Which SatNav is best for motorhome (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've tried lots of different SatNavs. Most have been premium and none have done the job properly.
The ability to enter vehicle weight and measurements is a mere placebo. Sooner or later it will let you down. Those who say theirs has never failed just haven't tried hard enough!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We have three Garmin units, a Zumo 660 made for motorcycle usage, it's about eight years old and has had a hard life taking me across Europe for around 40,000 miles, has never gone wrong or taken me anywhere I didn't want to go.

I do mainly use Mapsource and create my own routes though.

The Camper satnav works perfectly as a guide, its about three years old, and was secondhand when I bought it.

My wife has an elderly Nuvi unit, and again is 100% reliable.

All are kept up to date with the latest maps.

Most of the issues with satnavs is I'm sorry to say, are largely down to user error, incorrect settings etc.

I know the some units can develope faults, but not all the time as depicted by some users.

Or perhaps I've been very lucky.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Help please. I bought the following satnav second hand... I charged it up and went into search... It came up with Manchester in the Town or city. I tried typing a town in (no option for postcode) but as soon as I got to the 3rd letter, it automatically put a strange Scottish name in and would not let me change it..... Useless. No matter wat I try, including reset, it won't let me type what I want in as my destination. Can anyone help please or is it bin time?

IMG_20201220_102201.jpg
IMG_20201220_102221.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Not got terribly good reviews I’m afraid, Joy.......
Did you get a manual with it......? :unsure:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I used a Chinese one without problems for a few years but then I would ignore some of its instruction since it was only a guide. Considering the price a great bit of kit.
(movan try putting in a post code or be a bit more specific about where in Manchester (it's a big place) like didsbury for instance.)

Since fitting an android head unit I run osmand+ for about £3 - it's a bit quirky to get started with but has got me to all the places I wanted to be.
Was going to try andriod auto (Google maps) this year but not had much of a chance.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I used a Chinese one without problems for a few years but then I would ignore some of its instruction since it was only a guide. Considering the price a great bit of kit.
(movan try putting in a post code or be a bit more specific about where in Manchester (it's a big place) like didsbury for instance.)

Since fitting an android head unit I run osmand+ for about £3 - it's a bit quirky to get started with but has got me to all the places I wanted to be.
Was going to try andriod auto (Google maps) this year but not had much of a chance.

Hi Berni if I try a postcode e. G. WA....... BEFORE I can put the rest it decides I am posting a town and automatically puts in e. g. Warrington or Wansworth or some other unknown. I think it is possessed!!! :oops:

I have just put it on charge in the kitchen and will try again having had it switched off for a while. Thanks for trying.

Jul 20, 2019
Stourbridge
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur LVX855 A
Exp
Since 2001
We use a Samsung galaxy s2 10" tablet running Copilot for caravans and Campercontact, two years ago we used it for our extensive travels in the Baltics , Germany and Poland and last year in France and Spain. Also extensively UK. We always plan our basic route using road maps so have a good idea of were we are going. We have found CoPilot to be excellent with only the occasional wobbly which we ignore, and the benefit of a 10" screen priceless.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Avtex Tourer. Not cheap but a brilliant bit of kit. I use mine all the time. You can put the weight and dimensions into it. If you’re still unsure have a quick look on google maps / street view. Not let me down yet.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We sold thousands of Sat Nav systems since the became available, and every system could throw you a curved ball every now and again

We would say its an “aide’ to driving, not a replacement for common sense.
We also carry and use paper maps, one of the things you can do is place a mark on it if you have stopped by a really nice spot or cafe. It can also stop ‘tunnel vision’ in that if you want to be a bit random and divert or stop elsewhere it gives you options a day nav cannot. ( not saying we do not use the sat nav but the paper map is a great resource).

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I have just purchased a Samsung galaxy tab A8 and loaded the new Igo Luna on it with tmc and Google map integration I have used Igo for years and it's never let me down yet, I just Bluetooth connection to the headunit for announcements and Internet radio.
Not had a chance to stretch its legs yet to see how luna preforms but am well impressed with its features and integration so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back