Which satelite for the uk freeview (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We stopped using our satelite system but now as we may use up too much data with our fire stick we need satelite tv.
It's a bit messed up how do I get channels set up ie which sat to set to and which transponder setting.
Thanks

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Freeview is through home aerial, FreeSat is through a dish. I'm afraid I don't know any more, our supplier set ours up. People will probably want to know your equipment, what dish and controller and hat receiver you have. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have a oyster dish and a avtex tv.
Just a bit messed up and I dont know how to set it up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Freesat broadcasts from the same fleet of satellites (Astra 2A, Astra 2F, Astra 1N ( soon to be replaced by Astra 2E) at 28.2°E

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said Freeview is terrestrial TV through an aerial with Freesat being the close satellite equivalent.
It gets a bit further complicated in that there is also free to air, etc alternatives.
If you want Freesat you need to get a licensed Freesat receiver unless your TV has one built in.
In terms of the full kit you'll need -
  • satellite dish
  • satellite dish controller (assuming an auto sat dish)
  • a Freesat receiver
  • a TV
  • associated cables, power supplies, etc for above
Our TV has an FTA receiver built in but that only gives now and next programme info so we went out and got a Manhattan SX receiver (c£45) which is Freesat and gives 7 days info. This is connected to our Snipe 2 dish.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Assuming your dish locks onto Astra2 at 28.2E, and I would be very suprised if doesn't, setting up the Avtex is relativly easy, if a bit long winded. If you don't have the Avtex instruction book I'd strongly advise downloading it.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Freesat broadcasts from the same fleet of satellites (Astra 2A, Astra 2F, Astra 1N ( soon to be replaced by Astra 2E) at 28.2°E

Info out of date by several years.
Currently Astra 2e, 2f and 2g at 28.2-5 carry UK TV (ie Freesat and Sky) channels.
2a was cleared of channels in March 2015
1n was only there temporarily from early 2012 to early 2014 to assist with the changes from the old to new satellites, before it moved to 19.2

For the OP:
Freeview is UKTV via a TV aerial. It is transmitted from the land based masts.
Freeview is NOT available via satellite.
(although there is a satellite up there at 27.5 that carries a handful (19) channels, in case links between Freeview masts fail)

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Mr Porky obviously it's a bit of a nightmare getting help at this time but I'm available should you wish to go through how to set up the Oyster system. I can be reached on 07979745688 from 3pm today or any time over the rest of the week (just haven't got the phone with me right now).

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Mr Porky obviously it's a bit of a nightmare getting help at this time but I'm available should you wish to go through how to set up the Oyster system. I can be reached on 07979745688 from 3pm today or any time over the rest of the week (just haven't got the phone with me right now).
That’s great I will ring later today thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back