Which Solar Panel ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Snitrats, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Ratings:
    +213
    Just looking to buy a 100 watt solar panel kit. But I am trying to get my head around why some are £199. then go to £400 plus.I do believe you generally get what you pay for, but is there realy that much difference? Any tips on what to look for would be appreciated.:Cool:before I hit the buy button!

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,215
    Then you'd be very wrong in this case. New(ish) technology being used to rip off the numpties.

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,389
    "Solar panels are either amorphous silicon which are commonly used in calculaters, toys and consumer electronics, polycrystalline which are made from molten silicon that is poured into a mould and then sliced into cells or monocrystalline, these cells are slices of pure crystalline silicon ingot making them very efficient. "

So Look for MONOCRYSTALLINE... I have had 2 "cheapies" 80w panels off ebay, 1 was over 2 years ago and still active on my old van.. Been more than pleased with them, same panel now are £108..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PV-80-Wat...50796336859?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item231c297edb

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Ratings:
    +4,188
    Polycrystalline are just as good but amorphous are a big NO NO :thumb:

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +21,987
    Having been through the process of making a solar panel I can tell you that all the commercial ones are of a similar quality. The construction process used is the same across all manufacturers and the materials used all come from the supplier.

So, if it is a monocrystaline spending £400 for what you can get for £99 off ebay makes no sense in my opinion. I have 3 80 Watts on my van from the cheapest suppliers on ebay. They have dropped a shed load in the last year though. I paid £150 for mine, now down to £99.00 inc free delivery.