LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Hi. I have to go for some hospital tests in Chelsea on Saturday and Monday. I won‘t be able to drive for a couple of days after,. So rather than use a hotel, we are thinking of either the CCC sites of Chertsey or Walton on Thames. We know Chersey is a bit further out. But can’t see anything much closer other than Crystal Palace.
watchathink?

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I don’t know Chertsey but have stayed at Walton on Thames. W-o-T is a nice site with quite a rural feel to it, the train service into London is about 2-3 times per hour. The only drawback is that it’s about 1-1 1/2 miles to the station, so if you couldn’t walk/cycle it you’d need a taxi. It’s a small station with, as I recall, no ‘resident’ taxis, but I’m sure you could arrange a private hire if necessary.

We stayed there 5 days, travelling into London each day, and it’s worthwhile to get a railcard if you haven’t already got one.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
With London, the long distance commuter trains in from places beyond the M25 are very efficient and regular. So you don't need to pick a site by closeness in miles.
It's more important to find a site that is close to a railway station that will take you into one of the London termini

The Royal C&W can be a bit difficult to get to, especially if you are not very mobile, as it's a 20+ minute walk from any station, so you will need to use a bus (of which there are many).
You will probably also need to use a tube to get from the London termini to closest tube station, and then take the bus

I recommend you use the TFL journey planner (or even just google maps) and compare sites.
For example the Woollett Hall Farm site is walking distance to a station and would take you about 90 mins to get to the RC&W by train, tube and bus

Warning:
London buses do not take cash.
You pay by App, debit card or Oyster card
Paying by cash at Tubes and train stations can be difficult as they are not really geared up for accepting cash.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
One issue is I have to have a Covid test on Saturday morning, then isolate until my Monday morning appointment. A hotel works but is not the same as being in the mojie.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I think that ease of access to public transport to Chelsea more important than the actual distance.
Somewhere near a bus stop ,rail or tube line could make it much quicker and easier to get to the hospital.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Henlow Bridge Lakes & Riverside. 5 mins walk to Arlesey station, frequent trains direct to Kings Cross if that's any good?

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I think that ease of access to public transport to Chelsea more important than the actual distance.
Somewhere near a bus stop ,rail or tube line could make it much quicker and easier to get to the hospital.
Once I have had the covid test on Saturday, I can't use public transport as part of the isolation until I leave the hospital on Monday pm. So private taxi only from the hospital back to the van, and the reverse on Monday morning. Thats unless I can walk to/from a hotel of course. Using the van might seem daft, but its a long time stuck in a hotel!
Just thought about Airbnb as a possible alternative. Probably more expensive, but I'll have a look

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If you need it the Chertsey C&CC site have their toilet blocks open, Walton doesn't. Interestingly, despite the pressures of Covid, Walton always seems to be on the late availability list, which suggests it's not that popular. It's certainly tucked away and a long walk even to the nearest pub. I would suggest it's even stevens for whether Hersham Station for Walton, or Chertsey Station for Chertsey is furthest, both are going to be a mile or so, but Hersham will be the better service towards Waterloo. Haven't stayed on either site (both are close to me), but I'd prefer the idea of Chertsey.

It may also be worth looking at Horsley C&CC. May seem a tad further out, but looks to be a bit closer to a rail station

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We've just done Abbeywood CAMC. Lovely but too far to taxi I suspect

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi. I have to go for some hospital tests in Chelsea on Saturday and Monday. I won‘t be able to drive for a couple of days after,. So rather than use a hotel, we are thinking of either the CCC sites of Chertsey or Walton on Thames. We know Chersey is a bit further out. But can’t see anything much closer other than Crystal Palace.
watchathink?

Check you don't fall foul of the LEZ. Those Hymers are often >3500kg. You'll need Euro IV (soon to be Euro VI) to go within the zone, which doesn't exactly follow the M25, but is rarely far away.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
watchathink?

You could always go a bit further out and find somewhere pretty near a station. There's a couple of sites at Henley on Thames near the river and a reasonable walk to the station.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
You can get to both Chertsy and Walton outside the LEZ
walton is one of our favourites when we visit family in London
love the rural feel.
It’s never felt busy - members only and no facilities.Hersham s nearer but it’s a nice walk to Esher as well!
havent used it but there’s a sign to a supermarket At the top of the entrance lane - local shop I expect.

Tonysswift

Free Member
Jun 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bellero
Exp
The nearest main line station is Victoria, to Chelsea so take that into account where staying

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As you have to use private taxi from MH to the hospital, then maybe airbnb would be cheaper?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Crystal Palace to Victoria is a very regular Rail service. Then maybe black cab or Uber to the hospital.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
As you have to use private taxi from MH to the hospital, then maybe airbnb would be cheaper?
Thanks Annie. Just looked at airbnb and some really nice apartments locally to the Royal Brompton. We love being in the 'van, but this looks the most sensible option now as I can walk too the hospital.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We always stay at Aldborough Hall Farm CL at Newbury Park.

A local site for us, but can’t use it because of the 8.2m limit In place. Superb though for getting into town quickly.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Wyatts Covert (Denham). Not too long a walk to Denham Station?. I`ve seen motorhomes parked in the car park there before to-day?.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
You could always use the Fulham Travel lodge. Its £77 for 2 nights. You could either get a cab or walk to hospital and back. its about a 20 min walk
1602008738016.png

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You could always use the Fulham Travel lodge. Its £77 for 2 nights. You could either get a cab or walk to hospital and back. its about a 20 min walk

Wow, I hadn't realised London hotel prices had collapsed so spectacularly.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Thanks everyone. What a great resource this is.
We have just booked a very smart looking apartment in Chelsea. more expensive probably than combined site and private cabs, but safe and easy walking distance. A first for us. Never used airbnb before.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks everyone. What a great resource this is.
We have just booked a very smart looking apartment in Chelsea. more expensive probably than combined site and private cabs, but safe and easy walking distance. A first for us. Never used airbnb before.
I use it a lot, always had a good experience. Best wishes for your trip and I hope the tests go well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back