Which Sikaflex product to use? (1 Viewer)

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Which Sikaflex product are you comparing it with? They have 56 adhesives and 71 sealants alone.

I worked in marinas and around boats all my working life, I have trusted mine and others safety to the strength of the bond provided by the APPROPRIATE Sikaflex product in many critical situations. TEC7 is a generic sealant / adhesive, it is in no way comparable in quality to Sikaflex.

The key issue with Sikaflex and other similar chemical fixings is that amateurs do not follow the proper instructions with regards to cleaners and primers - there are again a whole range of individual products to match up with specific sealant or adhesives and a lot of people think a swipe down with acetone will suffice - it won't.
Ditto, have used Sikaflex products on above and below the waterline for years without drama. If the marine industry use it, it’s good. The alternative is your through-hull fittings fail and you sink (quickly).

Last edited:

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Which Sikaflex product are you comparing it with? They have 56 adhesives and 71 sealants alone.

I worked in marinas and around boats all my working life, I have trusted mine and others safety to the strength of the bond provided by the APPROPRIATE Sikaflex product in many critical situations. TEC7 is a generic sealant / adhesive, it is in no way comparable in quality to Sikaflex.

The key issue with Sikaflex and other similar chemical fixings is that amateurs do not follow the proper instructions with regards to cleaners and primers - there are again a whole range of individual products to match up with specific sealant or adhesives and a lot of people think a swipe down with acetone will suffice - it won't.
That is your experience...I have mine... I am not saying what people should or should not use....I just suggested the OP should take a look at it, I have found it to be an excellent product... there are alternatives to Sika you know...or perhaps as you are suggesting being an amateur I didn't know what I was doing when using it.. I used Sika twice when attaching the outer saildrive gaiters to the hull of my Catamaran...meticulously prepared and cleaned.....both times the gaiter/seals came off and disappeared in to the ocean....used Tec7 and they didn't budge in 4 yrs...and still rock solid when we sold the boat..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Euro330

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Update.
(if interested read it, if not dont as it goes on a bit)
Problems encountered so far.
Nothing that cant be overcome.
Thetford doors can be fitted with different makes of the lock barrels.
The barrel housings differ for different makes, but obviously all housings fit the Thetford doors.
The original locks fitted on MoHo were Fawo locks and the housings were white, new doors came fitted with Zadi locks and housings in Black.
Just waiting for doors 4 + 5 infills from Prima Leisure (via Perthshire Cravans) to get cracking on.

So far tried using different sealant/adhesive products on samples prior to affixing anything onto MoHo.
Without doubt the best for me to use is Sikaflex EBT+.
Clear for fitting new White GRP infill panel into new Thetford Black door 3, then will be same but in white for fitting the door frame into white GRP MoHo side wall. White because there will be a 2-3mm bead and clear wont look good
1 definate nono was Puraflex PU40.

PU40 Properties.
Although would be good for certain useage, for affixing external panels it would be no good at all for adhesion or a finishing bead. It remains quite sticky/putty like which would be terrible for cleaning or attracting rubbish sticking into it. However a positive was it is easily worked and cleaned of with Everbuild Wonder wipes which were recommended here. It remains very flexible but once placed not to close to a heat source (thinking of summer) (radiator) reverted back to being extremely sticky again. Very low adhesion.

Sikaflex EBT+ Properties.
Bit more difficult to work with, but the above wipes are great leaving a well cleaned surface. Very good adhesion, dries to a flexible dry rubber like finish and once cured remains same regardless of temperatures.
Bit more expensive but it is really negligible.

Couldnt get a Thetford External flush fill door in Black so removed existing 1, dismantled lock assemply and Plastic primed and Black Plasticoted flush door and Lock housing with final coat of Plasticote clear Satin final coat finish. I was a bit apprehensive about painting anything with a moving part, ie lock housing button, but having left to cure properly for over a week or so, has now been used several times there is no sign of paint flaking or coming off. Did same with Dometic fridge vents and fitted 3d Dometic decals, and Whale vent cover.
Heat displacement is absolutely minimal from the exhausts for above and having been fitted and used the heat is not affecting the Plasticote at all (no fumes poisoning us or heat staining).

I had to do same with new doors, replacing the new black lock housings with original white housings and painting them as above. The new doors accept original Thetford lock housings although the housings take different lock makes.
So currently have the original FAWO locks fitted into painted original housings, with matching original keys.
If need be in worst case scenario I will put the new Black lock housings back in and get a set of new matching Zadi lock barrels with matching keys if the painting of moving lock housing buttons start to flake, which I dont think they will now.

Todays job, fitting matching fit EHU socket and external fresh water filler neck in black, fitted with HEOs quick fill cap which resolves the lock issue for locking cap.

Then maybe nip out for a pint later! Oh no i cant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back