. Having said that spoke to a few Brits in Spain with tow cars, and only one had ever been stopped.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Speve that looks a possibility, can I ask have you weighed the trailer with the car on it?
Yes it comes out @ around 1690 KG but depends on how much fuel and whether you have spare wheel also what you have in the car.
The van usually ends up about 4000KG when loaded for longer trips.
Our gross train weight is 6000 KG so we are usually pretty much fully loaded when doing three or four month trips.
We have a space saver spare and usually put the Kampa pro air awning in it whilst traveling, trying not to have to much kit in there is a good idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex and Lesley
Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Alan, Fiat Panda must weigh about the same as the Jimny as well by my calculations, possibly similar for the Fiat 500?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back