which route Cadiz to Almeria and stopover (1 Viewer)

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Any views on best route from Cadiz to Almeria mid Nov? seems to be two options, via Granada or along south coast.
also would like a stopover for one night midway.
would prefer to miss snow too!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , why the rush. i would go th coast rd. stop off in gib to top up with english treats. only one stop over makes it abit of a rush , lots places to stop on the way. takes me about 2mths.have fun , drive carefully. cheers alan.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any views on best route from Cadiz to Almeria mid Nov? seems to be two options, via Granada or along south coast.
also would like a stopover for one night midway.
would prefer to miss snow too!!

There are two campsites and a big car park where people wild camp in Torre del Mar. Nice place, good shopping.

Nerja up the road is a lovely place and Funsters have camped on the central car park there. A must see is the Balcon de Europa and the caves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
will soon know where to park it will be like camper city around that area for the next 6-7 weeks. torremolinos .malaga beach, torrox, solabrena,guardes viegas it goes on . so many places by the sea or you can move abit inland for more, not too far as it gets higher n snowy. nice for a laugh. dont for get the hot springs at alhama de granada or sante fe. nice in the snow sat in hot springs having mulled wine goes down a treat.cheers alan.
ps, even better after dark with a few lanterns. then into warm van for supper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
alan/vwalan, that's an awful lot of places to choose from! now I know why it takes you 2 months.... as I've said previously, we don't travel as slowly as you. know we miss out on a lot of your fun but we all are different aren't we? you've given us lots to look up though and a great help to have so many choices.
brian/hilldweller, thanks for info on Torre del Mar. had looked at that already and highlighted a possible site. didn't know about Nerja and the caves and Balcon de Europa. will google those to read up on them.
if we see some interesting sights en route, we can always change our minds and take longer.
all helpful stuff! :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, could take weeks to get to gib.by thetime you visit conil ,verger,barbate,dont forget the roman ruins. canos de meca ,punta poloma. then on to the beaches before tarifa. then polmones beach near the idl and careffore . dont forget pina del ray(forest of the king )near by good for spring water. the route is paved with adventure. hope to be in barcelona about 25 of novthen working slowly down the coast ,may meet up with you somewhere. not going maroc this year so will be travelling even slower this year. there is so much to see . happy travels .alan.

Julie798

Free Member
Dec 17, 2007
Funster No
Almeria

Just out of interest, where in Almeria are you staying.
When I drive over, I just park in the restraunt carparks amongst the waggons, as I am not sight seeing just taking a nights break from driving.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
found a nice place just to the sea side of the airport right on the beach. not far from some fishermens cottages . bit noisey but you get used to it. by a wooded area.
sometimes you can stop in almerimar or roquettas or even aquaduce. sometimes stopin lidl car park in adra.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we can always change our minds and take longer.all helpful stuff! :Smile:

Now you are talking. It's what a MH is all about. Relax, the Spanish did not invent the word mañana for nothing.

We went by bike to Nerja a few years ago, it's that good. It's the perfect place to grab a table in the main square and just watch the world go parading by. I'm not so sure it works in November but have a look and you may decide to return. If you like Chinese food then not that far from the car park is a seriously good one, they do crispy beef to die for.

The caves will be good at any time of the year, loads of big sticky up things and stick down things.

ByRONic

Free Member
Nov 1, 2009
Funster No
hi vwalan (should it now not be Mitzialan?),
Why not Maroc this year? Not quite the place it used to be is it? At least not for motorcaravanners. I think the sense of adventure experienced in travelling through Maroc disappeared when Club 18-30 sprung up 50 meters from the Fna el Jmaa Marrakech, and I estimated maybe 1000 plus wildcamping motorcaravans at Taghazout, it all then became a bit passe. I was surprised last winter to see quite a few of the usual wild camp sites in Spain still viable. Perhap the Police crackdowns of recent years are being eased off, due to economic circumstances of course. The local tiendas would welcome the extra cash. Anyway here s hoping this winter for another vieja placido, and remember not to park up on the beach!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont be put off maroc .i just have to maybe get home quick . if need be. i would have been on my way if i could by now. there is still lots places to camp in maroc. we find more n more each year. like spain every year you find new places ,the old ones disapear new ones or places look more inviting.
cant change my name now spent too long repairing V W,s every body round here knows me as vw alan. i have a mate vw steve. same story.
must say the mitzy does a good job pulling the trailer. would buy another one or an isuzu. keep thinking 4x4 truck but think it would break the trailer. having an easy one this year ,i hope. keep on having fun its the only way. lifes too short. cheers alan.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Brian, you really have whetted our appetite to see Nerja!
Alan, the aim is to spend most of the winter at Camping Cabo de Gata (good rates for 61+ days) which is in a "natural park". eagles, wild boar, lovely wild flowers, hares, flamingos, etc. for those interested, there's a wild camp spot in the village on a huge car park, overlooking sea and next door to local police barracks. be warned, it can get a bit windy. can't use it Saturdays, as there's a weekly market on it every week. great for fresh fruit and veg and clothes (if that turns you on). very much a "locals" market, though all the campers around use it too. would be good to meet up with you.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, know it well . never quite got to stay too long in one place ,may keep coming back to a place .always on the look out for adventure, like i say havnt grown up yet. good job we are all different would be boring if all the same.my number is 00447971962361 keep it somewhere never know i might be of use. carry a few tools and welding gear so in an emergency can be usefull. also between my mates we can normaly pull most things out if stuck etc. hope to catch up with you on route. dont know when plans are open, and can change from one day to next sometimes. have fun, cheers alan.
ps.prefer tx when abroad cheaper.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, you really have whetted our appetite to see Nerja!

Just like the way we discovered Italy - TV holiday programs - we discovered Nerja. Our first visit we flew to Malaga and stayed in the Balcon de Europa Hotel, luckily we booked B&B because the joy of the place was eating out at different places round the town.

And we got lucky, we were munching away in the square when we heard this commotion in the distance. Not long afterwards this drunken effigy lurches into the square, you must have seen them, massive religious statue on top of massive barge carried by dozens of people. All lit up, lots of trumpets, drums. Then the two massive church doors opened and like an accident waiting to happen it lurched into the church. Even though it meant nothing as a religion it was a lovely spectacle.

Then there was a Peruvian pan pipe group turned up. It was magic in the warm evening. Not quite so magic on the tape player back home.

The we returned by bike to prove a pair of 62 year olds were not dead yet. We saw this creature on the Balcon. That electric bike was quick and she was totally fearless of it. Wonderful.

Attachments

• Balcon06.jpg
    Balcon06.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Alan, have noted tel no - yes, text is best, doesn't cost to receive like phone calls and voicemail.
Brian, sounds like it was a holiday you'll never forget - quite memorable.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back