Which Solar Panel ??? Flexi Or Rigid? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, another Solar Panel thread!

Our current PVC has an Alden 75w rigid panel which is around 8/9 years old and is staying on when we px it- we found that we had enough 'input' from it to keep us going indefinitely as we don't use a lot of power.

At Peterborough show we picked-up a couple of very, very reasonably priced flexible solar panels, a 60w and 40w, and we were thinking of using the 60w on our new PVC but I'm now wondering if a normal 'non-flexi' panel would be more suitable partly due to the 'ribbed' nature of the roof and also that we could fit a larger (probably 100w) panel instead of the 60w (although the flexi panels are supposed to give a higher output than the equivalent rigid type solar panel).

Your thought on this would be appreciated please - we pick the van up on Thursday so will want to fit one not too long afterwards hence will need to order a rigid one if that's the way to go.

Ta muchly!

:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have read about heat issues with flexipanels when stuck down on the roof... ! Unlike standard ali framed ones they have no airflow underneath to cool them..
Cant offer any more info but may be worth investigating..
Spoke with a dealer at one show and he was almost confirming he did not like to sell them for motorhomes...

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have a 100w flexible panel on our ribbed roof PVC and it works well but not as efficient as a free standing one which is angled towards the sun. It might be easier to site a 60w and a 40w than a 100w panel which is quite big. We have not had any heat problems in the UK.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Flexi panels here as well, doddle to fit keeps out of slipstream and branches, the temperature fallacy you can ignore, you loose a couple of percent efficiency at higher temperatures but guess what! Higher temperatures mean more sun so isn't a problem,
And stating the obvious when it's hot/ sunny you use less power anyway,
but use a quality MPPT controller to maximise output,

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
@Ranger - did you somehow manage to fix the flexi panel directly to the roof ribs or did you mount it on something rigid and then attach that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Have always gone flexi easy to fix, screw and/glue went for Mono crystal works a treat :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what would a pair of panels and kit weigh please..as might go for this on next camper, but payload an issue for me as restricted to 3500..Have never considered them in the past.

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
what would a pair of panels and kit weigh please..as might go for this on next camper, but payload an issue for me as restricted to 3500..Have never considered them in the past.
If you go flexi, weigh virtually nothing as are ether backed onto a thin glass fibre sheet or thin aluminium

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

I have two of these, weight 2.80kg each plus a few meters of cable and a reg, probly less than 8kg at a guess(y)
IMG_0596[1].JPG

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
two x 100 watt panels and ally angle as brackets ,cable , and a reg would be less than 15kg .add two batteries thats where the weight is .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if i was buying new now . i would give these a go.
gotta be a bargain .
every m,home should have a roof full.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Flexi panels here as well, doddle to fit keeps out of slipstream and branches, the temperature fallacy you can ignore, you loose a couple of percent efficiency at higher temperatures but guess what! Higher temperatures mean more sun so isn't a problem,
And stating the obvious when it's hot/ sunny you use less power anyway,
but use a quality MPPT controller to maximise output,
We can only use a LR1218 charger with the Schaudt unit - we've 'committed' to buy one off Ebay (just waiting for an invoice including the P&P to the UK) - it's a bit pricey at around £62 but still £18 cheaper than getting it here! It will allow the cab and habitation batteries to be charged and also it has some other benefits apparently:

The cost of a LR1218 includes cables, instructions, Charge Control for both the Starter and the Habitation batteries. We think it is one of the most cost effective regulators around, competing on output in UK conditions with regulators costing twice as much.

It uses Pulse Width Modulation and the voltage boost technology used to good effect in the EBL range giving a higher charge output than standard regulators.

However, the most important function as far as the Schaudt Elektroblock range is concerned is that the regulator has the DATA cable output that is essential when wiring the newer Elektroblock range like the EBL 100, EBL 101, EBL 220, etc. This data cable provides the EBL with the Solar charge rate information that allows the EBL to co-ordinate all the charging functions. Without this information the EBL can shut down leaving the MH without any 12v power.

When the sky is cloudy the Solar panel voltage may drop below 12.4V, when this happens it's value in charging a battery is zero. What the LR1218 does is boost this voltage at the expense of some current to keep the output nearer to 13V for maximum battery charge. So the Solar panel is able to produce a higher charge in lower light levels than many other Regulators.
http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/lr-1218.php

So whilst a bit 'expensive' it looks like it's a good quality piece of kit.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
As above so no need to drill into roof for fixings of frame work,
And as they are sealed all around the edge much more secure then framework brackets that are bonded but not screwed, IMO

I have a EBL101 and also a MPPT controller and I have had no problems with the onboard charger, they all seem to work together harmoniously, well at least they have done over the last three years,
I just Hope I'm not tempting provenance by saying that!

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
On the voltage front if the regulator will accommodate it you can wire your panels in series for 24v or use 24v panels ,the regulator will bring down to the 14v required charging range and you have a margin for voltage drop due to cloud etc.
Oh yes the flexi panels normally have eylets at the corners so I go glue and screw :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back